General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Registered as "Unrepairable" What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Registered as "Unrepairable" What to do?

I can get my hands on a CHEAP C5 but the only problem is it is registered as unrepairable. Is is possible to register is for road use and if so how can I? I am in CA. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Why is it registered as unrepairable in the first place, what's wrong with the car?
Old 09-29-2010, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

The car is fine apart form the rear panel needs paint and it needs a new rim but everything else is fine. As I understood the previous owner before the seller didn't pay for registration so he didn't want to pay for the backed up fees so he just registered as unrepairable and sold it. That's all I know but if it is possible to get this thing registered than I want to do it.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Sorry, it is registered as "Non-repairable" Any way, could I register it as a salvage or custom built car? Any loop hole to this?
Old 09-30-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Call the dmv and ask or check their website? I've never heard of unrepairable, but there has got to be a way to get it back on the road. If not track car.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by motoo344
Call the dmv and ask or check their website? I've never heard of unrepairable, but there has got to be a way to get it back on the road. If not track car.
I haven't yet but I want to know if anyone has done it and if so what they had to go through. That is what I was thinking or maybe finding a totaled c5 and swapping the VINs
Old 09-30-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 22lambo
I haven't yet but I want to know if anyone has done it and if so what they had to go through. That is what I was thinking or maybe finding a totaled c5 and swapping the VINs

thats illegal......
Old 09-30-2010, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 30th6
thats illegal......
Damn......
Old 10-01-2010, 09:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 30th6
thats illegal......
Only if you get caught
Old 10-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Launching!

in ga the lowest it goes is salvage title i am pretty sure. i know that if it is due to damage u can have an inspector from the dmv come down and give u an inspection. in ga it cost $110. so in ca i sure it will be more. as far as back tag fee i dont think u will be responsible for them. the best thing u can do is the dmv or county tax commissioners office tell em the vin and they will be able to tell u every thing u need to no about it
Old 10-02-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 22lambo
The car is fine apart form the rear panel needs paint and it needs a new rim but everything else is fine. As I understood the previous owner before the seller didn't pay for registration so he didn't want to pay for the backed up fees so he just registered as unrepairable and sold it. That's all I know but if it is possible to get this thing registered than I want to do it.
I have never heard of back tag fees for not registering a car. That must be a left coast thing.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:06 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
I have never heard of back tag fees for not registering a car. That must be a left coast thing.
Damn straight. I'm out here in San Diego. After my mom killed herself in '98 I let her brand new Mustang GT sit in a parking stall for 6 years. When I finally decided to do something with the car, they charged me over a grand in back-tag fees...
Old 10-03-2010, 01:23 PM
Launching!

GA only goes back 3 years on tag fees but the OP said he picked up the c5 and the old owner may have had back tag fees. He shouldn't be responsible for the previous owners debt lol
Old 10-03-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by antsls1
GA only goes back 3 years on tag fees but the OP said he picked up the c5 and the old owner may have had back tag fees. He shouldn't be responsible for the previous owners debt lol
I really dont get this back tag fees. If I buy a project car & I dont drive the thing for lets say 5 years while I am doing bodywork, drivetrain, interior work etc I would owe the fees to register the thing for the 5 years I didnt have it on the road?
Old 10-03-2010, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

It probable works the same way with a house or any other asset carrying debt. The debt stays with the asset in most cases.
I really dont get this back tag fees. If I buy a project car & I dont drive the thing for lets say 5 years while I am doing bodywork, drivetrain, interior work etc I would owe the fees to register the thing for the 5 years I didnt have it on the road?
I dont know how all states work but im pretty sure here in NC you can unregister a car and not have to pay tags/taxes and then just re register it when your done and ready to drive it. That is completely different then just not paying the fees and saying "well im not driving the car"
Old 10-03-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

[QUOTE=Starz T/A 17;13942989]It probable works the same way with a house or any other asset carrying debt. The debt stays with the asset in most cases.

A house & a car are totally different. There will always be property taxes with real estate, not a car. Thats personal property.

Whether its paid off or not it shouldnt matter, you shouldnt have to pay BACK REGISTRATION for the amount of time the car wasnt registered if it wasnt driven.
I dont know how all states work but im pretty sure here in NC you can unregister a car and not have to pay tags/taxes and then just re register it when your done and ready to drive it.
Thats how it is here in Michigan. We dont have the "since its been 10 years that this 69 camaro has been registered you'll have to pay the registration fees for the last 10 years it wasnt registered" here.
That is completely different then just not paying the fees and saying "well im not driving the car"
No, its not. Simply put: unregistering a car is not applying for new plates when they expire. So if I blow the LS1 in my SS & I cant afford to fix it for a few years why should I buy new plates for it? If I choose not to renew my plates/registration its my car/personal property. If I get pulled over for driving with expired plates then I get a ticket. If its in my garage & I am not driving it, I am doing nothing wrong. Should a guy that has a very large car collection, lets say 30 cars. Should he have to buy plates for every one of them cars every year even though he will only drive 2 of them? If he doesnt should he have to pay for the years he didnt put them on the road? I wouldnt think so.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=flintwrench69;13943236]
Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
It probable works the same way with a house or any other asset carrying debt. The debt stays with the asset in most cases.

