General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Road trip advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 03:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road trip advice

Im going to be moving from alamogordo, nm to biloxi, ms at the end of the month. Its a 1250 mile distance that ill be making in my camaro. Im already going to be wraping the front end in painters tape just wondering if theres anything else i should be doing before taking it on that long of a trip?? ill be sure to post pics when i have the custom blue painters tape front end.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Check your fluids, tire pressure etc. Aside from making sure its in great mechanical condition, I don't think anything else is too important. I travel across Texas a lot in the Camaro, and I like to have a toolset in the back for peace of mind.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:42 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks, yea i had my coolant flushed, oil changed and fuel filter replaced... and im going to make sure i make the trip on clear weather days as my sumitomo tires dont do rain to well
Old 03-09-2008, 05:09 AM
TECH Addict

Don't forget to take tools
Old 03-10-2008, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

As long as your car has been maintained well you won't have any issues. When I bought my car I flew to Florida and picked it up and drove it back to NY without any trouble. The worst part was the damn swarms of bugs down in the south
Old 03-10-2008, 01:06 AM
TECH Regular

^^^ Ha ha thats why im taping the front end up!
Old 03-10-2008, 03:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

have basic tools, make sure you have towing coverage on your insurance just in case, I always have a package of JB weld in the tool box just incase something retarded happens so I can temporarily fix it. other than that dude if you dont have any problems from day to day driving you will be fine, also check your spare tire to make sure the air pressure is still there. I drive cross country often and thats what I have always had for safe measure. also some good music!!
Old 03-10-2008, 04:54 AM
TECH Addict

What are you moving for if you don't mind me asking?
Old 03-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

When I moved from Ridgecrest, CA (with a stop in St. louis) to Marietta, GA all I did was changed the oil, had the coolant flushed, and checked the air pressure in the tires (including the spare). As stated before if the car hasn't given you any problems during day to day driving, then you shouldn't have any problems at all during your trip.

Also checked/replaced all lights that were out. The less police attention the better. I think all I had was one fog light out.

I also carried some basic tools and tire slime as a precaution, but I didn't have any problems at all. Also got 29mpg in CA and Arizona, and 32mpg after we got out of New Mexico. (with an M6)
Old 03-10-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn I did Toronto to Cali (almost 4000miles) without even an oil change. Did the oil change when I got there. If you are on top of your maintenance each year, you will be fine.

Things to have in the car.

Air pump, quick tire repair kit and hand tools.

Detailing spray for the paint, painter's tape just really looks gawdy. Get a bra or something to make it look decent. clear bra if you have the coin.

Avoid tailgaiting any cars, they kick up the rocks/dirt that can damage your paint. Radar detector is a must unless you have the discipline to do the speed limit the whole way.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

take tools. if you have AAA that's great.

also.. you might plot your trip and google the closest dealer/NAPA etc. to your route... just in case.

i tend to err on the side of caution.

as most have said... do full fluid changes, and look the car over for any leaks/ weak hoses/belts
Old 03-10-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most definitely a good set of tunes! Overall, though just what the guys have been saying. If it drives fine everyday this should be not that much different.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:29 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for all the really good advice in this thread
Old 03-11-2008, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by araber89
Most definitely a good set of tunes! Overall, though just what the guys have been saying. If it drives fine everyday this should be not that much different.
If the car drives fine on a daily basis, a couple hours of <2000 RPM's shouldn't be a big deal. I would go around the speed limit to keep gas mileage at its best and engine work at its lowest. Who cares how the tape looks? As long as it keeps it covered/protected I would do it. I rather looks stupid while driving past people I'll never see again than have permanent bug/tar/rock chips on my front end.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

That's a nothing trip if your car is in decent shape. It must be or you wouldn't be worried about it. Just stay WAY back of the big rigs, and pass them quickly when you have to pass. Between flying rocks and tires that break apart, they are the #1 hazard. I had the unfortunate experience of having been next to a semi, on vacation near Phoenix, when a re-cap came apart on one of those. It totally tore up the side of the car I was driving but fortunately it was a rental car.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

you will be fine, also depeding on your miles and what hasnt been replaced think about the stupid **** that goes out anyway, starter, alternator, fuel pump. I wouldnt really worry about the last one in your case, but if those hadnt been replaced yet, Id buy an alternator and leave it in the back of the car just in case. and if you dont need it after all you can return it. FREE insurance!
Old 03-13-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Music for sanity, ipod (large gb size) + belkin kit = more than enough tunes to last you cross continent.

Definitely agree big rigs are the hazard. Out in NM and Arizona, seen big rigs pushing 100mph. WTF??? That's a scary site let alone FEEL as that thing causes a whirlwind as it passes you...

You can do 100+mph as well, but meeting a state trooper along the way isn't fun.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

fix a flat and air pump. tire plug kit maybe small set of tools and let her rip.