~ INOP ABS, SES, BRAKE, Coolant - Help!? ~

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ~ INOP ABS, SES, BRAKE, Coolant - Help!? ~

Yep, all those lights are on!

Oh and I should say I just got my first LS1 car! wOOt! So happy

It seems to be running and driving great! And the person I bought it from said they've been on for as long as she can remember. Its been in the shop many times but it never went away.

SES codes are P0420 and P0430 - O2 bank 1 and 2!?!

1999 Z28 M6

Old 04-12-2010, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coolant light comes on so easy in these cars if the mixture is off just a little. If you really hate it that much flush the radiator then bleed it and refill with the proper mixture.

02's my need to be cleaned, does it have an aftermarket exhaust?
Old 04-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Launching!

All thoses lights minus the ses light come on mine too. I have traction controll on mine that light come on too.. cant figure out what it is.Someone said bad abs sensor will cause brake, inop abs and ARS (traction control) ligth to come on
Old 04-13-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Original bacon
Coolant light comes on so easy in these cars if the mixture is off just a little. If you really hate it that much flush the radiator then bleed it and refill with the proper mixture.

02's my need to be cleaned, does it have an aftermarket exhaust?
Wow I didnt realize it read mixture. I just thought it was a level reader. Good to know. Ill prob just remove the bulb.

How do I clean O2s? I just did a SeaFoam and it runs a helluva lot better, so if theryre just dirty I made it a lot worse

Originally Posted by z28camaro1090
All thoses lights minus the ses light come on mine too. I have traction controll on mine that light come on too.. cant figure out what it is.Someone said bad abs sensor will cause brake, inop abs and ARS (traction control) ligth to come on
Oh I have ARS on too! So I say we have the exact same problem. I just have a couple more

I remember reading a thread mentioning the BCM and had success in fixing it. Ill see if I can find it.

Heres something:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/western-m...ights-all.html

Last edited by nimrod.sixty9; 04-13-2010 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:19 AM
TECH Regular

I also should mention:
-Headlights flicker/dim (like a loose ground)
-I can feel a slight miss/vibration at idle
-When started the Tach and speedo went max and fuel went min. Then within a few seconds the gauges bottomed and then all went to normal. Ive only noticed/seen this happen once.

Also I now realize the SES codes are related to CAT efficiency - post cats. Sorry I didn't know that LS1's had 2 cats LOL. So are they both going south or am I running rich somewhere?
Old 04-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Launching!

I have the first 2 as well. and also my voltage seems to dip pretty low sometimes. if things are losing power or plugs arent getting spark it could cause the motor to run rich. Also, when my lights come on the defroster in the back and the power seat doesnt work
Old 04-13-2010, 01:15 PM
Launching!

I dont think it will cause any further issues with the car. Just will be annoying that it is always on lol..
Old 04-13-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Regular

So is it my ALT or? Do I need to do a tune up??? Just tell me what to do LOL
Old 04-14-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

p0420 and p0430 are codes for bad cats. They are probably bad. The guy should have had them replaced under an extended warranty GM sent out but its out of warranty now i believe(10years). I would clear the cat problem up first, and obviously a basic tuneup wouldn't hurt.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

i have theame problems with the cats. i just deleted them out. check your ground wires if your lights are flickering.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Regular

^^^ Yeah it looks like it could all be related to a ground. I noticed the lights (not SES) didnt come on until the voltage hit 13. Ive been reading thread after thread and one post that caught my eye was saying these components are the first to fail when on low power due to the amount they use.

That and of course the flickering lights.

So is there a pic out there that points out all the ground locations?

As for the SES I dont have anything to keep the codes from coming back. Came back on 2 minutes after deleting them out with the scanner.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Launching!

yes, you have a bad catalytic converter, and probably an overheating issue burned the cat out.. if your coolant light is on, fill the radiator and overflow with coolant... duh... If your brake light abs and traction light is on, you have a problem with the abs. have a shop check it out, they can track the wheel speed sensors... if they tell you what wheel it is, you can even peel back the wire loom and check for a broken wire. otherwise you have a bad wheel bearing. damn... sounds like your car has been abused... poor car.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Launching!

and find the coolant leak. or you might have a bad head, and you are burning the coolant... if you are, the catalytic converter will get contaminated with coolant, and you will fry out every catalytic converter you put in it... and it will never pass emmissions and the car will become a scrap pile.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:54 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nimrod.sixty9
Yep, all those lights are on!
You guys need to check out this thread. I lucked out on my 'Z with just cleaning up the wheel speed sensors. Some of you may not be so lucky...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-trac-off.html
Old 05-17-2010, 04:32 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98pontiac
yes, you have a bad catalytic converter, and probably an overheating issue burned the cat out.. if your coolant light is on, fill the radiator and overflow with coolant... duh... If your brake light abs and traction light is on, you have a problem with the abs. have a shop check it out, they can track the wheel speed sensors... if they tell you what wheel it is, you can even peel back the wire loom and check for a broken wire. otherwise you have a bad wheel bearing. damn... sounds like your car has been abused... poor car.
Originally Posted by 98pontiac
and find the coolant leak. or you might have a bad head, and you are burning the coolant... if you are, the catalytic converter will get contaminated with coolant, and you will fry out every catalytic converter you put in it... and it will never pass emmissions and the car will become a scrap pile.
Had it over a month now and havent had to add a single drop to the coolant... I dont have an overheating issue at all... Thank for the input though

Originally Posted by myk
You guys need to check out this thread. I lucked out on my 'Z with just cleaning up the wheel speed sensors. Some of you may not be so lucky...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-trac-off.html
Seen your post in my other thread. I have replied.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...direction.html
Old 05-17-2010, 12:00 PM
Launching!

Check your ground wires on the passanger side of the engine bay. My car did the same thing and ended up being that the nut was loose. Also make sure that it is clean underneath it as well.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Lets start simple what is the voltage your alternator is producing?
Old 05-17-2010, 12:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by THE SHOP
Lets start simple what is the voltage your alternator is producing?
Checking grounds first then voltage because all of the abs is grounded on the in plain view on the passenger side and just takes a wrench to make sure it is tight
Old 05-17-2010, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Drew24
Checking grounds first then voltage because all of the abs is grounded on the in plain view on the passenger side and just takes a wrench to make sure it is tight
Ok but after let me know your voltage