General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Keep or sell Bonneville for LS1 Trans am?
Keep the Bonneville, save up and worry about an LS1 later
56.25%
Sell the Bonneville, get an LS1 Trans am!
43.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Have a '66 Pontiac, want LS1 but can't afford both

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have a '66 Pontiac, want LS1 but can't afford both

Bear with me on this, it's gonna be a read. As the title says, I've got a 1966 Pontiac Bonneville (Bonnie) that I bought halfway through senior year of highschool when I was 18 (20 now, sophomore in college) that I've been restoring and FINALLY got a paint job in August.

She's got a bone stock 389 4 barrel with a TH400 that runs great, never had ANY issues with the engine/tranny, only little mechanical/electrical old car problems. The car has 228k miles (bought with 226k) on the original engine (most likely never or not recently rebuilt, you can tell it's lost power) and after a bit of driving the transmission slips just a bit going from 1st-2nd when you give it throttle.

The car is my baby. I literally accelerate almost as slowly as possible to prolong the life of the engine/transmission given the mileage and a major drivetrain repair bill could wipe out my oh so rich college kid bank account.

Now that the car is finally painted, although a cheap 10 footer Maaco job, she's probably in the most desirable stage of the restoration I guess you could say. I told myself that I would keep this car until I was old and pass her down to my kids one day and not be like everyone else and sell "that car they shouldn't have years ago", but storage alone once I get my own apartment in a few years is making me rethink it (I refuse to park outside under the sunlight, tried a car cover and it made the paint worse). The car WON'T be my daily driver once I need to actually drive places/work, so I would need another car for that.

My issue is, I REALLY have been lusting for a 6 speed LS1 Trans Am, (never had a manual) and the ability to actually drive the car and not kill me on gas (13 mpg in the Bonneville) and a genuinely FAST car. I only have like $1500 right now to my name, and I don't work during the school year because I can't balance grades and a job. Probably won't work much this summer because I'm trying to get an internship, which means little $$

The idea of selling my baby Bonnie has crossed my mind recently, because the car is running perfect right now and has a new paintjob it would be worth more now as opposed to 5 years down the road, and possibly major bucks for repairs/restoration along the way on my college budget.

Unless god smites me dead, I will have an LS or LT Trans am as my next car/daily driver.

Knowing all this, do you think I should wait a few years until I "need" a DD and keep Bonnie because it would be so hard to part with and just save up for that Trans am? Sell now before any major problems come up and buy an LS1? I could probably get $3000-5500 for my Bonneville as of right now.

I feel like Eve after taking a bite of the forbidden fruit for even having thoughts of selling my Bonneville, anyone who owns/has owned a classic knows what I'm talking about.

I'd lose that instant connection with the older generation on the days of real cars and that community of classic car owners. I'm so torn.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

read up in the conversions/hybrids sections. theres a sticky at the top where a few people have done it for 1500. depends on how skilled you are.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Haha wrong thread bud
Old 10-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you already know the answer. You will be devastated if you lose the bonneville, so just keep it and stop stressing over a cheap Maaco paint job. You can "do it right" with high quality paint later.

Park the Bonneville and just get you a T/A brother
Old 10-22-2011, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

It sounds like you are pretty attached to the Bonneville. That said, I would pick up a cheap beater car as your daily driver, then drop an LS1 in the Bonneville after you graduate and have more funds to drop into it. That way you can have the best of both worlds as long as you can be patient.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by zracer323
It sounds like you are pretty attached to the Bonneville. That said, I would pick up a cheap beater car as your daily driver, then drop an LS1 in the Bonneville after you graduate and have more funds to drop into it. That way you can have the best of both worlds as long as you can be patient.
What he said! And, Roll Tide!
Old 10-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Launching!

I'm a purist, no way I'd put an LS1 in the Bonneville. I just wish I could be working so I could afford both, argh!

And about "doing it right" down the road, the actual maaco paint job itself isn't bad, it's just the body under that's really makes it a 10 footer. There is bondo everywhere underneath and I didn't have time to go down and remove all the crazing. It would require taking out all the old bondo (basically full restoration) to do it right.

