General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Problems

My drivers window will go up and down, but will not go all the way up. If I do manage to get it all the way up, it doesn't want to stay up. Closing the drivers door is amusing to watch. Passenger window will go down, but will not go back up.

We've decided to replace the window regulator and motor on both doors, does anyone have some tips or a step by step guide on how to do that? I'm assuming it's not terribly difficult.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:14 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by mad-hatter
We've decided to replace the window regulator and motor on both doors
1) DON'T do that. It's going to make your problem worse. On the driver's side, you probably have this problem:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-included.html

Please post pictures or videos of your problem, which will help us. You should take the door panel off ASAP to confirm what your status is. The more you use the window, the worse this problem will get.

Passenger window will go down, but will not go back up.
2) This is a classic thermal cutoff failure of the motor. (It could also be a switch problem - but a bad motor is most likely.

If it is your motor, you'll want to lookup the shbox replacement method and do that instead of removing the regulator. This will help you avoid the problem you already have on the driver's side. (Your driver's side regulator was probably removed in the past and not re-attached with the required rivets.)

3) A chorus of Autotrix fans will chime in her shortly telling you that you need that kit to "fix" your passenger side problem. You can pass on that - it's snake oil.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Out of town at the moment. I'll get some pictures and a video of the drivers window when I get back. I'll avoid the passenger window for now as it is a complete pain in the *** to get it back up.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:10 PM
Save the manuals!

it is a complete pain in the *** to get it back up.
Not using the window is the best thing. If you need to get it up in the meantime, you can open the door and tug up on the glass while you try to operate it. The extra "help" against gravity and lack of weatherstripping to rub up against may keep it from tripping out on you as much.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
Not using the window is the best thing. If you need to get it up in the meantime, you can open the door and tug up on the glass while you try to operate it. The extra "help" against gravity and lack of weatherstripping to rub up against may keep it from tripping out on you as much.
^yeah that.

I should have a video in a day or so.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

I finally got around to recording a video of the drivers window.

Thoughts on a fix for either door?
Old 02-03-2015, 08:07 AM
Save the manuals!

Looks like the problem in the link above. You need to take the door panel off to confirm and the fix is going to be a PITA. It looks like your regulator rivet holes are ripped pretty far.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Looks like the problem in the link above. You need to take the door panel off to confirm and the fix is going to be a PITA. It looks like your regulator rivet holes are ripped pretty far.
*sigh* No bueno.

What about the passenger side?
Old 02-03-2015, 12:47 PM
Save the manuals!

See item #2 in post #2.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

I've dug through a few threads now...really not looking forward to the drivers side window. Passenger's side doesn't seem too bad, but the drivers side...ugh.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Window problems are no fun

Food for thought... While you're in there, I would replace the window motors as well. They will go bad at some point, and are pretty cheap, so think about just replacing while you're already in there.

Check out the Dorman 742-101, that's the best one out there.

Last edited by meeklay812; 02-08-2015 at 08:06 PM. Reason: non-sponsor advertising
Old 02-03-2015, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

I'm going to let my buddies dad take care of it. In the process, I'm going to replace both motors especially seeing as how the passenger motor is bad as well as the switches on both doors. Should eliminate any possbility of future problems. Will also probably have him fab up metal plate for both doors to future proof it even more so there will be no chance of the rivet holes failing again. Should be fun...right? lol

So...just to be clear before I go buying parts... I need...

-Window regulator (and go ahead and replace the motor) and custom fix for drivers door
-Window motor for passengers door to fix thermal cut off

Money is tight at the moment so I just want to be sure of what I need...
Old 02-03-2015, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Unfortunately the power window motors are a weak point on our beloved F bodys.I learned a long time ago, spend the money on a good brand name motor(window). I went through three Ebay ones!!!. CRAPOLA $0.02
Old 02-03-2015, 08:55 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by 87gnx
Unfortunately the power window motors are a weak point on our beloved F bodys.
Well, the window motor part first showed up on GM cars in the 1960's, so its not so shocking. Fortunately the new motor design from Dorman helps bring the mechanism forward a couple of decades.

Originally Posted by meeklay812
I would replace the window motors as well. They will go bad at some point, and are pretty cheap, so think about just replacing while you're already in there.

Check <non-sponsor name removed> for the Dorman 742-101, thats the best one and I think its like <non-sponsor price removed>.
Great advice here regarding the updated Dorman design. Not so great move advertising a non-sponsor.

Will also probably have him fab up metal plate for both doors to future proof it even more so there will be no chance of the rivet holes failing again.
Be sure to have him cut holes in the plate so you can easily do the shbox motor replacement in the future, if you need to. (So you don't have to mess with the regulator again.)

So...just to be clear before I go buying parts... I need...

-Window regulator (and go ahead and replace the motor) and custom fix for drivers door
-Window motor for passengers door to fix thermal cut off

Money is tight at the moment so I just want to be sure of what I need...
No need to replace the regulator, especially if money is tight. Lube your old ones with a little Syl-Glyde and you should be good-as-new. The regulators are bomb proof and should be no worse for wear.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like a solid plan! Dormans motors are 36 bucks a piece through the local O'Reilly's and a set of new switches is about 40 bucks. My friends dad has been working on f-bodys since the early 3G's, so he probably has an understanding of my problem. I'll keep you guys posted with any further videos/pictures as well as if I get my issue fixed.

Big thanks.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, no wonder my drivers window is so slow.Its from the 1960's !!!. I didn't know that they made F bodies back then. SMH
Old 02-04-2015, 08:28 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by 87gnx
Wow, no wonder my drivers window is so slow.Its from the 1960's !!!. I didn't know that they made F bodies back then. SMH
Gotta love that corporate parts bin. Fortunately, I think the circulation of this part died with the F.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:30 AM
Save the manuals!

Sounds like a solid plan! Dormans motors are 36 bucks a piece through the local O'Reilly's and a set of new switches is about 40 bucks. My friends dad has been working on f-bodys since the early 3G's, so he probably has an understanding of my problem.
I'd still print out the plate thread AND the shbox motor install thread and take them to him.

If he's been doing it right all these years and following the factory install instructions, then he would have never seen this problem by his own hand and may not be familiar with the shbox motor install method.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

I'd still print out the plate thread AND the shbox motor install thread and take them to him.

If he's been doing it right all these years and following the factory install instructions, then he would have never seen this problem by his own hand and may not be familiar with the shbox motor install method.
'twas the plan.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great advice here regarding the updated Dorman design. Not so great move advertising a non-sponsor.
Sorry mods!

Quick Reply: Window Problems