General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Squeal...I'm at my witt's end.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Squeal...I'm at my witt's end.

OK, I need some help before I burn this car to the ground. I just purchased a ’99 SS last week. I have put fewer miles on it than I have hours trying to figure out these issues.

When I looked/test drove the car there was a small chirp/whistle at low rpms…nothing to get crazy over. I figured it was some bearings on an idler pulley or something. The previous owner had all the belts and hoses replaced recently, as well as the alternator, and AC. Anyhow, on the way home from purchasing the car, the low coolant light comes on. I was headed to the assessor’s office to pay the taxes on it when the water pump failed…spewing antifreeze. Then the noise came…the GOD AWEFUL SQUEAL. I thought maybe it was from the antifreeze pouring onto the belt.

I get it home and up on the ramps. The next morning I bought a new water pump and T-stat and replaced the old one. I started the car and what do you know…the squeal is still lingering around. So I figured I’d start with the basics and replaced the belt…it was quiet for a little bit, but the sound came back. So I replaced the tension pulley….and it was still there. So I removed the idler pulleys and regreased the bearings….and it is still there. My next thought was that maybe the tensioner itself was bad. So I drove all over town until I found a store that had one in stock and raced back home to put it on…and the squeal is still there.

So now, I have wasted about a hundred bucks on parts that didn’t need to be replaced and time that will never be recouped. It sounds like it is coming from the driver’s side of the motor which leaves me with the power steering pump. I opened the cap and the fluid was low…like to the bottom of the reservoir low. I did notice the other night when driving it around my neighborhood that it felt like the steering was off from what I remember on my last two LS1 cars…

I had to stop working on it so that I could get ready for work, which leaves me where I am now. I have never worked on or with power steering on these cars. I have never had issues with any of my LS1 cars or other cars at that…so this leaves me with little to no experience on this matter.
So where do I go from here? I will refill the reservoir, but I am assuming that isn’t going to stop it from squealing. Am I wrong for that assumption? Or is the pump going bad?…and how hard is it to replace? People with experience please chime in.

-Drew
Old 08-14-2013, 03:56 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

In my experience, once the idler pullies start to squeak, it's usually too late to save them with a re-grease. I faught with a persistant squeak as well, and ended up having to replace both idler pullies, both tensioner pullies, and both tensioners. The squeak is finally gone, and has been for quite a while now.

So while it's possibile that one of the accessories is causing the noise (such as the PS pump), I'd first suggest doing the cheapest and most simple things. Try removing the A/C system belt, and then see if the noise is still there. If so, you now know that it's on the main system (or possibily both). If not, you now know that it's on the A/C system. Once you know this, my next move would be new (not just re-greased) idler and tensioner pullies on the affected belt system (main or A/C or both).
Old 08-14-2013, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Have you tried taking the belt off and starting the car to see if the noise is actually coming from the drive system?
Old 08-14-2013, 04:35 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by KissMyWhiteSS
So where do I go from here? I will refill the reservoir, but I am assuming that isn’t going to stop it from squealing. Am I wrong for that assumption?
Unless your P/S pump is running dry, topping off the fluid will probably not change things. A full flush, may but...

A $5-10 mechanics stethoscope will allow you to pinpoint where the sound is coming from. It could even be from one of your "new" components. One of the worst squeals I've ever gotten came from a 1 year old brand new alternator.

You can also use a long metal rod and hold it up to your ear to pinpoint the noise, but this is a lot more dangerous around rotating parts/belts. I've used both and they both work equally as good. The probe on the stethoscope and/or the bare metal rod vibrates like a tuning fork when you put it on the noisy part and its perfectly clear where the sound is coming from.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have removed the serp belt and the squeal went away...so i know that it is coming from there. I am about 90% positive that it is either the P/S or the alternator. Is there a way to narrow it down other than stethescope or metal pipe? I suppose I can do the pipe..
Old 08-14-2013, 06:29 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by KissMyWhiteSS
I have removed the serp belt and the squeal went away...so i know that it is coming from there. I am about 90% positive that it is either the P/S or the alternator. Is there a way to narrow it down other than stethescope or metal pipe? I suppose I can do the pipe..
The stethescope is a nice tool. Without it, no matter how sure you are of where the noise is coming from, you might be surprised at its actual source.

I too was convinced that my last squeak was coming from the PS or alternator pulley, listening just by ear. It turned out to be the A/C idler and A/C tensioner pullies instead.

Again, adding grease to worn pulley bearings, that have been allowed to run dry to the point of making noise in the first place, often won't cure the noise for long (or at all).
Old 08-15-2013, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The noise isn't coming from the AC pulleys, so I have narrowed that down. The idler pulley on the main drive wasn't dry, nor did it really need new grease, but I packed it anyways. I need to get a stethoscope to pin point the problem. I feel like I am chasing a rat now.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I solved the squealing noise...bought a can of belt conditioner and sprayed it...worked like a charm.

It pisses me off though, I just bought the belt the other day and on my way to work my thermostat housing was leaking and it started squealing then.

It was a crappy belt anyhow, so I ordered two Gatorbacks today for $35 shipped.

I still have some bearing noise, which I can live with until I fix them.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Are you sure one of the pulley's isn't messed up or the tensioner isn't sprung? Belt dressing really isn't a "fix" for anything. If you have a pulley with out-of-whack grooves or improper tension, the dressing may be temporarily hiding the problem.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

put a small amount of black RTV on the belt ribs in one spot... that should eliminate the squeak....

Quick Reply: Squeal...I'm at my witt's end.