General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What should i do? Wait to buy a new Camaro or get a new engine for my 98 Z28?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What should i do? Wait to buy a new Camaro or get a new engine for my 98 Z28?

I am at a loss. A few people are putting the idea into my head about getting a new camaro. But i still have the aspiration of getting a new 402 LS2 forged engine and a fron mount turbo system to make my car a Quarter mile car. I can either spend the money on fixing my car up with suspension, rear end, brakes, engine and turbo and tranny, or i can save the money and buy a new V8 camaro and own both a 4th gen and 5th gen. Man this is tough. What do you guys think? I mean give me some good raesons to support your answers. Also, how much do they figure the new Camros will start out at?
Old 02-23-2007, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Also, if i went the route of getting a new f-body, i would probably still keep my 98 Z28 but dialy drive it and garage keep the new camaro (If i went that route). But man, i would still love to pour the money into my car and make it a high 9 sec car.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:40 PM
Teching In

I would base my decision on how fast you wanna go. If you want to whip everyone's *** on the road pour the money into your Z. If you want to get the chicks to look at you get the new 'camaro.

My guess is that the camaro price point will be on par with the new mustangs (meaning about 30k for a good one). Of course when they are first released they will have a premium - probably 5k or more extra padded on due to lack of availability.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mods in the sig are it for awhile. I was planning on being the 1st to get a new Camaro but i will wait for the 2nd year.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

I see what you guys mean. I myself wouldn't by the first model year camaros myself, especially because i am sure the hype and price gouging will last well into the first year its out. Hell, i may even wait around to by a used one that has really low mileage, if i did go that route. But my current Z is in such good condition and i get lots of compliments on it already, a lot of people who saw the new camaro told me to keep the one i got. Theyve even told me they like the look of mine better than the new camaros. And i have to agree with them. I think the new ones look cool, but i actually think the 98-02 4th gens still look better than the news ones.

The other thing that sways me is that i was planning on putting my LS1 engine into my daily driver Caprice/Impala (my grandfather's car, who passed away) since i planned on getting a new build LS2 engine for the camaro. I was planning on fixing the impala up with a new paint job and interior as well. I feel kind of hard to part with it cause i was really close with my pops and its a really nice car. I feel compelled to fix it up.

I guess the other fripe i have with the new camaros is that the 4th gens have smoother lines and looked nothing like that previos model stangs that were on the market. Not that the new camaros look like the new stangs, but the shapes of the new challenger, stangs, and camaros are kind of similar looking. I guess i feel that my camaro is unique looking enough to stand the test of time. It just kind of hurt when my father told me "don't put too much money into your car because its getting older and cars depreciate." My only respones back to him was that its not a honda or a Lincoln. Its a camaro and hpefully will regain some value decades later. Plus its a hobby. But it still hurt me when he said that.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would just throw the money into you currnet Z. But thats because i just dont think the new camaro is that cool. I like the 4th gen better.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do what you want. People are in for a big suprise on the "new" muscle car Camaro's price. While a V6 might be 32K+ the V8's will be around 42K.

This is a car people will not be lining up to buy. It is not a Chevy, it's a Cadilac that will be sold at Chevy dealerships!

It will be sold as a "we make a profit or we don't make it" by GM.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id go with the forged 402 personally
Old 02-24-2007, 03:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If the new Camaro is $30k+ for a base..then stealerships better make room for the Camaro next to the $33K GTO's they haven't sold yet.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:41 AM
On The Tree

Thanks a lot guys for the responses. They mean more than you may know. I had no idea that dealerships were going to sell them for that high. Are they marketing it like the SSR? Anyway, i talked it over, and my mom would be really happy if i fixed up my grandfather's car, as would i. I think i can take having a nice looking luxurious Caprice with a powerful LS1 in it and a suped up 98 Z28. Thats the way i'll play it. Some of you may think, why post this question now, cause i got time for the new camaro to come out. The thing is, i have the money now to either buy one or buy a new engine and turbo system RIGHT now. But thanks again for your insights.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

The new Camaro has one thing going for it. None of the parts are worn. Every big new engine you buy is going to need a clutch and rear-end to go with it.

I REALLY doubt the new one is going to be the $22.5k super bargin that the last one was.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:52 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, i thought about that with every part being new on the new camaro, but i've waited 4 years already saving up for the parts i need. I think i can stand to wait a little longer to finish the job. I also have this thought in the back of my mind, that this may possibly be the only time that i can achieve my goal of making a fast car go into the high 9's or low 10's in my life. I may never get another shot at it. I mean i do plan on being successful in life, but a plan isn't a guarantee and also, living expenses, wife, kids, gas prices going up. I figure i better strike while the iron hot.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redbanditz28
Yeah, i thought about that with every part being new on the new camaro, but i've waited 4 years already saving up for the parts i need. I think i can stand to wait a little longer to finish the job. I also have this thought in the back of my mind, that this may possibly be the only time that i can achieve my goal of making a fast car go into the high 9's or low 10's in my life. I may never get another shot at it. I mean i do plan on being successful in life, but a plan isn't a guarantee and also, living expenses, wife, kids, gas prices going up. I figure i better strike while the iron hot.

Yeah really, I used to be a Geophysicist working for AFTAC in the Air Force and I was already working on a transfer to MASINT for the CIA and then BAM!!!

100% disability and I have trouble seeing if I a am awake for more than 10 hours. Gained 50 pounds in 6 months and lost over 25 pounds of muscle due to glandular failure.

It's been 3 years now and I am STILL working on losing the damn weight.

Ended a lot of my car dreams!!!