General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

how do you force the ac compresser on???

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you force the ac compresser on???

after my mods everything together my ac compressor wont turn on and its getting hot i tell you. i saw an old video on a lt1 about jumping the relay fuse to turn it on ? is it that simple any help to do this properlly would help
Old 06-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

to the top.....
Old 06-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

bump...
Old 06-02-2012, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have seen this done before, worth a shot on your car, take the ac pressure switch, car running, everything on like you want the a/c on...get a piece of wire, strip both ends...unplug the a/c pressure sensor, and jump the 2 terminals together...should turn the compressor on.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

cool thanks
Old 06-02-2012, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

this does not end the search for knowledge though, please chime in if you know anything else
Old 06-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Launching!

if you're not sure,dont touch the relay.you could end up sending 12v to the ecm and that wouldnt be good.
you're copmpressor is not turning on probably cause its low on freon.so if you just "jump" it on,it still wont cool.
get some gauges and see what the freon pressure is.i bet its low.if so just add a can or so and the compressor will turn on.(if thats the case)
Old 06-02-2012, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What mods did you do? Like was said you can jump the low pressure switch to make sure everything is working electrically. If the compressor is not spinning and jumping the low pressure switch connector makes the clutch engage there are only 2 things that can be wrong, either your charge is low or the low pressure switch is bad. The whole point of the lps is to protect the compressor when the charge (amount of refrigerant) is low. With out enough refrigerant the compressor isn't getting properly lubricated.

I wouldn't waste your time or money trying to put refrigerant in yourself. You have no way of knowing how much is in there and even if it's blowing cold, if the charge is low your compressor may not be getting lubed properly. Too much will make your pressure way too high.

Try jumping the switch and let us know if the compressor comes on. don't run it like that too long but for a few seconds to see if it gets cold. The big line coming out of the evaporator should start getting cold pretty quick.

If it gets cold you may just need a pressure switch. If the compressor comes on but it doesn't get cold then you need to have it recharged and it really needs to be done with the right equipment by someone that knows how to use it
Old 06-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Leeroyws6
if you're not sure,dont touch the relay.you could end up sending 12v to the ecm and that wouldnt be good.
you're copmpressor is not turning on probably cause its low on freon.so if you just "jump" it on,it still wont cool.
get some gauges and see what the freon pressure is.i bet its low.if so just add a can or so and the compressor will turn on.(if thats the case)
True statement. If you jump it and run the compressor without refrigerant in it you can burn up the compressor. The freon cools the compressor and carries the oil around to lubricate everything. This is only recommended as a quick troubleshooting option and I wouldnt run it for long. Just bump test it. If it makes the compressor clutch engage then yes, you most likely need to charge it. As you add freon and the pressure comes up you will hear the clutch engage and disengage until the system has sufficient pressure to keep the clutch engaged all the time.

Quick Reply: how do you force the ac compresser on???