General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Alignment help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alignment help!

I originally posted this on the suspension forum, but thought I might get a better response here:

So a few months ago I got a bit loose in the rain and ended up sliding over a curb sideways going about 20-30mph. this totally threw my alignment out of wack.

So the situation was that the passenger side front tire was wearing on the outside edge. I adjusted the lower control arm so that it was all the way out, which helped but did not solve my problem. I took it to the shop and they basically said something was bent and wished me luck, as I would rather try to repair it myself.

So I purchased new upper and lower control arms, and again it got a little better but its still wearing the outside edge, even when adjusted so it's all the way out. The kicker is that the drivers side is no wearing on the outside edge as well.

Any ideas on what I should be looking for? I'm scratching my head here... If you need me to clarify anything just let me know.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like something is bent if the drivers side is fine and the pass. wears on the outside.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:05 PM
12 Second Club

Is your steering wheel crooked? Sounds like maybe you have a toe issue. I suggest having a reputable shop do a thrust alignment as toe is just too hard to eyeball accurately and it will destroy tires in short order if its off
Old 11-22-2011, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

did it push your wheel in about an inch and the other wheel out an inch like mine?
Old 11-22-2011, 10:42 PM
11 Second Club

The shop is right, something IS bent under there. You need a shop to put it up on a rack and find out what is bent so they/you can replace it. You cant just replace parts and try to align the car yourself in your garage. There are alignment machines that measure within hundredths and thousandths of a degree.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 14k
did it push your wheel in about an inch and the other wheel out an inch like mine?
It looks that way. The passenger side seems ok though. How did you correct this?
Old 11-23-2011, 05:08 PM
Banned

My first car, a 1997 Chrysler Sebring, I remember driving it through the snow. I slid going through an intersection, had a direct impact at about 15MPH with the curb. Stripped a piece of the wheel off.

Took it to the shop, they said the tie rods had been bent, so they needed to be replace. And the camber alignment on the car also needed to be replaced. Of course this was on a Sebring, but it was a similar impact. Tie rods, camber alignment system, and then get a shop to align it for you.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stippy17
The shop is right, something IS bent under there. You need a shop to put it up on a rack and find out what is bent so they/you can replace it. You cant just replace parts and try to align the car yourself in your garage. There are alignment machines that measure within hundredths and thousandths of a degree.
I did take it to a shop with an alignment machine. The camber is out on the passenger. They told me that the camber adjustment was maxed out and it could not be corrected by adjusting the position of the control arm.

we took some comparative measurements and it looked like the control arm was bent. I replaced both the upper and lower control arm with BMR products, which i had intended to order anyway. Unfortunately this did not solve the issue.

I am wondering if the whole K-member could have been shifted and it's causing my alignment issues, or perhaps the steering knuckle its self it bent/damaged.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
My first car, a 1997 Chrysler Sebring, I remember driving it through the snow. I slid going through an intersection, had a direct impact at about 15MPH with the curb. Stripped a piece of the wheel off.

Took it to the shop, they said the tie rods had been bent, so they needed to be replace. And the camber alignment on the car also needed to be replaced. Of course this was on a Sebring, but it was a similar impact. Tie rods, camber alignment system, and then get a shop to align it for you.
Perhaps I'll remove the tie rod and see if the position changes when its on the ground...
Old 11-23-2011, 05:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LSONE
Perhaps I'll remove the tie rod and see if the position changes when its on the ground...
Hope this helps.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:04 PM

I originally posted this on the suspension forum, but thought I might get a better response here:

So a few months ago I got a bit loose in the rain and ended up sliding over a curb sideways going about 20-30mph. this totally threw my alignment out of wack.

So the situation was that the passenger side front tire was wearing on the outside edge. I adjusted the lower control arm so that it was all the way out, which helped but did not solve my motorfiend bulbs. I took it to the shop and they basically said something was bent and wished me luck, as I would rather try to repair it myself.

So I purchased new upper and lower control arms, and again it got a little better but its still wearing the outside edge, even when adjusted so it's all the way out. The kicker is that the drivers side is no wearing on the outside edge as well.

Any ideas on what I should be looking for? I'm scratching my head here... If you need me to clarify anything just let me know.
Did you get the problem solved? If not, I can help you because I had the exact same problem. Tell me how it's going..
Old 11-23-2011, 08:28 PM
11 Second Club

Your kmember could be bent, or your strut could be bent. Both would effect your camber. Like I said you need to have a shop look at the car up on a rack and take measurements to see WHAT is bent so that your not throwing parts at it. You inner/outer tierods could be bent, but that's usually associated with toe not camber.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I've eliminated the tie rods, as the camber is still out on the passenger side with them removed.

Anything else I should check while it's in the air?
Old 11-29-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

It looks that way. The passenger side seems ok though. How did you correct this?
post some pictures.
this is how mine sits still i havent fix it i just drive it.

drivers side

see how the drivers side isnt in the fender as much as the passenger side.