General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Crashed my 2000 SS today :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crashed my 2000 SS today :(

I like to think I take good care of my car because I drive normal speeds, wash and wax my car, park in it a garage but lately I have been ******* it up. About a month back I got some slight curb rash from getting a little to close and today I hit some guy in a truck at like 5mph. It was dumb, my AC causes my car to have problems at idle and I have a stage III clutch which is a bitch in first gear. So I am sitting there in traffic and I go move forward, my car just about dies from idle so I give it some gas, I slip off the clutch to fast and end up hitting him in the bumper. It ends up being a company car and even with just a scratch on a plastic bumper they have to call the cops. The cops get there and give me 4 points on my license for a scratch while my car has 1000 in damage because the hood is now busted.

I feel like I am fulfilling that stereotype of being a college student who races and tears up his Camaro...but I don't race.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That really blows man, sorry to hear . I would go to court over that ticket though, that's ridiculous.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn.. That sucks.

They really gave you 4 points on ur license for that?

Sorry to hear about that. Wish the best for you and good luck with the repairs!

- Mike
Old 05-05-2008, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Dude I am the same way. I love taking care of my car and letting the old guys rev at me in there vett's like they got a pair and just laughing at them. I know exactly how you feel, and I get the same feeling everytime ANYTHING breaks. Im not sure if we are just really ****, or if you are like me and had to pay for your car (daddy didn't buy it for you) and just really want to take care of your investment. Just think it could be worse (coulda been totaled) and everything can be fixed except for you (well thats not always true )
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
That really blows man, sorry to hear . I would go to court over that ticket though, that's ridiculous.

I also got a ticket because I didn't have an up to date insurance card, even though I have the exact same policy with the same company and I just got a new license plate for my car, which you can't get without having insurance. So on the report, it says unknown insurance company even though I gave the cop my policy number

Which I can get removed by going to the clerk and showing proof but it just adds insult to the injury.
TECH Addict

good luck man, i don't drive a manual right now, but I know if that **** happened to me, I'd be super pissed. I hope everything works out for the best...
Old 05-05-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I love to drive manual, however; this is a racing clutch and in stop and go traffic it is a ******* pain. For anyone out there that drives a 12 second car in stop and go traffic, knows what I mean.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

How can I get the points off with an attorney? What are they going to argue?
Old 05-05-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont know why but since day one of driving a stick, I for some reason always take it out of gear when Im stopped in traffic either at a light or what ever. Im always afraid of my foot slipping or my foot cramp, or something stupid.

OP, its sad cause it sounds like you are just another one of us who takes good care of the car and messes up once on accident. Take it to court, thats BS, maybe get a hold of the driver and get a statement from him if he was cool. I feel for you. Good luck.

Mike
Old 05-05-2008, 10:56 PM
10 Second Moderator

Originally Posted by VetteMan
I also got a ticket because I didn't have an up to date insurance card, even though I have the exact same policy with the same company and I just got a new license plate for my car, which you can't get without having insurance. So on the report, it says unknown insurance company even though I gave the cop my policy number

Which I can get removed by going to the clerk and showing proof but it just adds insult to the injury.
In Michigan no proof of insurance is not a "fix it" ticket, they write it and you pay + you get to pay a yearly "driver responsability" fee (I think its $100) to the state when you renew your license for however many years they decide is enough. I also drive a 2000 Camaro with a SPEC stg4 and T-56 that does'nt give me any troubles anywhere, maybe its not broke in yet.

Fight the ticket no matter what, maybe the cop wont show up.

Good luck to ya, Tom
Old 05-05-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

You must go to court: just tell the judge your car almost died and you give some gas so it wont stall,so you hit the truck. What you did is not illegal, so you dont deserve your ticket. Also, the guy in the truck will have to show up cause the cop wasnt there so he relies only on the ''witness'' for the ticket. Often, those guys dont care and dont show up, and even if he does, your word is still as good as his.

it sucks and goodluck
Old 05-05-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Torkman15
In Michigan no proof of insurance is not a "fix it" ticket, they write it and you pay + you get to pay a yearly "driver responsability" fee (I think its $100) to the state when you renew your license for however many years they decide is enough. I also drive a 2000 Camaro with a SPEC stg4 and T-56 that does'nt give me any troubles anywhere, maybe its not broke in yet.

Fight the ticket no matter what, maybe the cop wont show up.

Good luck to ya, Tom

Really, my clutch is stiff as ****.. I remember I started to get spasms in my leg from driving my car in stop and go traffic for 2 hours one time. Maybe I am just weak.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

Naw man, I have the same problems. Try an 11 second car with a semi-beginner driver. I have a built racing clutch and it is a b!tch driving in 1st and 2nd. I'm a big guy and I have to take it out of gear at lights because it seems the clutch is trying its hardest to push back against your foot and cramp it up!!!!! lol. Sorry to hear about the SS, I hope everything works out for you. I'm sure your car means as much to you as ours do to all of us.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

That is exactly how it is for me WS6R6
Old 05-06-2008, 01:44 AM
TECH Addict

What were you ticketed for? Usually in an accident somebody is always at fault and obviously in this case it was you since the other guy was stopped. Am I saying you are a retard or a reckless driver? Not at all, but you ran into the back of him so you are at fault.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Like others said. Go to court and try to bring the truck driver along as a witness if he is ok with it. Try to get those points dropped.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Sorry to hear about your car... I always put the car in neutral at lights and even when I'm slowing down to a light or stop sign. Traffic is the same way. It's good for your clutch too.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by waldershrek
What were you ticketed for? Usually in an accident somebody is always at fault and obviously in this case it was you since the other guy was stopped. Am I saying you are a retard or a reckless driver? Not at all, but you ran into the back of him so you are at fault.
I was ticketed for careless driving for a scratch o a plastic bumper, I could have buffed my paint out and dyed it. There was no reason for the cops to even be there it was just that their boss wanted a police report. No insurance got filed or anything.

Also, I am not saying it was not my fault but there was just no need to get 4 points for a scratch. No one here would have called the cops over a bumper scratch. Just because the cop came doesn't mean I had to get a ticket, **** back in high school I total one of my cars and only got 2 points but now I scratch someones bumper I get 4.. That is all kinds of fucked up.

Last edited by VetteMan; 05-06-2008 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:08 AM
TECH Veteran

that sucks dude...im dealing with insurance companies right now still and it's been 3 weeks. Except it was this bitches fault and she is blaming it on me
Old 05-06-2008, 11:14 AM
10 Second Club

I don't understand what this points thing is all about? I've just known to get ticketed for doing something. I've totalled a car before and didn't come out of it to bad.