General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

I dont know where to start..

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I dont know where to start..

So I'm dumbfounded by this
The car runs like this whenever its less then 45*F if I'm lucky I can get it rolling but as soon as I get off of the throttle it dies, in the video at the end I.killed.it.because I.felt like I'd do damage. When and if I can get it warmed up to operating temperature it runs fun but till then if I stop at a light she wants to die, kinda like a sputter. It only does this when its cold like less then 45*f
Old 12-11-2012, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Found the solution/problem! It was the MAF, disconected that sucker at 21*f lol she funs fine now, question is, can i drive without it? i wount have hte money till i pay my credit card bill for this month.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

First try some maf cleaner, you should be fine running with it unhooked. The pcm go's into speed density mode.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

What kind of air filter do you use? (That could be the source of your MAF problem.) Is it an oiled air filter?

It might also be interesting to put a scanner on your car and see if the IAT is reading properly. They could both be fouled and need cleaning.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wssix99
What kind of air filter do you use? (That could be the source of your MAF problem.) Is it an oiled air filter?

It might also be interesting to put a scanner on your car and see if the IAT is reading properly. They could both be fouled and need cleaning.
I cleaned both, and yes i am using a K&N Airfilter that is oiled and reuseable, i have her running fiine, but i still have the issue of when its below operational tempature when cold, she doesnt seem to like to idle, tends to drop a little low and smells rich, for example if im at a light i tend to have to put it in nutral and lightly gas it to 1k because she sounds like she wants to sputter out and die :c
Old 12-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Mista Blazer
I cleaned both
What did you clean them with? You may have to do a deeper cleaning. (Some of us have had to use a Q-Tip, but that's really dangerous...)

yes i am using a K&N Airfilter that is oiled and reuseable
I threw mine away and life has been much better since.

i still have the issue of when its below operational tempature when cold, she doesnt seem to like to idle, tends to drop a little low and smells rich
It would be interesting to hook your car up to a scanner and see what the IAT and MAF are reading. Odd that you are smelling rich. I'd expect things to fail lean.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:28 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Found the solution/problem! It was the MAF, disconected that sucker at 21*f lol she funs fine now, question is, can i drive without it? i wount have hte money till i pay my credit card bill for this month.
Its fine.....I drove my 427ci for like 2 years with my MAF unplugged....ran wonderfully the whole time. Gas mileage was normal too.

K&N = biggest scam in the automotive industry. Well, there is that Tornado thing too....lol

Old 12-13-2012, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What did you clean them with? You may have to do a deeper cleaning. (Some of us have had to use a Q-Tip, but that's really dangerous...)

I threw mine away and life has been much better since.

It would be interesting to hook your car up to a scanner and see what the IAT and MAF are reading. Odd that you are smelling rich. I'd expect things to fail lean.
I used just the good ol' MAF cleaner from orielys. As far as the filter I haven't seem.to have issues from it. I like.the idea if one filter rather then after like 2-3 filters you basically have bought, the K&N. But that's another debate for.another day haha

Running rich or lean, I think it may be due to my O2 sensors, when.I had my exhaust put on I had the cats cut off
Old 12-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Save the manuals!

As far as the filter I haven't seem.to have issues from it. I like.the idea if one filter rather then after like 2-3 filters you basically have bought, the K&N. But that's another debate for.another day haha

Running rich or lean, I think it may be due to my O2 sensors, when.I had my exhaust put on I had the cats cut off

A dirty MAF is the air filter issue. They can shed oil off of them, which the heater/cleaner on the MAF can't get rid of. That oil covering on the MAF "hides" the true air flow in to the engine, which causes the PCM to compensate by leaning out the fuel mix. So, if you are really rich... this wouldn't be your issue.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well im back to square one, cleaning it only lasted about a week :/

Went and had the codes read and i was throwing P0202 MAF circuit Low Input

Last edited by Mista Blazer; 12-17-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:27 AM
Save the manuals!

Does the car improve if you unplug the MAF?
Old 12-18-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Does the car improve if you unplug the MAF?
Yes, except for the shifting, i must say it wants to GO! lol im scared for my u-joints since i just replaced them.. from revearse i go to nutral and let the RPMs drop, then go to drive and she still seems like im nutural droping x.x
Old 12-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Save the manuals!

It sounds like a bad or damaged MAF then with the PCM seeing a bad output from the sensor and your problem being intermittent.

Your description of the transmission issue above sounds a lot like a bad torque converter. Automatic, right?
Old 12-18-2012, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It sounds like a bad or damaged MAF then with the PCM seeing a bad output from the sensor and your problem being intermittent.

Your description of the transmission issue above sounds a lot like a bad torque converter. Automatic, right?
I think my MAF is damaged :/ but as far as the transmission, it only does rough shifting when the MAF is unpluged. its fine when it is plugged in.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Save the manuals!

I think my MAF is damaged :/ but as far as the transmission, it only does rough shifting when the MAF is unpluged. its fine when it is plugged in.
They can be damaged easily.

Does your transmission still act up once the care is up to temperature? I don't have a lot of personal experience with automatics, but would expect the car to behave differently once its up to temp. (It may not behave better, but differently...)
Old 12-18-2012, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They can be damaged easily.

Does your transmission still act up once the care is up to temperature? I don't have a lot of personal experience with automatics, but would expect the car to behave differently once its up to temp. (It may not behave better, but differently...)
I honestly cant say, i didnt drive it very long with the MAF unplugged, once i change out my Alternator, i will take her around the town and get back to you on that.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:17 AM
Save the manuals!

Once the car heats up and goes in to closed loop, you may notice a change. Unplugging the MAF takes it out of the open loop equation, which usually improves performance and can isolate when the actual sensor is the problem.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Once the car heats up and goes in to closed loop, you may notice a change. Unplugging the MAF takes it out of the open loop equation, which usually improves performance and can isolate when the actual sensor is the problem.
The sensor is only an issue when the out side tempature is below 45*f when the MAF is unplugged i do notice a slight higher iddle especially when its cold out, and the car is not up to operating tempature. That was where i was getting the feeling of *nutral Dropping* from going from revurse. its not like im trying to be a bat out of hell lol, but i will come to a complete stop with the breaks fully set.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Save the manuals!

It's probably an issue and you are probably running lean all the time because of it. You may be hitting a threshold at 45* where the programming relies more on the input of the bad sensor.

Quick Reply: I dont know where to start..