General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Rustproofing - Let's discuss..

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rustproofing - Let's discuss..

Just wanted to see how many fellow fbody owners have taken the plunge and rust proofed the undercarriage of their vehicles. I've finally had the oppotunity to check out the undercarriage of mine, and it's a mess to say the least. I have brake lines, springs, frame rail, and gas tank surface rust already well on it's way. Honestly, the undercarriage of my car suggests the car is twice as old as it actually is - which was tough to swallow after finally seeing it. Like many fbody owners here, I take great pride in the overall condition of my vehicle. I truly plan on it being my "forever" summer car. I've been looking into possible rustproofing remedies but I'm simply not sure which one to do. I've debated bringing it to a body shop to see if I could have the surface rust sanded down then protected with some type of undercoating. Has anyone here done this sort of work or paid to have this type of work completed? I found a local place that does rustproofing undercoating for $200 + $40 respray suggested once a year thereafter. Any suggestions/ideas?

Any chance anyone had this type of work done and has before/after pictures?

D&M Corvette also supposedly offers some "restoration" type service that addresses rust issues.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

The problem with rustproofing an already older rusty car is that it really doesn't accomplish anything. The rust will still be underneath unless you are talking about totally removing the old rust first. A full restoration?? Not likely. Save your $$ and just keep the undercarriage as clean as possible. That $200 quote will be nothing. $2,000 would be more like it for a proper job.

**Just a side note. My T/A is a one owner (me) and it is garage kept and has only 29,000 miles. Despite always keeping it clean underneath, there are still issues. Not serious at all but just normal aging and use. Last year I picked up my '07 Mustang with just 3,000 miles on it. Garage kept by a collector who had 12 cars. There is surface rust in many areas underneath. Sometimes it just can't be avoided. All I'm doing is keeping it clean and free from future dirt accumulation, etc.. but not spending any $$ on rustproofing.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know there are some products by POR15 and Rustoleum that are advertised to do a variety of things, depending on the product in question, ranging from painting directly over existing rust to stop it from expanding, turning already existing areas black, and rubber undercoatings?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NC01TA
The problem with rustproofing an already older rusty car is that it really doesn't accomplish anything. The rust will still be underneath unless you are talking about totally removing the old rust first. A full restoration?? Not likely. Save your $$ and just keep the undercarriage as clean as possible. That $200 quote will be nothing. $2,000 would be more like it for a proper job.

**Just a side note. My T/A is a one owner (me) and it is garage kept and has only 29,000 miles. Despite always keeping it clean underneath, there are still issues. Not serious at all but just normal aging and use. Last year I picked up my '07 Mustang with just 3,000 miles on it. Garage kept by a collector who had 12 cars. There is surface rust in many areas underneath. Sometimes it just can't be avoided. All I'm doing is keeping it clean and free from future dirt accumulation, etc.. but not spending any $$ on rustproofing.
I hear where you're coming from. I know the $200 rustproofing option probably isn't going to meet my standards for my car. That was one of the reasons I mentioned D&M Corvette in Downers Grove, IL. They do all out restorations and are supposedly some of the best in the business at it. I'm going to try and make an appointment with them to see what can be done to the undercarriage. Money and budget is important but at this point, I'll pay if the quality of work meets or exceeds my expectations. I'm just wanting a CLEAN fbody and I'd rather pay the money to clean mine up then to go on a massive search looking for the cleanest LS1/M6/Ttop fbody I can find.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jersey Mike
I know there are some products by POR15 and Rustoleum that are advertised to do a variety of things, depending on the product in question, ranging from painting directly over existing rust to stop it from expanding, turning already existing areas black, and rubber undercoatings?
The POR15 kit is interesting. I know it stands for "paint on rust" but the idea of doing that doesn't exactly eliminate my undercarriage concerns. Has anyone here used the POR15 kit? Any before/after pictures? I'm really just not sure what I'm going to do here.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
The POR15 kit is interesting. I know it stands for "paint on rust" but the idea of doing that doesn't exactly eliminate my undercarriage concerns. Has anyone here used the POR15 kit? Any before/after pictures? I'm really just not sure what I'm going to do here.
Do a search for POR15, and you'll likely find many people that have used it with great success. The most common application is probably on the rear end, which always turn to rust. It's very good stuff, and is supposed to mechanically (not chemically) keep the rust from spreading or coming back. Like anything else involving paint, prep work is the key.

