General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cooling and Purple Ice

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 08:35 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling and Purple Ice (Please read inside)

I am thinking about flushing my system and running a Purple Ice / Water Mixture. From what they are claiming this stuff won't allow formation of scale deposits in the radiator for optimum coolant flow and lubricates the seals of the water pump. For some reason they still want Street cars to run 20% anti freeze, here is a quote from their site.

Purple IceŽ is a high performance, synthetic, radiator coolant additive for both gasoline and diesel engines. It is formulated to reduce the surface tension of the coolant, which improves heat transfer through the cooling system while providing additional protection against rust, corrosion and erosion.

Purple IceŽ prevents the formation of scale deposits in the radiator for optimum coolant flow and lubricates the seals of the water pump. It is ideal for use in straight water racing applications or in antifreeze / water mixtures.

Purple IceŽ is compatible with traditional ethylene glycol antifreeze (green) and GM Dex-CoolŽ antifreeze coolants
Old 10-13-2003, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

Default Re: Cooling and Purple Ice (Please read inside)

I know on a lot of the road courses down here, they do not let you run with antifreeze in your car at all. So most people run a mix of water wetter and water, but it offers no protection against freezing. So as long as it doesnt get too cold where you are at, go for it.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:01 PM
Launching!

Just called Royal Purple they are claiming you MUST run 20% coolant in street cars or else at 212 degrees the water will boil over. How are you guys getting away with straight water and Royal Purple?
Old 10-13-2003, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

They are getting away with it because there car probably does not get hot enought to boil over. I have been using the Redline water wetter and just about 10 percent anti-freeze and the rest water. My car has never gotten above 188 degrees in 100 degree weather here in Texas.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Howdy, I'm new to list and need some help. I have a 1998 SS with a reworked chip (don't know by who) can't get car through inspection. I'd like to buy a stock computer. Can anybody help?
Old 10-13-2003, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

musclemotor, you should post a new thread, it will help with replies, and keep topics on track..
Old 10-13-2003, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Water boils at 212 when NOT underpressure. When under pressure the boiling point is higher.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

My car stays right around 185* with the fans set to come on early.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

I am thinking about flushing my system and running a Purple Ice / Water Mixture. From what they are claiming this stuff won't allow formation of scale deposits in the radiator for optimum coolant flow and lubricates the seals of the water pump. For some reason they still want Street cars to run 20% anti freeze, here is a quote from their site.

Purple IceŽ is a high performance, synthetic, radiator coolant additive for both gasoline and diesel engines. It is formulated to reduce the surface tension of the coolant, which improves heat transfer through the cooling system while providing additional protection against rust, corrosion and erosion.

Purple IceŽ prevents the formation of scale deposits in the radiator for optimum coolant flow and lubricates the seals of the water pump. It is ideal for use in straight water racing applications or in antifreeze / water mixtures.

Purple IceŽ is compatible with traditional ethylene glycol antifreeze (green) and GM Dex-CoolŽ antifreeze coolants

Ethylene-Glycol has a higher boiling point than water. Mixing this with the water in your radiator raises it's boiling point.
Example:
A 50/50 mix of EG and Water has a boiling point of 265*
A 60/40 mix boils at 270*
A 70/30 mox boils at 276*

As the Colonel stated increasing the systems pressure will also increase the boiling point.
Water with high mineral content will also boil sooner than distilled water. Ever notice how much faster a pot full of water with salt in it boils?

The corrosion inhibitors (Carboxylates) found in DEX-Cool are very effective (relatively) and are very useful in a street vehicle where coolant will not be changed on a regular basis.

That being said I use Redline Water Wetter in all of my vehicles.Both cars are ran 50/50 Dex-Cool/Distilled water and the motorcycle runs Distilled Water/Water Wetter .I do this because Anti-Freeze is not allowed on the road courses it is raced on(it's very slippery stuff). I drain the coolant and replace with a 70/30(distilled water) mix for winter storage.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:26 PM
Launching!

I think I am going to run either 10% Anti-Freeze / Distilled water / Royal Purple OR Distilled Water / Royal Purple. Anyone try the SLP radiator?

Quick Reply: Cooling and Purple Ice