General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power steering cooler delete

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 04:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering cooler delete

I'm just trying to figure out if the previous owner did me the favors of deleting the factory cooler for me I believe he did there is one long hose going from the water pump to the top drivers of the radiator as there should be also it appears that there were 2 small hoses coming off of the larger hose that have been plumbed in together does this sound like a delete to you guys
Old 01-20-2014, 09:28 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad28
I'm just trying to figure out if the previous owner did me the favors of deleting the factory cooler for me I believe he did there is one long hose going from the water pump to the top drivers of the radiator as there should be also it appears that there were 2 small hoses coming off of the larger hose that have been plumbed in together does this sound like a delete to you guys
So the metal pipe (factory cooler) is still there.....he just capped the two ports?

If so, then he stopped power steering fluid from going through that cooler pipe, so I guess you could call that a delete. If I were you I would go spend the $15.00 or so and put a rubber hose on. All rubber upper radiator hose. That metal pipe is ugly.

Then spend about another $25.00 and put an aftermarket 4 rail cooler on there. Takes 15 minutes to put it on. Your power steering pump will last a VERY long time. Mine is 15 years old.....they die from heat. Keep them cool.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, ditch that metal pipe as it could still fail and than you will loose your radiator fluid out of those two holes. An aftermarket one is the way to go. I have a 2 rail one right behind the air damn on my front bumper, but mine is 24" long, so it keeps my fluid nice and cool. Much happier and the steering feel is 10 times better, at all temps.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome thank you guys and ya I will be getting the cooler and I'll also be sure to get the new radiator hose thanks agIn
Old 01-20-2014, 01:46 PM
Banned

Awesome thank you guys and ya I will be getting the cooler and I'll also be sure to get the new radiator hose thanks agIn
Personally, I suggest you mount a 4 rail cooler like I have.....zip tie it where you see mine. Then take a razor knife and cut that little slit in the air dam. Your power steering temps will never get more than just warm to the touch. That slit makes all the difference.

See mine in here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...g+fluid+cooler

......and NO, the slit has absolutely ZERO affect on coolant temps......

Last edited by LS6427; 01-20-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you I read your thread last night and was hopping the PO had mounted one somewhere but thank you for the awesome write up
Old 01-20-2014, 03:28 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You could also roll the dice and not run a cooler at all. In hindsight, that's what I would have done. This is not to discredit any success other people have had when installing an aftermarket one, but I'd personally not bother with it again.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:01 PM
12 Second Club

Or, IF you live where it gets cold, and HAVE TO use this car year 'round, since it is your ONLY vehicle (like me, but unlike almost everyone else on here), you could add a cooler, and put a thermostat on it, or just run VERY VERY thin fluid in the winter.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:38 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by demonspeed
You could also roll the dice and not run a cooler at all. In hindsight, that's what I would have done. This is not to discredit any success other people have had when installing an aftermarket one, but I'd personally not bother with it again.
After several tests and review of the data, this was the conclusion I came to as well. All of my results were posted in the latter pages of this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...g-success.html

Depending on your driving style and climate, an aftermarket cooler may not be necessary and, you may be better off with no cooler at all than with the factory cooler. In any event, it's best to remove the factory cooler before it begins to leak IMO.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:12 AM
Staging Lane

Well that was my original question I guess it has been deleted as far as functionality but it's still their I will put a cooler on eventually however I drive the car maybe once a month
Old 01-21-2014, 04:09 AM
Banned

Well that was my original question I guess it has been deleted as far as functionality but it's still their I will put a cooler on eventually however I drive the car maybe once a month
Once a month.....than I wouldn't rush out to get an aftermarket cooler on there. It's not needed. But remember......HEAT is what kills car parts under the hood. Heat is the biggest killer, even bigger than time. Non-use is probably the worse thing for a car and its plastic and rubber parts. But excessive heat just wipes things out.

Both myself and "RPM WS6" have had incredibly long lasting parts on our cars. Like I mentioned, my power steering pump is factory original and 15 years old now. I know its because of how cool its been running, because I have way over 200,000 miles on my car....hard *** life of driving in South Florida heat. I like to keep things cool as possible. My car has been my daily driver since 1998 when I bout it new.....so it's used a LOT......which is a good thing for car parts.

......although, my girlfriend went to start my car yesterday to let it run for about 10 minutes.....and the damn battery was too low to start it. I've been out of the country working for 5 weeks.....and she waited too long to run it......women.....!

Old 01-21-2014, 09:45 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
But remember......HEAT is what kills car parts under the hood. Heat is the biggest killer, even bigger than time. Non-use is probably the worse thing for a car and its plastic and rubber parts. But excessive heat just wipes things out.
I agree with the concept of heat being responsible for a lot of wear on rubbers and plastics. Non-use isn't as much of an issue as people make it out to be in terms of plastic and rubber though, as I have discovered that my garage queens have held up considerably better in this regard than the daily drivers. Engine heat will do more to wear/dry these items out than just sitting in the garage.

As far as the PS cooler goes, I agree that you definitely need to take your respective climate into account. It's so rarely hot here in Chicago that, as my tests showed, PS fluid heat isn't a huge concern under normal daily driving conditions in our normal summer weather. I'm sure south FL is a different story, so again I encourage individuals to consider their climate AND driving styles when deciding whether or not a cooler is needed for their application.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

......although, my girlfriend went to start my car yesterday to let it run for about 10 minutes.....and the damn battery was too low to start it. I've been out of the country working for 5 weeks.....and she waited too long to run it......women.....!

This made me laugh, same thing happened to me, but mine was a wife. So this time i got a Battery Tender and hooked it up, no problems starting it again, i got the 2 bay version to plug my bike in as well.

Back on topic, when i was in San Diego, my non cooled PS Pump that i ran after deleting my stock one killed my original PS Pump, but i drove it every day with stock 275's up front. Did that for about 3 years till i went with an aftermarket cooler and could not be happier. But down there it was really hot, up in WA, i have to give it a few lock to lock turns so it is not so stiff in the winter. Really depends on where you live, but mine is not a DD any more.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't have fluid coming out from under the power steering cap anymore since the aftermarket cooler was installed.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
This made me laugh, same thing happened to me, but mine was a wife. So this time i got a Battery Tender and hooked it up, no problems starting it again, i got the 2 bay version to plug my bike in as well.
I was gonna get one...I just got all rushed getting day to leave for Kuwait and didn't have time. When I get home for my OFF period Ill get one. What brand do you have....I want the dual one like you have.....?

Old 01-23-2014, 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
After several tests and review of the data, this was the conclusion I came to as well. All of my results were posted in the latter pages of this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...g-success.html

Depending on your driving style and climate, an aftermarket cooler may not be necessary and, you may be better off with no cooler at all than with the factory cooler. In any event, it's best to remove the factory cooler before it begins to leak IMO.
IF one does not live in south Tejas, the lower sothwest, or the deep south, and does not EVER have plans to autocross/open track/HPDE their car, then YES, I agree with not bothering with an aftermarket (or stock/factory) p.s. cooler.

BUT, in ANY case (with OR without a cooler), I DO advocate for running a very good, high VI index, synthetic power steering FLUID.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was gonna get one...I just got all rushed getting day to leave for Kuwait and didn't have time. When I get home for my OFF period Ill get one. What brand do you have....I want the dual one like you have.....?

PM Sent.

Quick Reply: Power steering cooler delete