General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

missed shift=hissing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default missed shift=hissing?

i was flogging the car tonite and did a wot 2-1 shift, ouch. car idled fine, no ticks, knocks or taps coming from the engine, but i did notice a light hissing sound on the drive home. I popped the hood and there was a pretty nice hiss coming from somewhere around the back of the intake. Is it possible for a misshift to pop a line off, or is this a complete coincidence. I'll find it and fix it, but i've never heard of anything like this happening. Any suggestions?
Old 06-03-2006, 07:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was going to say maybe the intake hose/bellows came loose but you said the back of the manifold. There is a vacuum port on the back though, maybe its a bad connection.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rubber duck
i was flogging the car tonite and did a wot 2-1 shift, ouch. car idled fine, no ticks, knocks or taps coming from the engine, but i did notice a light hissing sound on the drive home. I popped the hood and there was a pretty nice hiss coming from somewhere around the back of the intake. Is it possible for a misshift to pop a line off, or is this a complete coincidence. I'll find it and fix it, but i've never heard of anything like this happening. Any suggestions?
What RPM were you are when you mis-shifted back to 1st gear?? If you were at the redline in 2nd, its almost a definite that something is damaged in the engine. Pushrod engines just can't take those kind of high RPM's.

The hissing noise you are hearing is probably a vacuum line that blew off from the mis-shift. See if you can locate where the hissing is coming from exactly, and it should point you straight to the detatched line
Old 06-03-2006, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Domestic Demon
What RPM were you are when you mis-shifted back to 1st gear?? If you were at the redline in 2nd, its almost a definite that something is damaged in the engine. Pushrod engines just can't take those kind of high RPM's.

The hissing noise you are hearing is probably a vacuum line that blew off from the mis-shift. See if you can locate where the hissing is coming from exactly, and it should point you straight to the detatched line
i figured it was probably a vacuum line but i've never heard of a vacuum line blowing off from a missed shift. I wasn't at redline in 2nd, it was only in 1st for a split second before I realized the oops. Like i said before, no noises and it ran fine, I'm not sure if I'll get something down the road but I'll cross that bridge when i come to it.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:05 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Get a short throw shifter before you try this again
Old 06-03-2006, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
Get a short throw shifter before you try this again
I have a short stick on the stock Hurst, but i guess there's always an excuse to upgrade.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:57 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

probably blew off a vacuum line. the sound should lead you right to it.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rubber duck
Do you think you have bent pushrods? I did the same thing but the car felt perfectly fine after. If bent pushrods are the case, how much power is missing?
Old 06-06-2006, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98camaroLS1M6
Do you think you have bent pushrods? I did the same thing but the car felt perfectly fine after. If bent pushrods are the case, how much power is missing?

if your pushrod was bent, you would be hearing all kinds of ticking and stuff
Old 06-07-2006, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by victimizati0n
if your pushrod was bent, you would be hearing all kinds of ticking and stuff
Really? Is it possible to have bend pushrods and not hear any unusual noises?