A house & a car are totally different. There will always be property taxes with real estate, not a car. Thats personal property.

Whether its paid off or not it shouldnt matter, you shouldnt have to pay BACK REGISTRATION for the amount of time the car wasnt registered if it wasnt driven.

Thats how it is here in Michigan. We dont have the "since its been 10 years that this 69 camaro has been registered you'll have to pay the registration fees for the last 10 years it wasnt registered" here.

No, its not. Simply put: unregistering a car is not applying for new plates when they expire. So if I blow the LS1 in my SS & I cant afford to fix it for a few years why should I buy new plates for it? If I choose not to renew my plates/registration its my car/personal property. If I get pulled over for driving with expired plates then I get a ticket. If its in my garage & I am not driving it, I am doing nothing wrong. Should a guy that has a very large car collection, lets say 30 cars. Should he have to buy plates for every one of them cars every year even though he will only drive 2 of them? If he doesnt should he have to pay for the years he didnt put them on the road? I wouldnt think so.
U do pay taxes on ur car every year its called ad valorum. In GA it don't matter what happened to it. If u r the owner for three years and it sits for three years without being registered u have to pay three years registration. If u live in a city limit in GA it has to be registered or the state will tow it off until u pay the fees. I wrecked a motorcycle and didn't register for four years and I had to pay for three years back. With saying that the OP should not be responsible for the debt. That's just like saying if I buy a house that the original owner owed back taxes and I bought the house I will not have to pay the back taxes the original owner should still have to pay for it.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand this back tax thing either. I really feel this is another government shaft you guys are taking up the chute. Here is my thing... Taxes pay the government basically for something we use. (ie. property tax-pays for school districts and trustees and libraries and parks anything public that you can use.) So the taxes on a car registration and drivers license fees go for roads, and bridges, and snow removal, etc etc... No if I don't drive the car on roads why should I pay to use them? Its like paying the electric for the people who rent the apartment after you. You just don't do that... IDK that's my two Lincolns
Old 10-03-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

[QUOTE=antsls1;13943904]

U do pay taxes on ur car every year its called ad valorum.
No we dont pay that, only when you buy the car here in Michigan do you pay sales tax on it.
Now the registration fees are based on the cars value, if thats what youre talking about maybe but its not a ridiculous amount. Its never been over $100 for anything I got plates for. When I lived in Indiana a long time ago they based it off the value & plates were 3 times what I pay now, unless you owned a clunker.
In GA it don't matter what happened to it. If u r the owner for three years and it sits for three years without being registered u have to pay three years registration.
Thats BS IMO. They do not do that here(yet)

If u live in a city limit in GA it has to be registered or the state will tow it off until u pay the fees. I wrecked a motorcycle and didn't register for four years and I had to pay for three years back. With saying that the OP should not be responsible for the debt. That's just like saying if I buy a house that the original owner owed back taxes and I bought the house I will not have to pay the back taxes the original owner should still have to pay for it.
I already established that real estate is waaay different in that property taxes & back taxes must be paid, whether its the buyer or seller. Were talking about cars, not real estate so NOT at all the same.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:55 AM
Launching!

[QUOTE=flintwrench69;13944860]
No we dont pay that, only when you buy the car here in Michigan do you pay sales tax on it.
Now the registration fees are based on the cars value, if thats what youre talking about maybe but its not a ridiculous amount. Its never been over $100 for anything I got plates for. When I lived in Indiana a long time ago they based it off the value & plates were 3 times what I pay now, unless you owned a clunker.

Thats BS IMO. They do not do that here(yet)

I already established that real estate is waaay different in that property taxes & back taxes must be paid, whether its the buyer or seller. Were talking about cars, not real estate so NOT at all the same.
Yes not the same but a similar metaphor. We pay taxes every year and its also based on the value of the car every year. My tag is over 100 but my dads 97 silverado is close to 300 every year. Yeah I know GA sucks they get us every way they can. I hope the OP just calls the DMV or tax commissioner and get this handled. I hope we get updates. OP any updates yet?

Quick Reply: Registered as "Unrepairable" What to do?