General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Anytone try Eneos 5w-30 motor oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Anytone try Eneos 5w-30 motor oil?

I just did an oil change on my wife's 2012 V-6 Accord (uses 0-20). On a trip to NYC, with AC going and some traffic we got 31 mpg, which is a lot better then we've gotten before. I'm going to try this on my camaro next oil change, and was wondering what other people have experienced with this oil. It's available off the shelf at my local NAPA.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:25 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

It wasn't the motor oil that got you better mileage.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the Eneos SUSTINA 0W-20, mixed with either Red Line 0W-40, or Mobil 1 0W-40, to get a VERY high viscosity index, ~3.3-3.4 HTHSV oil (NO 0W-30 I have found can give me this high a V.I., THIS is the reason I blend these two oils, instead of just buying a 0/5W-30, in case anyone asks. )

I LOVE it!
Old 06-10-2014, 09:11 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by dailydriver
I use the Eneos SUSTINA 0W-20, mixed with either Red Line 0W-40, or Mobil 1 0W-40, to get a VERY high viscosity index, ~3.3-3.4 HTHSV oil (NO 0W-30 I have found can give me this high a V.I., THIS is the reason I blend these two oils, instead of just buying a 0/5W-30, in case anyone asks. )

I LOVE it!
I think you are going to blow some minds of folks with that one. (unless they are a chemical or mechanical engineer)

I don't think that we want to confuse this as something that might give the OP better mileage. The dirty air filter or clogged oil filter that was replaced during the wife's oil change, along with slower speeds on the roads leading in to NYC probably did something for the improved mileage - but not the type of oil.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wssix99
I think you are going to blow some minds of folks with that one. (unless they are a chemical or mechanical engineer)

I don't think that we want to confuse this as something that might give the OP better mileage. The dirty air filter or clogged oil filter that was replaced during the wife's oil change, along with slower speeds on the roads leading in to NYC probably did something for the improved mileage - but not the type of oil.
Yes, true, but I am convinced that the higher the viscosity index, the BETTER (as long as the oil company/blender is using the newest, highest quality, asteric polymer viscosity index improvers which do NOT shear down like all of the old timers think ALL VIIs do).

Eneos SUSTINA is one of those companies using those VIIs, since one CANNOT get a 229 VI without using them.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:19 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by dailydriver
the higher the viscosity index, the BETTER
The better for what? Not mileage, right?

BTW - Is this stuff for real? The only Enos I know chases those darn Duke boys in the General Lee.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One of the reasons I posted this was to see what others may have experienced with this oil. I was surprised to see the improvement to gas mileage. The previous oil, Napa 0w-20 synthetic, had been in the car for about 5 months while the Honda motor oil life showed the oil to be 80%, with oil change recommended at 10-20%. While this is a nice indicator of the condition of the oil, I go by what it looks like and length of time/mileage since last change. The older oil was certainly darker in appearance, but not sludgy at all. The older oil filter was a Napa platinum, and was replaced with a Napa gold. One of the considerations may be that the gas was switched out from winter blend. Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:41 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by xny1989
One of the reasons I posted this was to see what others may have experienced with this oil.
So, as said above the oil itself won't impact your mileage. The restrictive elements changed during the oil change might, like the air filter and the oil filter - but not by much. The speed at which you travel has the biggest impact. A difference of as little as 5 mph at highway speeds can have a 5+ mpg impact on your gas mileage. (So, it would be very difficult to tell if any of these other components had an impact unless you did a test under controlled conditions.)

The older oil filter was a Napa platinum, and was replaced with a Napa gold.
bobistheoilguy.com has some great comparisons on these filters, but you'll want to check back regularly because manufacturers are constantly tweaking with the materials and construction while keeping the name brand the same.