I'd be much more inclined to do this project myself than have some company spray whatever they are trying to pass off as rust proofing...having to respray once a year should tell you a little bit about the durability of what they're trying to push. POR-15 lasts a long, LONG time.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a can sitting on my shelf that has the slogan, "We know what PERMANENT means!" Kudos, Marketing team. Kudos.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Do a search for POR15, and you'll likely find many people that have used it with great success. The most common application is probably on the rear end, which always turn to rust. It's very good stuff, and is supposed to mechanically (not chemically) keep the rust from spreading or coming back. Like anything else involving paint, prep work is the key.

I'd be much more inclined to do this project myself than have some company spray whatever they are trying to pass off as rust proofing...having to respray once a year should tell you a little bit about the durability of what they're trying to push. POR-15 lasts a long, LONG time.
I suppose I'm going to have to look into POR15. You definitely present some valid points.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

www.eastwood .com
Old 05-08-2012, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NC98Z
Yes, I've seen the eastwood products. Problem is, I have no idea what I'd need!
Old 05-08-2012, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

There's a few other out there beside POR15, somethat require less prep. I did some research last year, and the one that I liked was called "Rust Bullet". There's another one out there, that's similar, I forget the name.

I really need to pickup some of this and do my car too, I was just underneath there yesterday installing a catback, and it's looking bad, and is starting to progress beyond merely just surface rust.

edit: here's a little article on Rust Bullet that I had in my favorites. What I like about it is the lack of necessary prep. Basically just wire brush or wheel the loose stuff off. http://www.customrodder.com/tech/030...tor/index.html
Old 05-08-2012, 11:25 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
I'm just wanting a CLEAN fbody and I'd rather pay the money to clean mine up then to go on a massive search looking for the cleanest LS1/M6/Ttop fbody I can find.
Cars like this are hard to find around Chicago at this point. Only super low mileage garage queens will be this clean, as any exposure to regular weather conditions around here will age the undercarrige very quickly. The other option would be to import a car from the south/southwest. Having said that, you'll probably still spend less making the trade to a rust free one rather than spending the money to actually restore the entire undercarrige of your current car. The price of a restoration (especially if you're not doing the work yourself) gets out of hand very quickly. If simply covering it with POR15 is acceptable to you though, then this will be the most affordable option.

My solution to this was to buy a second F-body for more regular use. The nice one just stays in the garage now, only coming out for the occasional show or perfect weather drive. Even on my garage queen, which has never been driven in rain, the bare metal areas still develop some minor surface rust (axle, uncoated bolts, etc.).....nothing of concern though.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no rust to worry about on my car.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:23 AM
TECH Regular

i used an eastwood product that has an 18 inch spray nozzle on it that fits into frame rails etc. the stuff has a self etching agent in it and worked good inside the frame horns its o.d. green when dry. i use an old restorer trick when my car is parked for a long time in the garage, i.e. winter storage i lay painters plastic down on the floor as a vapor barrier because here in the mid west the concrete floors weep humidity and cause condensation. lowes and home depo have it cheap, but it needs to be a little thicker
Old 05-09-2012, 09:55 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmano2z
i use an old restorer trick when my car is parked for a long time in the garage, i.e. winter storage i lay painters plastic down on the floor as a vapor barrier because here in the mid west the concrete floors weep humidity and cause condensation.
I use rubber lined carpet for this same reason. It's a bit easier to deal with than plastic sheeting.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My T/A has some of your typical surface rust on its underside. I plan to attack it with a wire wheel and some POR15, or one of the products similar to it. I haven't done much research one which one would work best for this application.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine doesnt have any rustproofing, thank god it doesnt & really very little rust anywhere. I found a few small spots on the body & very slight surface rust on a few of the fuel line fittings. Brake & fuel lines are rust free. My front lower control arms have surface rust. My car has never seen a winter & its stored inside but no plastic underneath. If your car has bad undercarriage rust it obviously has been driven through snow, salt & slush to look like that.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The eastwood products are great. They have a few options for rust. I would definitely give them a call. It sucks you have to deal with this.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Amsoil has a good undercoating spray. I used it on my daily driver which I do drive during winter months and actually it has done a pretty good job so far. It's relatively cheap at $8 a can, and you will probably use ABOUT 2 cans for the whole underside of the car. Respray once a year if driven in winter, otherwise I would respray once every two years.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/amh.aspx Read up on this, works well for my DD which I drive during winter months in PA.

Quick Reply: Rustproofing - Let's discuss..