General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need smaller drive belt what size?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 11:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Need smaller drive belt what size?

Looks like the belt is to small. What size down does it look like I need? Current belt is k060760 micro v that shop used with the powerbond 25% pulley.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:27 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,209 Posts

What makes you think you need a different belt size?

Anything between the two outside marks is acceptable. For reference, my '98 sits just above the middle mark, and my '02 sits just below the middle mark. Yours appears to be sitting even with the middle mark, which puts it directly between my two.

Are you having an issue, or just concerned about what you see on the tensioner (which looks fine BTW)?
Old 12-19-2012, 02:52 PM
10 Second Club

Because the pointer is supposed to be on/between the 2 closer marks on the right...no?
Thats how I understand it from here http://myfiero.oceanmoon.com/how-to/...h-serpent-belt

According to the pic in the link it shows the pointer in line with the middle mark and says the belt is the wrong size.
That link was posted by wssix99 and said its the same guide to follow for our tensioner.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:34 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I actually would take away a different understanding from that link. I don't see where it says that the image shows the wrong size belt? Looks perfect to me. It says:

A new belt should have the pointer on/between the closer marks.
....looking at the picture you posted of yours, your pointer would qualify as "on/between the closer marks", since it seems to be sitting right on the second mark.

Furthermore, it says:

The pointer on the arm must be within the gauge area on the bracket.
...the "gauge area" includes the area between all three marks.

If the pointer is not in that area, the belt is not at the right tension and probably will not last long. Ideally the pointer should be in the middle of the gauge. If it is right at the low limit, the left end of the scale in the image, then it will probably move out of range as soon as the belt wears in some. Frankly If the belt is even close to the low limit, you want to replace it. Either it is very worn or significantly too long.
The "low limit" is referring to the third mark all the way at the far end, which your belt is nowhere near. Your belt is comfortably positioned right at the second mark.

Like I mentioned in your other thread about this, my '02 has 100% all factory GM pullies with a newish GM belt and newish GM tensioner, and it sits slightly lower (looser) than the second mark where yours is. So yours is a tad tighter than mine, and mine is all stock. I don't think you have anything to worry about here.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:15 PM
10 Second Club

I know it says all that but then under the pic is says "This belt doesn’t fit, the Catalog must be wrong…" and it shows the arrow in line with the middle mark. Its a contradiction. Do you see what I mean? lol

My other thread shows the belt before I installed the powermaster alternator with smaller alternator pulley. This thread shows how much longer it is after the powermaster. Before the powermaster the belt jumped half way off so now that the belt is longer I am worried it will be worse.

Imo according to the link, my belt is to long because it is pretty new and should be closer in between the two close marks. My pointer is touching a little outside of the two close marks which means ill probably be replacing a fairly new belt pretty soon because it is "technically" (Imo) to long to begin with. This is of course if my tensioner is ok.

Ill go with next size down and see where that puts it.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:59 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
I know it says all that but then under the pic is says "This belt doesn’t fit, the Catalog must be wrong…" and it shows the arrow in line with the middle mark. Its a contradiction. Do you see what I mean? lol

My other thread shows the belt before I installed the powermaster alternator with smaller alternator pulley. This thread shows how much longer it is after the powermaster. Before the powermaster the belt jumped half way off so now that the belt is longer I am worried it will be worse.

Imo according to the link, my belt is to long because it is pretty new and should be closer in between the two close marks. My pointer is touching a little outside of the two close marks which means ill probably be replacing a fairly new belt pretty soon because it is "technically" (Imo) to long to begin with. This is of course if my tensioner is ok.

Ill go with next size down and see where that puts it.
I'm not sure why the link contradicts itself. Perhaps it doesn't, and perhaps they are considering the "gauge area" to be only the first two marks for a non-running engine. In that case, your initial assessment of their statements would be correct.

All I can tell you is that my setup on the '02 is 100% GM parts, and it's essentially in the same spot as yours is right now; that's a factory belt, factory tensioner, and factory pullies. I have no more than 3-4k miles on the belt and tensioner, brand new GM stuff. The belt has never come off nor created any issues with the accessories at all. I can't see how it could possibily be too loose using all factory stuff, and therefore I am not at all concerned about it.

But in your case, if your belt was previously between those two marks (tighter) and was coming off the pullies anyway, then I'm not sure that getting a smaller belt would help with that. I wonder if there is an alignment issue with the belt?
Old 12-19-2012, 10:16 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I'm not sure why the link contradicts itself. Perhaps it doesn't, and perhaps they are considering the "gauge area" to be only the first two marks for a non-running engine. In that case, your initial assessment of their statements would be correct.

All I can tell you is that my setup on the '02 is 100% GM parts, and it's essentially in the same spot as yours is right now; that's a factory belt, factory tensioner, and factory pullies. I have no more than 3-4k miles on the belt and tensioner, brand new GM stuff. The belt has never come off nor created any issues with the accessories at all. I can't see how it could possibily be too loose using all factory stuff, and therefore I am not at all concerned about it.

But in your case, if your belt was previously between those two marks (tighter) and was coming off the pullies anyway, then I'm not sure that getting a smaller belt would help with that. I wonder if there is an alignment issue with the belt?

We need some automotive lawyers in here

No I meant that it condradicts itself when it says "A new belt should have the pointer on/between the closer marks" BUT the picture shows the pointer on the mark and describes the belt as "This belt doesn’t fit, the Catalog must be wrong…" It cant be both lol.

Yea its probably fine. Its only off (if its truley off) by a little. Ill just keep an eye on it
Old 12-19-2012, 10:24 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
No I meant that it condradicts itself when it says "A new belt should have the pointer on/between the closer marks" BUT the picture shows the pointer on the mark and describes the belt as "This belt doesn’t fit, the Catalog must be wrong…" It cant be both lol.
Ah yes, I see what you mean about that and I agree.

Here is further proof of the "gauge range" including all three markings. Check out figure #8 near the bottom (this is also not for an F-body, but the concept of the markings seems similar):

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...00c152800ade05

They show the two outer-most markings as the minimum and maximum, rather than the two closest markings as being min. and max. as suggested in the image description of the Fiero link.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:33 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Here is another link that confirms all three marks are the total range, and the furthest outside mark is the one that would indicate a belt that is too loose:

http://autorepair.about.com/library/.../aa071205e.htm
Old 12-20-2012, 09:41 PM
10 Second Club

Oh yeah. I see what you mean. But I think them telling anyone to use the whole range would be wrong. If the tensioner was totally unloaded then the mark would be right at the "replace belt" mark and hitting the stop. I would expect to have many thrown belts way before that point. And why is there no explanation of the middle mark in those links? Almost as if it has no meaning which we know it does.

Tecnically I believe the fiero link says my belt is too long for a new belt
BUT, looking at those links and getting a bigger picture of everything I believe you are right...length on my belt or yours is fine. I see the light

Quick Reply: Need smaller drive belt what size?