Poll added. Thanks for the replies!
Old 10-22-2011, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KingJacobo
I'm a purist, no way I'd put an LS1 in the Bonneville. I just wish I could be working so I could afford both, argh!

And about "doing it right" down the road, the actual maaco paint job itself isn't bad, it's just the body under that's really makes it a 10 footer. There is bondo everywhere underneath and I didn't have time to go down and remove all the crazing. It would require taking out all the old bondo (basically full restoration) to do it right.

Poll added. Thanks for the replies!
There are high dollar full length car covers that wouldnt scratch it much if the cover wasnt removed very often. I'd check out some of the better cover manufactors like Coverking.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:38 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't part with the '66. Why? I put it to people like this: you can sell your 60's muscle car and do what you need to do with the money, but if you EVER want to get back into a classic muscle car again it's going to cost you about 2 or 3 times as much just to buy a car.

I'm in kind of the same boat as you. I love my 69 Charger that I've had since '94 but funds are slow coming in to get it where I want it. I also want to get my hands on an LS2 GTO so I've considered selling the Charger to get the GTO. BUT, not only would I probably have car payments again but I'd be heart broken over losing the Charger. Yes, I can't DD the Charger like I used to in College (fun f**king days man), but I know that to get back into the classic scene would be too expensive.

I think it's best to be patient and hold out. I hope you can find a cheap DD to help you out with the daily living. Good luck man...
Old 10-23-2011, 06:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

any pics of your car?
Old 10-23-2011, 06:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

keep the Bonneville or you'll hate yourself and wont likely ever be able to replace it. Also .
Old 10-23-2011, 01:52 PM
Launching!

Don't have many pics on my itouch but

Old 10-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Teching In

I vote to keep the '66. Very unique car, not to mention the sentimental value. I have my first car sitting in my driveway, and although right now it isn't in any kind of good shape, I wouldn't sell it. I've owned that car for over 15 years and I'm the only person I personally know who has their first car. I also just recently bought an ls1 6 speed that I have wanted since I got my first car. Lesson is, be patient and hold on to things that mean something to you.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You remind me of myself at your age actually. I got a 76 Firebird in high school and kept thinking about selling it for an LS1 Trans Am. I even did sell it, but the guy backed out at the last minute and I kept his deposit... I ended up parking the car until I was done College and getting by on a Cavalier.
Now I have the money / time to enjoy both my old school Pontiac and my LS1 TA.
Find a daily driver... and a place to park the classic until you're done school and have the cash to do it up.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Don't sell it.

You can always buy another one like it later....but it won't be that specific car.

There aren't many jobs out there at the moment man, best bet would be hold onto all the money you can until you lock in a job.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:32 AM
12 Second Club

Keep the car, save for the T/A. Finish college, get the degree and land the job that pays for the full restore of both cars.
The Bonny is pimp, keep it original and restore it till its ****. It will be a sled you will love for another 50 years if not more.
The T/A can be made into a screamin track car. When you pull the front wheels so hard it fips over backward you can find another one and fix it too!

Chad
Old 10-24-2011, 03:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

**** work! save up as much as you have to and get an engine of your choice in 5 years or so. So keep the bonneville, you already had it for 2 years... Just do heads, cam ls1 with a t56 swap!! All you need is patience,

so my vote is to keep the bonnie!!!
Old 10-24-2011, 03:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Haha wrong thread bud
haha, i dont think so BUD!!!! This reply itself made you look like a newb like you are... As long as the OP talks about ls1, let him/her express whatever he/she feels like...

mmmmkaaaayyyy???
Old 10-24-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well first off you say the engine runs but is worn, a TH400 is very cheap to rebuild stock. Jegs and Summit both have master rebuild kits for about $200. I'm sure there are quality mechanics out there that can do your rebuild fo a couple hundred in labor. I had a a trans chop rebuild my 700r4 for $500 including parts. I did the r&r myself. As for the engine just wait untill you need to rebuild and get a daily driver.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

Don't have many pics on my itouch but

if it was me id get an ls1 fbody but if you like it alot keep it.