General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

SSRA install and first impressions .. pics..

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default SSRA install and first impressions .. pics..

This is the A/C version, and as you can tell I had to remove the radiator shroud and that plastic deal that sits under it.

It slipped in without any problems from the top, so i settled it into place quite nice.

The top right, you can see where its a lil flimsy. I bought it used and it was cracked.. so the previous owner put jb weld, and it broke during shipping. It was just cracked, so what i did was wrap some zipties around it to hold it in place and keep its shape.

In order to slip on the bottom part, you have to remove some piece of plastic thats in that area in order for this piece to fit, I dont know the name of it. It requires 5 screws to be held into place ( not shown ) on the bumper. After I for it installed, I put the radiator shroud back on, and i put brand new weather stripping on it (where the tape is, around those areas)

You can't really tell, but behind it its not blocking the radiator and i have zero cooling issues. I have enough room to add a tranny cooler behind it

I don't have any track times, but i can tell u my top end was definitely improved. I been through two rain storms.. no hydrolock.. even trailed a semi with water spray from the tires.. (dense traffic..)

any questions feel free to ask

Last edited by LeanPocket; 12-13-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I don't see those things being a problem in the rain unless you were going WOT in it (which is dumb) and it'd have to be pulling a lot of air to pull rain vertical. I could see some mist happening, but a little mist even happens on stock intake.

You should clean out your radiator too
Old 12-13-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Yeah I don't see those things being a problem in the rain unless you were going WOT in it (which is dumb) and it'd have to be pulling a lot of air to pull rain vertical. I could see some mist happening, but a little mist even happens on stock intake.

You should clean out your radiator too
when i drove it, i was driving 75 on the highway with some tire spray from other cars. No problems.. i had a few spalshes by accident, but since its away from the tires it diddnt shoot up into the filter like a slp cai

yeah its clean now btw
Old 12-13-2011, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

It's so funny how every time I am looking at a new mod someone posts about it. There is one on cl that I am thinking about picking up so I can do that and p/p my tb over Christmas. Have you experienced any fuel mileage increases?
Old 12-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
You can't really tell, but behind it its not blocking the radiator and i have zero cooling issues. I have enough room to add a tranny cooler behind it

I don't have any track times, but i can tell u my top end was definitely improved. I been through two rain storms.. no hydrolock.. even trailed a semi with water spray from the tires.. (dense traffic..)

any questions feel free to ask
No cooling issues here with my FTRA, but that's going by the stock gauge. I don't know how accurate that is.

I didn't notice any low end gains, and I can't speak for top end as I don't have track times, trap speeds, or another vehicle to baseline against.

Zero problems in rain. I DD my car so I've been through some heavy downpours. Just take it easy through puddles that look like they could be deep.

I didn't notice any increase in mpg. 27mpg avg. before and 27mpg average after. M6 with 3.42 gears.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I got caught driving home from the track 150miles in the crasiest downpour iv even driven in. Never had a problem but I wouldnt wanna drive it in rain if didnt have to. Drove my old 98z in the rain a couple times with ssra and never a problem. Still wouldnt recomend it though.

As for temp increase...if you dont see a temp increase its probably because your not monitoring temps from the pcm. Iv had 3 ls1 cars with a ssra and coolant temps do rise but not out of control. But the fact is your radiator will not be as efficient and it will get hotter especially with the ac on.

As far as track times the ssra is well worth it to me. https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...oof-works.html
Old 12-13-2011, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll get back to u on the mpg increase, my assumption is maybe in hwy.. but as far as i can tell i havent noticed a difference. But i got my SSRA cuz of this guy right hur senicalj4579. 2 mph and a tenth or 2 off my 1/4, sold!

I'm going this weekend to see what my temps are gonna be like on the HP tuners.. as far as i can tell I have zero temp problems.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:56 PM
10 Second Club

I'll get back to u on the mpg increase, my assumption is maybe in hwy.. but as far as i can tell i havent noticed a difference. But i got my SSRA cuz of this guy right hur senicalj4579. 2 mph and a tenth or 2 off my 1/4, sold!

I'm going this weekend to see what my temps are gonna be like on the HP tuners.. as far as i can tell I have zero temp problems.
Ill just add my .02 on the mgp lol I didnt ever notice any. It could of made mpg worse as far as I know. Either way there wasnt any proof of anything.

Yes I was surprised how much a difference it really made on my car. I think a cai kit is one of the most under rated mods. Without one your car needs to get up to speed for a while for your iat to get to or around what the outside air temp is. But with a cai kit the coldest air posible is already available through the duct. Heat soak was much more of an issue without cai. I can remember on the hottest days on startup iat were around 130f and wouldnt cool down much until the car was moving at a good clip down the highway. On the same type of day with cai after heat soak iat could be about 100f but start to cool down as soon as the car gets some throttle.

