General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How To Seafoam Your Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just sprayed some of the seafoam deep creep into my throttle body/intake manifold. Let it idle a bit and gave it some tiny revs and then took it for a drive. Possibly just a placebo effect since I was hoping to be able to tell a difference but I noticed significantly improved throttle response. I hit the gas and it reacts and takes off quicker than before I sprayed it in there. Put a can into my gas tank as well. A couple weeks ago put a bottle of motor honey into my crank case which seems to have stopped my car from consuming a quart of oil a month... So I didn't try putting any seafoam in there but I'll probably try it in the future. We'll see if my mpg improves this tank with the seafoam in the fuel system. Overall I'm very satisfied so far. Still gota try spraying it into the PCV inlet for the top end.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:57 PM
Teching In

I put half a can in the crankcase, other half in the brake booster line, let it sit for 20 mins, then started it and it only had a tiny blue cloud of smoke when i first started it up. After that didn't smoke at all. Car only has 55k on it, guess the engine just wasn't that dirty at all? Or does the deep creep the culprit that causes it to "smoke" i didn't have any on hand, so didn't spray anything in the throttle body.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:09 PM
Teching In

I had good results from this product. Although after putting it in the oil I was a bit shocked to see yellowish orange deposits on the inside of the cap and top of the filler neck. Before I heard about deep creep I used Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner but didn't get much smoke out of the girl, despite being up well over 100k. Better mileage and throttle response for a nominal investment of time and money. This thread was very helpful.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:20 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

hahahaha...this friggin thread......still showing people how to destroy their engine with SeaFoam into the top end.....

Smoke show....smoke show.....LOL

Funny ****.....

****I guess after someone posts in this thread that they hydralocked their LS1.....then this thread will be removed from the forum. Reactive instead of proactive.......gotta love it.....****

Old 04-15-2015, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

^^^ haha. apparently this country doesn't do a good enough job of teaching science, especially chemistry and physics.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
^^^ haha. apparently this country doesn't do a good enough job of teaching science, especially chemistry and physics.
Yup.....or countless posts in this thread explaining why a heavy liquid cannot do what a LOT of people think its going to do. Also, they are just not understanding that the "smoke show"...LOL....is simply from pooling liquid sitting in the bottom of the damn intake.

Hope it doesn't happen.......but I'm just waiting for a hydralock............

Old 04-16-2015, 02:11 PM
Staging Lane

Before I knew any better, I did the "seafoam mod" after reading all these wonderful testimonies. My SES light came on within 10 minutes of driving it, and pulled up a sh!tload of codes.

But hey, at least I'm making 50+ HP and getting double the MPG now, so I guess the Seafoam mod was worth it
Old 07-18-2015, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the OPs **** is so wrong, why are we letting it stay up?
Old 07-21-2015, 02:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Guitar
If the OPs **** is so wrong, why are we letting it stay up?
Its not wrong per say......you can partially clean the back two runners and a tiny tiny bit of the pistons.....

So I guess crap information and a crap procedure is allowed to stay.....

Old 07-22-2015, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ordered the MCCC stuff and am gonna do that this weekend.
I did the OPs steps before reading just because I felt like it anyways. Only ran about 30 miles on the oil and the top end didn't smoke all too much, but I just googled seafoaming and it was the first link that came up.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by LS6427
FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME.......STOP USING Sea Foam for the top end. Its dangerous. Its a friggin liquid. You could bend a rod or worse if you get too much LIQUID pooled in any one cylinder.

For about the same price, go to any Dodge/Chrysler dealership and get a REAL foam product that works 100 times better than Sea Foam ever can.

Jeezzzzz.

Don't have to mess with that pain in the *** brake booster line and risk cracking the port, they get old and dry-rotted over time. Plus, NEWS FLASH, the brake booster line doesn't get Sea Foam into every cylinder, only the back 3-4 cylinders. Proof fothat is: When you dump the remianing amont in to stall the engine, sometimes it doesn't stall it. Most of the time it sputters and kicks to stay on. WHY....becauzse its just flooding the back 3-4 cylinders and the others are still firing to keep the engine going. If ALL 8 cylinders were getting liquid in them, it would stall instantly the first time, every time. The MOPAR stuff, which is actually a FOAM, designed for top end cleaning, floods every cylinder and expands while its sitting in there. It contains alot of air in the foam so there's no chance of hydralocking any one cylinder. It will compress when you start it.

