General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What to look out for in an LS1 4th Gen Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look out for in an LS1 4th Gen Camaro?

Hello,
I will be selling what I have now and want to get something I can have more fun with. I've narrowed it down to a 4th Generation F-body LS1 with the manual but I was wondering a few things:
-What kind of mileage can I typically see with regular driving?
-Anything to avoid other than the normal cancerous auto things?

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2013, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I get about 22-24mpg with regular driving in my 2000 LS1 T/A...
Old 10-08-2013, 08:00 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've pulled 28-30mpg on the highway. Now that I no longer use my car as a DD it sees probably closer to 10mpg on average

The only thing to be concerned with when buying these cars is having enough money for the next mod. That's my only problem, anyway.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by demonspeed
The only thing to be concerned with when buying these cars is having enough money for the next mod. That's my only problem, anyway.
Haha so true.

But yea, make sure the fluids are full and clean, check for rust and most importantly take it for a test drive. Don't be afraid to lay on it to make sure everything is working ok.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Wow! That's much better than I thought! Sure is an improvement over my current vehicle. I want something I can drag/autocross but drive every day. I didn't know if there were any problems that are wide-ranging with them. Thanks!
Old 10-09-2013, 03:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are common issues, window motors go out every few years, most have some paint issues, but overall very reliable and fast cars. i get average of 22 mpg mixed.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:27 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

That's what's so great about these cars -- they are quite reliable despite the bad rap they get for their outdated design and ergonomics. I'll try to be as serious as possible here with these "problems" that I've personally experienced over the years (I'm on my third LS1 Camaro since 2003).

Yes, window motors seem to be a common thing; however, they are very easy and inexpensive to replace ($15? for the motor).

If you pick up one that has the factory power steering cooler, you'll eventually run into the cooler leaking into the antifreeze as the cooler is actually part of the upper radiator hose. It's actually not a cooler at all; rather, it's a heat exchanger. It's another super easy and affordable fix (less than $20 for the hose) -- just replace the entire hose/cooler assembly with a hose from a non-cooler LS1 and flush both the coolant and power steering systems and be done!

Speaking of the power steering system, the pressure hose starts to leak after some time. This is going to happen on any vehicle, but just something to consider replacing at the same time you remove the factory power steering cooler (or vise-versa). Again, another easy and cheap fix ($20? for the hose)

The great thing is that anything you run into is something that others have had to deal with before as well. Just do a search on this site and you'll find an answer. Since the costs are nominal with these maintenance items, I don't even remember how much they truly cost me.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:04 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I agree with everything mentioned here so far. Only major issue that will affect most LS1 4th gens that you might consider is this:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...e-dummies.html

Unless you buy one built before 05/98, or a convertible, then it will eventually need the roof panel to be replaced if you want to get rid of the bubbles. Darker colors will have this problem more seriously (especially V8 Camaros because they all have black tops), and it will be worse in climates with more heat/UV exposure.

IMO, this is the biggest common hassle with an LS1 4th gen. Other common stuff is generally simple and cheap, such as the window motors and power steering "cooler" mentioned above. As they get older and gain more mileage, you can expect more items to wear out as with any car. My advice is to always buy the nicest condition, best maintained and lowest mileage example that you can afford and find - always better to start off with a good base IMO.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

My advice is to always buy the nicest condition, best maintained and lowest mileage example that you can afford and find - always better to start off with a good base IMO.
Oh man!! This is the best statement possible. The grief and aggravation of buying an abused or poorly maintained car would rank right up there with an IRS audit.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Oh man!! This is the best statement possible. The grief and aggravation of buying an abused or poorly maintained car would rank right up there with an IRS audit.
Yup yup yup. Buy one as clean and close to stock as possible. Then ruin it yourself!!!
Old 10-09-2013, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all of the information! Over my past two trucks, I have had to do everything short of rebuilding the engine. Right now I'm driving a 00 7.3 f250 that I needed for work but, since my dad got his, I no longer need a full size truck. (Not to mention my university makes all their spots for compact cars). I know the engines are some of the best for stock power and budgrt modding as I'd kike to do a bit of autocross and drag racing as well as DD. I'm curently getting 14 doing my driving as of now.
The problems seem to be merely an "inconvenience".
Ill have time over my summer bresk to sell my truck and take the time to find a grest deal.
Thanks for all of the help!
Old 10-24-2013, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

Alternators go out...
Old 10-24-2013, 09:13 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by BlackCowl
Alternators go out...
As they do in any vehicle.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd say the major things they are prone to is gear whine and lifter tick. These are not a deal breaker by any means but just so you are aware of it. I bought my car new and it did both off the dealer lot. The gears whined between 60-70mph and had lifter noise when cold. I personally think GM had 'loose' valve trains setup for these cars because when I did H/C it went away. Wrong size pushrods possibly?
Old 10-24-2013, 09:36 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BlackCowl
Alternators go out...
Truck alternator and be done with it. What they should have done in the first place, imo
Old 10-24-2013, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

rear end pinion seal leak, (very expensive if a shop does it), bird chirping sound is either the idler pulley or tensioner pulley (about every 2 yrs), almost everyone has piston slap, cant fix that, light knock sound at idle, goes away about 2k rpm. i have original slow moving power windows, hopefully my new alternator sitting in garage will fix that. my car takes a lickin & keeps on tickin! I LUV IT!
Old 10-24-2013, 05:06 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by DANOZ28
i have original slow moving power windows, hopefully my new alternator sitting in garage will fix that.
You'll need to replace the motors to fix that.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

First thing I look for is holes drilled in the spare tire well. That is where everyone mounts a nitrous bottle.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

a good set of tools and friends and on ls1tech and you will be fixing any issue a Camaro will ever have.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah...my pinion seal leaked too. And with only like 12k miles on it. The shop that tunes my car fixed it for $150.

Quick Reply: What to look out for in an LS1 4th Gen Camaro?