General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

cooling fan issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling fan issue

Start out by saying hello, I am new to the board. I recently purchased a 04 cosmo purple gto. Within a week of having it, I notice it getting relatively warm. Turns out, the fans stopped turning on. So I started checking certain things, I changed the temp switch, didn't fix it. But does turn on when you unplug it. The fans come on if you turn the ac on. But they won't come on if the car gets to the middle and keep climbing. All the fuses are good. The fans work. Now I'm stumpped. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-13-2015, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmo04
Start out by saying hello, I am new to the board. I recently purchased a 04 cosmo purple gto. Within a week of having it, I notice it getting relatively warm. Turns out, the fans stopped turning on. So I started checking certain things, I changed the temp switch, didn't fix it. But does turn on when you unplug it. The fans come on if you turn the ac on. But they won't come on if the car gets to the middle and keep climbing. All the fuses are good. The fans work. Now I'm stumpped. Anyone have any ideas?
How high does the temp gauge actually get? Some GM vehicles let the temps get uncomfortably high before the fans come on, it's normal for them. But I'm not sure if the GTO is the same.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:33 PM
Teching In

It gets to the red.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cosmo04
It gets to the red.
That's more than relatively hot, lol.

Weird issue for sure. I'd try another temp sensor.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Haha yea,. I had a buddy of mine put it on the scanner and he can turn it on from there. But I thought about putting another temp switch on it. You never know.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Buddies LT1 Camaro has the same exact issue, let us know if a new temp sensor fixes the issue.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Default cooling fan issue

Originally Posted by Cpt.Derrek
My Buddies LT1 Camaro has the same exact issue, let us know if a new temp sensor fixes the issue.
The LT1 F-body's are different. Those have 2 sensors, 1 on the water pump for the PCM the other on the drivers side head for the dash Guage. The dash guage does not go to the PCM at all. Has he hooked up a data logger to confirm the dash gauge is accurate? What year is the car? If it's 1993-1995 there's a free data logger available that can manually actuate the fans, abs, idle, etc. You'll only need a laptop and the ALDL cable.

Also, for LT1 F-body there are two different ways the fans are wired from the factory. 1 with a 2 relay set up, another with a 3 relay set up.

Last edited by hrcslam; 09-14-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hrcslam
The LT1 F-body's are different. Those have 2 sensors, 1 on the water pump for the PCM the other on the drivers side head for the dash Guage. The dash guage does not go to the PCM at all. Have he hooked up a data logger to confirm the dash gauge is accurate? What year is the car? If it's 1993-1995 there's a free data logger available that can manually actuate the fans, ans, idle, etc. You'll only need a laptop and the ALDL cable.

Also, for LT1 F-body there are two different ways the fans are wired from the factory. 1 with a 2 relay set up, another with a 3 relay set up.
Oh awesome!! Thanks for the info! I'll look into that.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cpt.Derrek
Oh awesome!! Thanks for the info! I'll look into that.
Also, if he's a 94-95 car, he only needs the ALDL cable, Tuner Pro RT (free) with the correct definition files (free), Scan9495.exe (free, Google it), and WinFlash from TunerCat and he can tune everything on his car as many times as he wants. Should run less than $80. He'll also need a laptop of course, but who doesn't have one of those already.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

For LT1 guys you can also download TTS DataMaster on a laptop for 10 free trials to simply read live values from the engine.

As far as the OP, have someone hook up a scanner to it and read the engine temp values and compare it to the temp gauge. I'm not 100% at what temperature stock GTO fans are meant to kick on. Getting into the red and not coming on is an issue. Like you said, it seem like a triggering issue. Fans come on when the AC is called upon, but not when temps get high.

If I remember the temp sensor is on the driver side front of the head. You could also use a voltmeter to test these sensors if they are bad or not. It's a little confusing that the fans come on when you unplug the sensor...unless that is a safety measure programmed into the car if it get no reading from the temp sensor.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Could it be a relay?

Quick Reply: cooling fan issue