General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Which way should I go for now?
Mild cam, Patriot valve springs, Bilstein SLP shocks
31.58%
Koni 4/4 and strano sprints
57.89%
Suggestions?? Detail below.
10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Mod time...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mod time...

For the first time in a LONG time (3+yrs) I've got the extra to do some much needed updating on my formula. Going to do some maintenance items and upgrade... ~1200 budget. I've got 2 ideas in mind but trying to decide is killing me... seeing as I've currently got drag radials on the car I'm leaning towards one vs the other, but want some more opinions and my wife is staying out of it (for once, I got a green light for anything I want within the above limit!) LOL.

Option 1: Mild cam, Patriot springs, Bilstein SLP shocks all around.

Option 2: Koni 4/4 and Strano springs.

Option 3: ????

Also, I think it's worth mentioning, at this time I'm not interested in doing headers or nitrous. Planning a 427 NA further down the road (MUCH further) This is probably gonna be my last mod again for a few years.

Thirdly.. any option 3 must include a shock option.. 106K on the stock DeCarbons.. EEK!

Last edited by RacingTiger03; 01-29-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say new shocks and rear control arms plus a panhard bar. Nothing too expensive but really beneficial.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:20 AM
Launching!

Most people will do mods in this order:

Lid
TB
Headers/Exhaust.

Your car has 106k on it and im assuming it has factory suspension. That's probably worn out. My car has 53k miles on it and im already considering a suspension build for it first before I take out the motor to do H/C/I/E.

I don't know what exactly would be a good combination but ever since I seen the video on youtube of the guy racing through a canyon for 10 minutes straight in a m6 SS. I can't wait to do my mods.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

I would say buy some kooks or a good header. Cuz ur goin to be able to use it on ur new motor down the road.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wav3form
I say new shocks and rear control arms plus a panhard bar. Nothing too expensive but really beneficial.
control arms.. maybe. Panhard... probably not, after the 427 watts link and 12 bolt will be the next big mod lol. (dreaming here no doubt.. but that's the long term plan for this car )

versz, you're correct 100% stock suspension, a new bushing kit for all suspension components is part of that general maintenance I mentioned
I'm leaning towards the first option honestly. I would LOVE to get the car on koni's so I can set it up separately for track days and the street, but I also want a touch more power out of the car and of course the sound of the cam... since the valve springs need to be replaced that's another reason I'm feeling a cam.. otherwise it will be stock valve springs and another item ticked under general maintenance lol.

Originally Posted by RacerXLs1
I would say buy some kooks or a good header. Cuz ur goin to be able to use it on ur new motor down the road.
Good intentions here I know.. but a good header takes up the entire 1200 budget (kooks SS 1 7/8). Shocks are absolutely a must in the equation =/

edit: they aren't as expensive as I remembered ~ 900 now, still doesn't leave room for even the bilsteins.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:35 PM
12 Second Club

The TSP 1-7/8 header might be a good option. Those with a y-pipe should leave you enough budget left to do the bilsteins. If you decide to do a cam with headers, I would recommend getting a custom one designed to work with stock manifolds.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:58 PM
12 Second Club

Yea go with the Texas speed headers and you,should still have enough cash to get your other stuff shocks etc....
Old 01-29-2012, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Option one w/ some springs if you can swing it.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

youre going to need money for tuning and imo its not worth going with a mild cam.

konis are very nice. id look into getting some.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:21 PM
TECH Regular

Forgot about tuning... Good call. A mail order tune will get it pretty good but won't max out the. Am. Of course neither will stock manifolds. Are the tsps stainless? Not waiting money on a coated header. What I consider a mild cam others may not lol looking at something 224 112lsa and about 600 lift. Or so. Something that if plans change and it gets another set of heads will work well. As it stands you all have brought some good points that have me leaning towards the shocks.

As for springs... The ones with the konis won't even be going on just yet. Hose mod in rear lower perch stock springs up front. Until I change my exhaust that's all I can do. For the money its worth ordering all at once from Sam .

I was leaning towards the cam. You all have almost talked me out of it haha. The car already has td exhaust. I don't like dealing with bolts always coming loose and blowing gaskets either.... Been there done that with my 94.... Even with arps...
Old 01-31-2012, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would recommend suspension build first
Old 01-31-2012, 10:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RacingTiger03
Are the tsps stainless? Not waiting money on a coated header. What I consider a mild cam others may not lol looking at something 224 112lsa and about 600 lift.

