General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Brake hose swap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Question Brake hose swap?

I have new brake & hoses with T/C & understand the method for changing them... But! How do I stop the master cylinder from draining while I do this?
I think I'm going to purchase a Motive bleeder to bleed the system aswell.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't stop it, and your brake system probably needs to be flushed in any event.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll be bleeding the system anyway, but do I have to drain it completely or keep somehow topping up the master as I do the install like I would as if I was doing a normal brake bleed?
Old 08-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I just bought new metal lines all around.

I'm also putting in a performance fluid, so I'll be flushing my entire system thoroughly. After I remove the lines and all the fluid (or most of it) drains out in that process, then after I put the new lines back on..........Sam Strano told me to fill the brake fluid master cylinder, then bleed the rear-right, then the rear-left, then front-right, then front-left.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ah Ok! It just I was always told you'd run into problems if you let the master drain out completely.
So just drain it do the swap, refill and bleed as normal?
Old 08-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MasterV8
Ah Ok! It just I was always told you'd run into problems if you let the master drain out completely.
So just drain it do the swap, refill and bleed as normal?
I just re-read his email. He said to start by sucking as much of the old fluid out of the master cylinder.......then top it back off with the new fluid. Then bleed/flush it through in the pattern above.........and DO NOT allow the master cylinder to run dry while doing the bleed/flushing at all corners.

So wait at each brake for the new fluid to come out...easy to see the new clean fluid. And have a friend there to keep topping it off between and during hitting each brake to bleed/flush it.

My question is, when i'm replacing the lines won't most of the fluid come out?

Last edited by LS6427; 08-17-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
I just re-read his email. He said to start by sucking as much of the old fluid out of the master cylinder.......then top it back off with the new fluid. Then bleed/flush it through in the pattern above.........and DO NOT allow the master cylinder to run dry while doing the bleed/flushing at all corners.

So wait at each brake for the new fluid to come out...easy to see the new clean fluid. And have a friend there to keep topping it off between and during hitting each brake to bleed/flush it.

My question is, when i'm replacing the lines won't most of the fluid come out?

Right...if you let the master go bone dry, then you're in a situation where you'll need to bench bleed the damn thing.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
Right...if you let the master go bone dry, then you're in a situation where you'll need to bench bleed the damn thing.
So while we're changing these 4 lines....should we leave the top of the MC on as to create a vacuum so the old fluid will not drain out of it. ((Does that little trick work...or not? I'm just guessing.

Or, do we go ahead and suck it dry, then top it off, then while we're changing the lines do I need someone there to keep topping it off with new fluid as it dribbles out of each line?