General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What to blow money on??? This or that

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 04:21 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default What to blow money on??? This or that

Got my tax return... looking to blow it all on my 98 WS6 m6... I have ideas on what i want but i would like opinions and why....

Exhaust:
SLP LM1 or TSP Rumbler?

Shocks/Struts:
SLP Spec Bilstien or Tokico Blues

Boxed or Tubular SFC's??

What sprark plugs??

3.73 or 4.10 gears?? (road race/ AutoX)
Old 04-14-2013, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SLP loudmouth is obnoxious so I'd go with TSP. Cheaper too, and same setup. LS6 intake, frost tune, headers and exhaust is what I'd blow my tax return on. Gears end up being too expensive unless you can install them yourself. Gears I'd go 3.73's. First gear become pointless with 4.10's.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to auto cross, suspension is the first thing you should take care of.
I can not tell you how much of a difference swapping sway bars made on my car.
I am still waiting to install the Koni's and springs after 12 years on stock decarbons!

Plugs: TR55's
SFC's: Check classifieds I picked up bolt on SLP's for $75
Exhaust: I prefer a traditional muffler and cutout. Both of those are way to raspy.
Suspension: http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...&productid=823
Old 04-14-2013, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go with TSP on the exhaust. If want to autocross then I could say some BMR springs with Bilstien's shocks or Konis. Tubular SFCs will help but boxed will be more than enough for you. How much HP are you pushing or plan on pushing?
Old 04-14-2013, 12:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyBirdMKE
Got my tax return... looking to blow it all on my 98 WS6 m6... I have ideas on what i want but i would like opinions and why....

Exhaust:
SLP LM1 or TSP Rumbler?

Shocks/Struts:
SLP Spec Bilstien or Tokico Blues

Boxed or Tubular SFC's??

What sprark plugs??

3.73 or 4.10 gears?? (road race/ AutoX)
search.
Skip gears (not needed) skip SFCs (not needed), do your plugs (TR55), exhaust of your choice, and try and get some koni shocks if you want to auto-x.
The only vendor that actually competes in auto-x (and has national champion titles in his camaro to boot): stranoparts.com
Old 04-14-2013, 03:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with everyone else skip the sfc's and get some good shocks, konis if you have the money. Except I wouldnt skip gears in an m6 gears make a much bigger difference than in an auto. I'd do some 3.90s they wont feel stupid short like 4.10s but will be nicer jump than 3.73's. Sway bars and a good set of lca's and torque arm would finish off the suspension
Old 04-14-2013, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

IMO, You can get the LM2 for the same price as the LM1, and it has a better tone. SFC aren't needed, but I still think there worth it just for added convenience of having more jack points and chassis rigidity. I'd get a set of 2point weld-in SFCs, no possible exhaust clearance issues or ground clearance loss with tubular. For shocks get a set of Koni SA's, even it means buying the exhaust later. I'd also get a set of strano sway-bars before getting gears. Get ngk tr55 plugs.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd also focus on suspension. All these cars are 10+ years old so most of the rubber parts are getting tired. Even with springs, sway bars, and shocks my car handles unbelievably better than stock. I'm eventually going through all the suspension, but springs/sway bars are a great place to start. for the other stuff like lca's and panhard bar give founders performance a look, i've heard good things and there's not much room for differences between manufacturers there like with springs.

I don't think there is a "need" for SFC's, but that's up to you. They won't hurt anything.

I had the TSP rumbler on my 94 and loved it. I'd go with that over the SLP because of the price. Same basic exhaust as the SLP LM2

Our cars have plenty of power for most auto cross courses i've seen, they just need some suspension help to begin with.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i shoulda added more to this but it was early in the morning when i posted..

Yeah i know Konis are the way to go, but i dont have the money for them right now.

I know stranoparts is the way to go with alot of suspension

and i have to change gears... the guy i bought it from blew up his stock 3.42s and stuck in 3.23s he had from his pervious v6 he had laying around since he had no money....
Old 04-15-2013, 12:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

def get 3.90s then no question i think they will be great for road racing as opposed to shroter 4.10's. if you cant afford konis then either save up or get a set of bilsteins. fwiw right now bmr has a helluva deal. you get 4 konis on car adjustables in the rear and off car in the front with bmr lowering springs for 750 cant beat it

Quick Reply: What to blow money on??? This or that