General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

New Car Maintenance!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Car Maintenance!

Hello, I am selling my LT1(162,000miles) and getting a 1998 Camaro SS(20,000miles) this weekend and even though the mileage is low it is a 98 that hasn't been driven often and I am wondering what your advice was as far as what maintenance to do for it to go from a garage kept car to a daily driven car. I will not neglect the needed maintenance but i'm hoping it won't be a laundry list so that I can start building immediately. Thank you for your opinions!
Old 04-16-2013, 12:43 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Outside of the obvious oil and filter change, I would also recommend a full cooling system flush. It's possibile that this may have never been done before, since some people neglect such things with their garage queens. Also, the fuel system might need a good detergent if gas was allowed to age in the tank for long periods without any Stabil being used. My favorite product for this is Red Line SI-1 fuel system treatment.

My advice would be to review with the previous owner what has or hasn't been done in the way of maintenance. If it's a dealer car, then obviously this isn't going to be possibile.

FWIW, my '98 has been a garage queen it's entire life, has even lower mileage than the one you're buying, and could easily be put into service as a daily driver tomorrow if I wanted to. As long as the previous owner of your '98 has kept on top of fluids/fuel, then it's likely that the car will be good to go with minimal efforts at most.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the color of the brake fluid as well. If it's anything but clear, it needs a full system flush to prevent the steel lines from corroding from inside out.

Oil change, possibly spark plugs if original still, air filter, and if possible rotate the tires. Not sure of anything else.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I picked up a 70k mile 2000 SS, and decided I'd just feel better if I changed all fluids. I've also done plugs, fuel filter, and PCV.

For you, it's a 20k mile car but it also rolled off the assembly line 15 years ago. Personally, I'd do:

Engine Oil
Diff Lube
Trans fluid
Coolant
PS flush
Brake/Cutch (if applicable) flush
Fuel Filter (after I've run a tank or two through it)
Old 04-16-2013, 08:59 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

- Be sure to change the PCV
- I'd also change the fuel filter a few times as you get going and the car starts putting on miles.
- I'm not an expert on rears, but I'd probably also flush the rear gear fluid out of an abundance of caution.

I'd also liberally replenish my own internal fluids with a high protein concoction once the work is done.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:11 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What those guys said, especially wssix99's last word of advice!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

agreed!

As a side item, changing the diff fluid made me feel much better about the car. Came out clean and just had shavings on the magnet, no chunks. I feel much better having been able to inspect it myself. Same with the trans fluid. Watched it drain, looked nice and red still, no chunks/debris in it. I view it as a "post-purchase inspection opportunity"
Old 04-16-2013, 11:43 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Diff. fluid is a good point. The '98s still used the Auburn cluth-type posi that calls for a fluid change at 7500 miles (per the owner's manual), and will require the LSD additive for proper operation. I used one small bottle of GM LSD and about 1.75 quarts of 80w90 conventional gear lube, as factory recommended for this differential.

I didn't change this fluid until about 12k miles on mine though, but what came out was still very clean.

Would be a good idea to do the fuel filter, as mentioned above.

No telling how old the battery is either, so you might want to change that.

Quick Reply: New Car Maintenance!