For anyone thats curious I dont run a/c in my car anymore. I run the same ssra meant to use with a/c. I like it this way because the condensor isnt in the way which gives plenty of room for my radiator to operate efficiently and so I can mount my trans cooler on the radiator. Last summer I proved this is the perfect street setup for me. With the condensor, trans cooler, and ssra all right in the way my fans ran to much for my taste.

I also tried the non ssra a/c. Its a great kit but didnt like how my high speed fans were running all the time so I went back to the ac version. Iv tried so many setups it would make your head spin lol
Old 12-13-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

LeanPocket, I'm glad you like it. It looks like your missing some of the weatherstripping on the top. You can get some more from Ace hardware.

A new scoop design is coming out for the AC version SSRA. I tested this prototype all summer long with no problems. I'm not sure if this will just be the new scoop sold with the SSRA or an option. This does cost more to make.

Here's a youtube video of it from last Febuary. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnJbD0KBJsM

Each honk represents 10 mph.

BTW, it will come in black, and there won't be those holes.

Last edited by ss1le02; 12-13-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss1le02
LeanPocket, I'm glad you like it. It looks like your missing some of the weatherstripping on the top. You can get some more from Ace hardware.

A new scoop design is coming out for the AC version SSRA. I tested this prototype all summer long with no problems. I'm not sure if this will just be the new scoop sold with the SSRA or an option. This does cost more to make.

Here's a youtube video of it from last Febuary. http www youtube com watch?v=XnJbD0KBJsM

Each honk represents 10 mph.

BTW, it will come in black, and there won't be those holes.
yeah before i reinstalled my radiator shroud i put on some new weather stripping from ace hehe

btw i would want something like that,
I would like to know what the 1/4 time differential would be like

great concept btw
Old 12-14-2011, 08:28 AM
11 Second Club

Did you seal off your the bottom front opening of your lid as well with weather stripping?
Old 12-14-2011, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by green28
Did you seal off your the bottom front opening of your lid as well with weather stripping?
you mean where my lid normally sucks in air? no

I got weather stripping around the the rear 2 corners and across the middle.. kinda like a mini rectangle. I can take more pics if need be to explain lol.

Why would I need to block it off?
Old 12-14-2011, 11:59 AM
11 Second Club

you mean where my lid normally sucks in air? no

I got weather stripping around the the rear 2 corners and across the middle.. kinda like a mini rectangle. I can take more pics if need be to explain lol.

Why would I need to block it off?
Yes, I blocked off the small stock opening so the only place I am getting air from is the chrs1313 ram air. Leaving it open will allow the air you are "ramming" into the lid to escape back out the stock opening. Although there have been plenty of threads arguing if it actually helps or not.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by green28
Yes, I blocked off the small stock opening so the only place I am getting air from is the chrs1313 ram air. Leaving it open will allow the air you are "ramming" into the lid to escape back out the stock opening. Although there have been plenty of threads arguing if it actually helps or not.
ok well its technically blocked off, i have a rectangular weather stripping around the ssra opening under the filter. I'll snap pics when i get home.. if it aint worth a flip then ill get that lil rubber seal ur talking about
Old 12-14-2011, 06:24 PM
12 Second Club

Definitely a worth-while mod. I saw a 3 mph gain at the track with a completly sealed airbox. I didn't see any change in mpg. Definitely seal off the airbox to see all the gains from the ram air.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

what do u all use to seal off the box? jbweld?
Old 12-15-2011, 07:45 PM
10 Second Club

Not sealing the airbox stock opening will make you suck air mostly from there instead of through the duct. You need to seal the stock opening so you know the air you get is the coolest posible from under the car.
I used permatex to seal mine.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Not sealing the airbox stock opening will make you suck air mostly from there instead of through the duct. You need to seal the stock opening so you know the air you get is the coolest posible from under the car.
I used permatex to seal mine.
http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/r...0728-00729.jpg
thx

Would any gains be shown on a dyno?
Old 12-16-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

No its hard to show gains on a dyno because your wheels are moving...not the car, so you aren't taking in that air you normally would if you were going 60+
Old 12-16-2011, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

I used to use a rubber seal to block mine off, until I saw a car that sucked up water through one and hyrdo locked the engine. granted that was during a huge flood, but since my car is a daily driver I don't keep it sealed any more.

Quick Reply: SSRA install and first impressions .. pics..