Use that clear hose. Keep it attached to the port on the intake, remove the end from the PCV valve and spray the entire can in there while you're engine is idling. That hose will suck every drop while you're spraying it in. Then have a friend turn the engine off the second you feel/see the can run out. The foam expands while its sitting in there and cleans every inch. Let it sit for 30 minutes and then go start it up, let it idle for about 3-5 minutes, then go drive it.

Below is how simple it is to spray the foam Mopar stuff in:

I have a 1990 3.1L with 89,000 miles. can I use this somehow to not only clean top of engine, but also clean the injectors? Can I spray this into the air intake? In other words what do you recommend to do or use to clean the injectors, besides inserting something with special equipment into the fuel rails or such? Any recommendations form anyone would be appreciated, have terrible random engine miss, etc.... allen at tennesseeland dot com
Old 07-20-2016, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

To clean the injectors, get a can of pressurized injector cleaner, you connect it to the fuel rail and run the engine on it (with fuel pump disabled).
Old 07-20-2016, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by joecar
To clean the injectors, get a can of pressurized injector cleaner, you connect it to the fuel rail and run the engine on it (with fuel pump disabled).
OK? Never saw pressurized injector cleaner. Where is a good place to get that? How does it connect to fuel rail? THANKS!
Old 07-21-2016, 01:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GAT57
OK? Never saw pressurized injector cleaner. Where is a good place to get that? How does it connect to fuel rail? THANKS!
The way I have kept my same injectors clean since I installed them on my 427ci in 2002 (14 years ago)....and now they are running perfectly on my new 390ci engine.....

I pour a full can of Sea Foam liquid into an 1/8 tank of gas and run it almost dry before I fill up the tank. I do this every 3-4 months. Never had an issue with dirty injectors.

Top End cleaners cannot reach the injectors.....the only way to the injectors is through the fuel system.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Default question.

I'm planning on changing my oil in approximately one month.
Would it be ideal to pour a bottle of seafoam into my crankcase with it's current oil? Or does it have to be new oil for it to make great use.

The only reason why I'm tentative to pour now is cause I don't plan on running current oil more than 250 miles.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by z28boycali
I'm planning on changing my oil in approximately one month.
Would it be ideal to pour a bottle of seafoam into my crankcase with it's current oil? Or does it have to be new oil for it to make great use.

The only reason why I'm tentative to pour now is cause I don't plan on running current oil more than 250 miles.
Just pour it into the old oil after the engine is warmed up.....idle ONLY for 5 minutes. You can't drive the car with SeaFoam in the crankcase, its terrible for the bearings.

Do it on the day you change your oil.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Default how long before starting car???

I'll be cleaning my oil. I understand instructions on the amount of seafoam to use, I also understand to pour slowly or a little at a time.

My question is:

After pouring seafoam into my crankcase while the car is cold. How long do I wait till I can start car?
Old 03-30-2017, 01:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by z28boycali
I'll be cleaning my oil. I understand instructions on the amount of seafoam to use, I also understand to pour slowly or a little at a time.

My question is:

After pouring seafoam into my crankcase while the car is cold. How long do I wait till I can start car?
No....drive the car or let it idle for 10-15 minutes to warm it up. Hotter the better, so a drive to get it all the way up to 200*F, or wherever your engine gets to...185-195...whatever.

Then AFTER its hot, park it in the driveway, keep it running, pour the entire can all at once into the oil fill cap, no need to pour it in slowly, then wait 5 minutes at idle. Thats it.

Drain it. Then add 4 qrts of cheap oil and run it for 5 minutes. Then drain it again. Then change the filter and add the good new oil.

-----Oh, I'm very picky.......I personally put my front end up on ramps to change my oil. I do it with my front end at the bottom of the driveway so when my front end is up on ramps the car is almost horizontal......so oil does not get stuck in the back area of the oil pan from the car being on an incline. And you can get a good half qrt that can stay in there if the front of the car is pointing upward on a driveway that is inclined a lot, and Seafoam will be left behind.
Thats why the oil change places keep the car level when they drain them....it gets more oil out.
BUT.....Then I use my floor jack to slightly jack up the passengers side so the oil will drain better and more completely from the oil pan drain port on the drivers side of the oil pan

----Also, I actually like to use GUNK Engine Flush better. Its a bigger metal can, more chemical, looks like a miniature 50 gallon drum. You have to pop holes in the top with a screwdriver. At least the cans they sell in South Florida are like that. They are twice the amount of chemical than a can of Seafoam. But SeaFoam does well too.

Last edited by LS6427; 03-30-2017 at 01:42 AM.

Quick Reply: How To Seafoam Your Car