General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

is AMSOIL worth the price?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 07:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default is AMSOIL worth the price?

I've been using AMSOIL 0W-30 for a while now and am thinking of switching over to 20W-50 with a quart of Lucas. What are your opinions of AMSOIL and Lucas products? Overrated? Anything comparable for a lesser price?
Old 06-09-2005, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Skip the damn lucas products. They're not worth it.... It's a conflictiing issue but in my opinion Amsoil is a very good oil, then again so is Mobil 1

Matt
Old 06-09-2005, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I only use Mobile 1 5W-30, what about 0W-30?
Old 06-09-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

amsoil is one of the best oils availible. red line would be the only comprable oil honestly. mobil 1 is what i use and is good too, but is not as good as amsoil or red line. dont know about lucas honestly. royal purple is junk. castrol synthetic is too. do they even make a synthetic? basically amsoil, red line, and mobil 1 are the only synthetics you should run.

Last edited by Snow Dog; 06-09-2005 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Snow Dog
amsoil is one of the best oils availible. red line would be the only comprable oil honestly. mobil 1 is what i use and is good too, but is not as good as amsoil or red line. dont know about lucas honestly. royal purple is junk. castrol synthetic is too. do they even make a synthetic? basically amsoil, red line, and mobil 1 are the only synthetics you should run.
why do you consider Royal Purple "junk"?

why do you prefer amsoil, redline, or mobile 1?
Old 06-09-2005, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

The only castrol anyone recommends is the German Made (it says so on the bottle and it's green) Castrol Syntec. It's kinda hard to find. I personally will be running 0w-40 Mobil 1 shortly. If you want to read up on oils visit the oil forums. www.bobistheoilguy.com I mean besides the obvious reasons synthetic oil is better than conventional oil I assume you're in for longer drain intervals correct? Otherwise if you still plan to change your oil every 3,000 you'd be better off buying a name brand dino..

Matt
Old 06-10-2005, 01:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Amsoil is one of the best oils available... I use the Amsoil XL 5w30 in my car that sees extensive track time. I change my oil and filter every 6 months, once before race season, and once after... Amsoil is great for extended drain intervals.

I'm a dealer for Amsoil, so let me know if you have any questions... also, out of curiousity, what are you paying for the Amsoil 0w30? I can try to get you a better price since you're a fellow LS1TECH member...
Old 06-10-2005, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have questions!!!

How much is it for 5-6 quarts normally? I can't find any dealers around here. Do people usually go longer w/o oil changes with Amsoil?
Old 06-10-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by blind527
I have questions!!!

How much is it for 5-6 quarts normally? I can't find any dealers around here. Do people usually go longer w/o oil changes with Amsoil?
For fellow LS1TECH members, I can make sure to give a decent deal, just got to charge for shipping and sales tax in your region.

The XL formula is made for 7500 mile/6 month drain intervals... seems to work great for me, I use the 6 month drain interval. My car sees the drag strip at least twice a month during racing season here, with 6k+ clutch dumps and 6700 rpm shifts. The oil seems to be up to the grind I put it through.

If you're interested in ordering, just shoot me a PM with your shipping address and I can give you a full quote which will include the cost of shipping and the sales tax in your region (if applicable). If you order, it's usually about 3 business days for you to receive the product at your door from the date of your order.

Jason Stolberg
JRS Racing Supplies

Last edited by Tranzor_Z28; 06-16-2005 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Contra do you buy amsoil locally? I know of a amsoil dealer right on sprinkle IIRC>.

Matt
Old 06-10-2005, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

if you read the link for bob the oil guy youll find out why royal purple is junk. if not the quick break down is that not all synthetics are the same. you have top level synthetics which are amsoil, red line, mobil 1, and the german castrol. i had forgotten about the german catrol. mobil 1 is at the bottom of this top level. royal purple and all other synthetics are level 2 which is crap basically.

also just go find oil discussions on www.FRRAX.com or other road racing forums to find out what works and why. drag racing does not push the limits of the oiling system or the oil. road racing however does.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

also note FRAM oil filters are garbage too. Stay away from them. I highly recommend GMs own AC delco filters especially their ultraguard gold ones...
Matt
Old 06-11-2005, 05:55 PM
Launching!

This isnt redgtstang95. I worked in an oil shop like alot of people on here, amsoil is a rip off. My dad is a retiree from the shell oil plant after 30 years. He graduated from purdue with a chemical engineering degree, So i listen to him when he says mobil1 is the way to go. Just our 2 cents.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

but what proof does he offer for his reasoning. I remember the "GM guy" who was on the net not too long ago telling everyone syn oil was a waste of money, but for some odd reason is was funny how he specifically kept bashing Amsoil.

Matt
Old 06-11-2005, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

i tend to listen more to independent testing people who have no bias or loyalty towards any brand what so ever. if you read and listen to these people you will find that Amsoil always tests at the top and a great deal of them do not like mobil 1. i personally do not have a problem with mobil 1, but i also do not push my car so hard that i need to worry about using mobil 1.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Redgtstang95
This isnt redgtstang95. I worked in an oil shop like alot of people on here, amsoil is a rip off. My dad is a retiree from the shell oil plant after 30 years. He graduated from purdue with a chemical engineering degree, So i listen to him when he says mobil1 is the way to go. Just our 2 cents.
Every single independent oil analysis I've seen supports the fact that premium synthetic oils like Amsoil are well worth the money. Mobil 1 is a great oil as well, but it is beaten in just about every measurable category by Amsoil in comparable oil analysis tests.

Considering Amsoil isn't even the most expensive of the premium synthetics, I'd like to see your evidence that Amsoil is a rip off. If you like, I can find some great oil analysis examples on a neutral site like www.bobistheoilguy.com to support the fact that Amsoil (and other premium synthetics like it) are well worth the money when it comes to keeping wear down, longer drain intervals, etc.

Not trying to flame, just curious as to what the basis of your dad's broad sweeping claim is.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:29 PM
12 Second Club

Only Amsoil product I have is Amsoil sythetic transmission fluid I am running in the T-56 of my Z28.

I have heard the engine oil is outstanding and not too bad for the price.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:33 AM
On The Tree

this is the guy posting on redgtstang95. Again that was my 2 cents. Maybe my dad does have a bias, but then again it is hard to find someone without one.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

your right it is hard to find someone without bias, but bob the oil guys webpage is not bias. like i said they have no loyalties to anyone. your product better perform or youll hear about it on that and other websites.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by buffman
Contra do you buy amsoil locally? I know of a amsoil dealer right on sprinkle IIRC>.

Matt
Yeah I buy the oil and AMSoil filter at the Millwood Auto Value, right across from the airport on Portage Rd. Sorry for this local interlude, fellow LS1tech members.

Yeah I've tried to do some research in varying oils and have found AMSOIL to exceed the closest competitor, Mobil 1, in every test. Interesting fact: apparently all AMSOIL formulas must improve fuel economy, or they're rejected. Well yeah I did read that in one of their catalogs, but it doesn't seem like something they'd lie about.

Last edited by contraststriker; 06-13-2005 at 05:50 AM.

Quick Reply: is AMSOIL worth the price?