General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C not working and its HOT in AZ!!!! HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C not working and its HOT in AZ!!!! HELP!!

My A/C was working just fine then I was out driving the other day and it slowly started getting warmer and warmer(thought maybe it was just really hot out and couldnt keep up) and then what do ya know...no ac. I tried recharging it but when I hook up the hose the guage shows 100 and it wont recieve the charge. When I disconnect the hose theres the (shhh) noise as if there was presure. I've tried it with the A/C on high and also with the engine off. Any other ideas???? Need help guys its freakin hot down here in AZ!!!!!
Old 07-18-2011, 11:34 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Quit crying...its not that hot...................just kidding, we're boiling here in South Florida.

Is the clutch engaging on the compressor?

Old 07-19-2011, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

Haha ya i bet! And its got worse since the "monsoon" season so now its real humid...i can deal with dry heat all day long...iraq was just as bad...but humidity sucks! Lol. About the compressor....im not hearing it kick on but its not as loud as my envoys so im not real sure...its actually pretty quiet...sooo i dunno. Is there a no **** way to tell other than hearing it?
Old 07-19-2011, 09:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

You have to look at the compressor to see if the clutch is spinning, not just the pulley itself. When you recharge, the a/c has to be set to maximum fan speed setting and cold setting, don't do it when the car is off. If the clutch isn't spinning after you've recharged it a bit, it needs some refrigerant to get moving, the compressor is a goner. You also may have a leak if the compressor clutch does spin. Check your hoses, I know that mines near the firewall is cracked which is why I'm losing my charge for the moment
Old 07-19-2011, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Prob your pressure switch on the accumulator. This cycles the compresser clutch on and off, according to pressure to keep the evap. from icing up. Easy trick is to unplug the pressure switch and use a small wire to jump it out (on the side with wires) if clutch engages and you are reading a 100 psi its the switch.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Teching In

i tried ordering one, would it be down as a high pressure switch or low? i got the same problem on my 3.4 93 camaro
Old 07-20-2011, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

thanks for the info guys i will check it out tomm when i get the chance...gotta go pick up my new rims first!
Old 07-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jamezruiz
i tried ordering one, would it be down as a high pressure switch or low? i got the same problem on my 3.4 93 camaro
Low pressure switch.