General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Turn signal/Marker light issues = UGH!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal/Marker light issues = UGH!!!!!

00' T/A...My Marker/Turn signal bulbs keep blowing out when it rains. I realize it when the turn signal stays solid. I pull the bulb and its exploded and wet. The sockets are corroded some but when I put the replacement bulb in it works with no problems until it rains heavily again.

Here is what I have done so far....

1.) Bought a set of new housing and drilled holes in them to drain the water out.

2.) Duct taped the black plastic boxes that house the lights and horn under the front of the car to try and keep water out.

3.) When the duct tape thing didnt work I put a small hole in the black plastic boxes to drain the water.

4.) used beads of white RTV sealant around the housing to seal it up tight.

notes: There doesn't appear to be any cracks in the housing's at all.

I was driving in this shitty rain we get everyday and what happens. The left bulb is dead...AGAIN.

Please give me some insight.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2006, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

it seems like a lot of us are having this problem lately
Old 06-08-2006, 08:57 PM
Launching!

+1

I can't tell you how many times I try and count all the camaros with burnt out driver's side turn signals after a steady rain.

It's so bad on mine I have to solder in a new socket. I'm not going to bother trying to fix the stockers, I'm just going to get the black clear corners, so let's see how those turn out.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

ever think the water might be coming in at the holes you drilled.i had the same problem as you bought new lens housings and didnt drill anything in them no problem and its been a month now .its been raining most of it as well

Originally Posted by lomaximumta
00' T/A...My Marker/Turn signal bulbs keep blowing out when it rains. I realize it when the turn signal stays solid. I pull the bulb and its exploded and wet. The sockets are corroded some but when I put the replacement bulb in it works with no problems until it rains heavily again.

Here is what I have done so far....

1.) Bought a set of new housing and drilled holes in them to drain the water out.

2.) Duct taped the black plastic boxes that house the lights and horn under the front of the car to try and keep water out.

3.) When the duct tape thing didnt work I put a small hole in the black plastic boxes to drain the water.

4.) used beads of white RTV sealant around the housing to seal it up tight.

notes: There doesn't appear to be any cracks in the housing's at all.

I was driving in this shitty rain we get everyday and what happens. The left bulb is dead...AGAIN.

Please give me some insight.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

it did it before and after. No cracking on the old housings.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:38 PM
Staging Lane

all im saying is the new housing has a air vent for the heat to escape but yet its protected so that water cant enter ,so by drilling a hole in it you are allowing water to enter thus the blown bulbs.trust me i had a good relationship with pepboys replacing the bulbs everytime it rained and at 5 bucks a pack it added up fast so i figured i change out the housing to see if that was the case and when i took the old ones out their was a crack on the lens that i couldnt even see from when it was on..gm shuould have design a better setup ..
Old 06-09-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would seal up the holes and make that bitch air tight. if you socket is corroded replace that as well. in my camaro, after 20 bulbs, 2 sockets, and a housing, i put something else on (cant remember what) over the existing seal and locked the socket in and then reinstalled everything. never had the problem again.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cld069
I would seal up the holes and make that bitch air tight. if you socket is corroded replace that as well. in my camaro, after 20 bulbs, 2 sockets, and a housing, i put something else on (cant remember what) over the existing seal and locked the socket in and then reinstalled everything. never had the problem again.
I think you get the problem of condensation forming then. My buddy kept sealing his turnsignals and the condensation problem only got worse.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea thats true, i was just suggesting what worked for me, but i guess it doesnt work for all.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:40 PM
Launching!

Shitty design.

I bought new lenses for mine and coated all the seams with clear silicone.

No bulb problems for almost a year.

Brad
Old 06-16-2006, 03:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my drivers side is cracked and the connector socket was corroded, I replaced the socket with a new one, sealed the lense crack with silicone, and the most important thing is goop up the socket with dielectric grease. I was blowing them out constantly. and now I haven't had a problem since!

Dielectric grease fellas
Old 06-18-2006, 12:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the dialectric grease is important. i fixed this girls, it was all corroded. its a viscious cycle. as it (the contion) rusts it builds up resistance. the higher the resistance the hotter it gets. the hotter it gets , the more it rusts. and so on and so on. you end up having to replace the sockit, and load that puppy witth dialectric.