I was leaning towards the cam. You all have almost talked me out of it haha. The car already has td exhaust. I don't like dealing with bolts always coming loose and blowing gaskets either.... Been there done that with my 94.... Even with arps...
Tsp 1 7/8 are stainless and very nice.

I have never had an exhaust leak or loose header bolt even using stock mls gaskets and stock manifold bolts.

A cam without the headers is almost a waste of money IMO. And don't forget the gaskets, fluids, and other stuff that goes with a cam swap or it will nickel and dime you to death.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

i vote konis. they rock
Old 02-01-2012, 10:25 AM
TECH Regular

Alright everyone... Looks like for now, and my current direction with the car (thanks to some much needed re-assurement about not having to worry about header gaskets from a few different people across the board) I'm going with bilsteins and TSP headers. Things that will support my build later.

2 reasons I decided against koni's.. 1 I keep reading harsh ride from several. I know it can be setup to be FIRM and not HARSH. Firm is how I would describe my stock CX7 and I LOVE the feel of it. but right now the car alternates between DD princess and garage queen, VERY rarely do I go to the drag strip, and never have I made it out to an auto-x. For my budget/needs I think the koni's are a bit much, and this way I can get a touch more power also.. which c'mon.. we all like right? LOL
Old 02-01-2012, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RacingTiger03
Alright everyone... Looks like for now, and my current direction with the car (thanks to some much needed re-assurement about not having to worry about header gaskets from a few different people across the board) I'm going with bilsteins and TSP headers. Things that will support my build later.

2 reasons I decided against koni's.. 1 I keep reading harsh ride from several. I know it can be setup to be FIRM and not HARSH. Firm is how I would describe my stock CX7 and I LOVE the feel of it. but right now the car alternates between DD princess and garage queen, VERY rarely do I go to the drag strip, and never have I made it out to an auto-x. For my budget/needs I think the koni's are a bit much, and this way I can get a touch more power also.. which c'mon.. we all like right? LOL
No a bad choice either way, but I would never call konis harsh on stock springs, they are anything but. The ride is firm and taut, but very smooth and BMW-like. On lowering springs on the absolute worst of roads it can be a little harsh, this is worst case scenario though, and with lowering springs which will naturally ride more harsh than stock springs. Everywhere else is the ride is great, very firm, glued to the road, and very DD-able.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have Koni 4/4 with Strano springs & bars with panhard and I love it.. BUT..it is not for everybody...Handles like a go-kart but tall speedbumps/steep driveways can be an issue and yes the ride is stiffer. I have learned to negate/deal with negatives buy changing driving style to make the upside worthwhile but it is not for everyone so know the pros/cons before you make the decision and hopefully drive one in all conditions first...
Old 02-02-2012, 08:32 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks guys, glad to see some people out there get the koni's aren't for everyone. There are some pretty heavy bumps on my route to work, my car rubs there a little at stock height, I can get around but it adds 10 minute to the route that's already over an hour . I was NOT looking forward to that. Ordered my bilsteins yesterday (which was my oringinal intention anyways) and am waiting on a call from TSP saying their headers are in stock, last I heard that should be friday or next week. Been a long time since I heard open headers.. kinda looking forward to it LOL.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:35 AM
TECH Regular

first drive with the bilsteins on yesterday. Unless I was dead set on lowering or needed adjustability I don't know that I would spend the extra for koni shocks. There is no way that can ride THAT much better than the bilstein. Maybe they handle better, possibly launch better... but the bilstein was a very nice all-arounder for me, and now my car rides better and HANDLES better than my wife's 09 CX7 *shrug*. No more wheel hop at a 2500RPM launch either.. and my rear end survived it LOL. Just waiting on a call from TSP to get my headers on the way ... and so far the budget is looking like I might be able to get that cam also! We'll see about that after my wife goes back to work after our daughter is born next month though

I have to say new shocks were by far the best mod I've ever done to a car though! From now on it will be my first replacement for any used car I get with any kind of mileage on it.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

Good work man,

glad you chose suspension mods. It will really become a whole new car and you will enjoy driving it so much more.