One of the considerations may be that the gas was switched out from winter blend.
I did the calculations a while back and recall that this switch can be worth an extra 1-2 mpg.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All great points wssix99. Thanks
Old 06-13-2014, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

yeah winter to summer fuel mix or even a lower ethanol percentage, like if you stumbled across a place selling ethanol free will net you noticeable gains V6's are very finicky when it comes to mileage, hell I saw a noticeable (.5-1 MPG) gain (compared to the mileages I have been getting for the last 6 months) just by switching back to a 195 thermostat in my DD V6 bird, and I'm absolutely **** when it comes to my mileage calculations, I use the same pump (it's the only ethanol free pump in town and even the only one at that station), typically the same time of day and fill it till it cuts off on its own (no topping off or rounding to the nearest dollar) and I reset the trip odometer each time so I can take actual miles driven and divide by gallons to refill to same "click point" of the pump.

also remember air pressure in the tires (something probably checked during the oil change) can also effect mileage.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One of my observations thus far is that except for one poster, no one has weighed in on the oil. I've got an oil change due in July, so I'll try and do a before and after test trying to keep other variables unchanged. My camaro is my DD and most of the time it's used for local travel, getting me about 15 mpg. Highway is much better, in the high 20's with the 6-speed.
I'm also going to check out Bob is the Oil Guy site 'cause I'm curious.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:29 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
also remember air pressure in the tires (something probably checked during the oil change) can also effect mileage.
Great one - another maintenance item at the time of an oil change that will really make an impact.

One of my observations thus far is that except for one poster, no one has weighed in on the oil. I've got an oil change due in July, so I'll try and do a before and after test trying to keep other variables unchanged. My camaro is my DD and most of the time it's used for local travel, getting me about 15 mpg. Highway is much better, in the high 20's with the 6-speed.
Bob is the better one to see. Oil threads around here tend to devolve pretty quickly in to a my oil-is-prettier-than-your-oil conversation, with good facts drowned out by regurgitated marketing messages.

Now that you've asked for it and I've read my crystal ball, let's watch the recommendations come in!
Old 06-13-2014, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

Bob is the better one to see. Oil threads around here tend to devolve pretty quickly in to a my oil-is-prettier-than-your-oil conversation, with good facts drowned out by regurgitated marketing messages.

Now that you've asked for it and I've read my crystal ball, let's watch the recommendations come in!
I really don't do a whole lot of research on oil, most of the numbers are like reading a foreign language to me, could use a good "oil types for dummies" type of thread.

me personally I've got a higher mileage car and grew up using valvoline and so when they came out with it, I switched to Max-life 10w-30 and then I got my hands on like 8 or so $5 off a 5 quart jug of valvoline so I stocked up on the max-life at a cost of under $13 a 5 quart jug and just keep it changed every 3k miles (I also do a new Purolator Pureone filter at each oil change, the reading I found puts them up there in the top 3 flow rates for oil filters) if for whatever reason I can't get my hands a the puralator I get a mobil1 extended guard filter.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:26 PM
12 Second Club

The better for what? Not mileage, right?

The oil with a higher VI, given that all else is the same or close in specs, will reach the valvetrain quicker, and will let the oil pump send/reach operating pressures into the bearings MUCH quicker than one with a lower VI, at ALL start up ambient and engine temps above ~0*F.

Below that ambient temp, the oil's MRV spec means much more, and the current champ in that regard is the Mobil 1 AFE and EP 0W-20.

This is discussed ad nauseam on bobistheoilguy.com
Old 06-13-2014, 06:33 PM
12 Second Club

It IS a decent 5W-30, but for the price, and low to non-existent availability (save for special ordering at NAPAs, or online) I would go with Mobil 1's 5W-30 EP, Pennzoil's GTL basestock Platinum, or Platinum Ultra, or even Amsoil's Signiture Series, IF you HAD TO stick with a 5W-30 (I do NOT) in a not road raced/open tracked LS1.

If you want to get exotic, the highest available VI 30 weight is RLI's group 5 ester based, albeit a 0W-30.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:43 PM
12 Second Club

bobistheoilguy.com has some great comparisons on these filters, but you'll want to check back regularly because manufacturers are constantly tweaking with the materials and construction while keeping the name brand the same.

Yes, and the latest general consensus is that the lower cost Wix/NAPA Gold is actually a much more efficient filter than the Wix XP/NAPA Platinum, and what to use for oil change intervals UNDER ~10K miles.

The Platinum/XP only pays to use for EXTENDED intervals OVER 10-12K miles, which is probably WHY it's efficiency is so low, so that it can have a much greater CAPACITY to hold more contaminants over a long mileage interval.

Quick Reply: Anytone try Eneos 5w-30 motor oil?