General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How To Seafoam Your Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 04:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just seafoamed using the pcv port and the brake booster. Didnt go WOT for about two days. On the way home I put her to the floor while my boss was behind me tonight and a giant load of smoke came out... slowed down and did it again.. all clean ..

" Smells like cancer" is the text i received from him
Old 02-25-2009, 09:02 AM
TECH Regular

What he says MAY have some merit to it, but consider this. You have an '02 with 221k on it, which equates to about 32k miles per year. It is LIKELY that your car saw a lot of highway driving, probably high speed runs as well. On a motor used in that fashion, it won't have nearly the amount of carbon buildup compared to a motor exposed to stop/go or city driving (like a cab). You could always run a can of seafoam (or other cleaner) thru the fuel system to start off.

Originally Posted by FirebirdWS86
Okay, so my 2002 Camaro SS SLP Edition has 221,XXX miles on it right now. It's so high because it used to be a Police Interceptor. Guy got shot, had to quit and ended up selling me the car. Anyways, it's never seen SeaFoam before and I've been wanting to do this really bad.

I talked it over with one of my really good buddies. He's a huge Dodge/Mopar fan and he's built plenty of engines. From ground up builds to straight up 500+HP dumdumdumdumdum Neons. He himself owns one of the fastest here in Houston. This guy, definitely knows his stuff.

Anyways, I asked him if I should do it and he simply said no. For one, attempting to Sea Foam this high mileage (never seen SF car) will end up scarring valves. It was something like that. He says that this engine probably has so much carbon build up in it that those particles that would end up falling off would damage the engine and the cats too. Another reason was, after the SF, I would end up losing compression. He says that the carbon build is what's keeping this engine running good as it is. A bit of a rough idle or what not, but it's really quick and has a lot of horse power still.

I'm not trying to like prove him wrong here, I just want to hear two sides of it before I go mess something up. I mean, what results you guys pull off sound so good that I want to do it, but the stuff he tells me scares me enough not to do it.

So yeah, can anyone help clear this up? Should I or should I not do it?
Old 02-25-2009, 04:55 PM

I've been using Lucas for the last 2 fill ups. I'm debating if I should do it again today or not. God damn guys, this one literally gulps gas and I'm sittin' there BABYING it in this crappy Houston traffic. So... I dunno... :[
Old 02-26-2009, 07:52 AM
something else

subscribing
Old 02-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy cow over 100,000 views!!! Taco never knew he would get so famous..LOL
Old 02-26-2009, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Awesome write-up, i damaged the ozone layer some yesterday. Im getting a bit more oil pressure, but it could just be the GC. I was hoping Seafoam would solve my tick, but oh well, ill settle for improved response and probably mileage. 64k
Old 02-28-2009, 06:26 PM

So yeah, anyone else like really sure about this? I'd love to do this, but am afraid because of what my buddy has told me. I have a can of SeaFoam just waiting to be used.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Teching In

awesome i havent done this.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by FirebirdWS86
So yeah, anyone else like really sure about this? I'd love to do this, but am afraid because of what my buddy has told me. I have a can of SeaFoam just waiting to be used.
after 48 pages how much handholding do you need, lol j/k, bout to go pour some in my 94 with a supposedly rebuilt motor, we'll see how new this motor is

Last edited by evilbeef54; 03-01-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

Im going to do this to my 203K mile firebird and get all of you a video
Old 03-06-2009, 06:58 PM

I have a vehicle that I Seafoamed. I let it sit for about an hour and then blew it out. There was a plume of smoke but I seem to have a problem. When I sit parked somwhere or when I am driving it seems like my gas mileage has gone down bad. I used a quarter tank and I have only gone 18 miles. Anyone know how this one happened or what is going on?
Old 03-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by coker98
I have a vehicle that I Seafoamed. I let it sit for about an hour and then blew it out. There was a plume of smoke but I seem to have a problem. When I sit parked somwhere or when I am driving it seems like my gas mileage has gone down bad. I used a quarter tank and I have only gone 18 miles. Anyone know how this one happened or what is going on?
You could have done some damage to the 02 sensor(s) doing the Sea Foam, its rare, but it can damage them. Get a scan to see if they're working properly. OBDII scanner the dealerships have so you can actually see the sensors switching while the car is running. I got no codes when my 02 sensors were dumping fuel big time and making me run very rich, my gas mileage for those few days was horrible, I thought I had a hole in my gas tank.

Changed my 02's 2 weeks ago, all better. And they started doing that right after I Sea Foamed and Mopar'ed my top end. No SES light ever.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rhedalert
What he says MAY have some merit to it, but consider this. You have an '02 with 221k on it, which equates to about 32k miles per year. It is LIKELY that your car saw a lot of highway driving, probably high speed runs as well. On a motor used in that fashion, it won't have nearly the amount of carbon buildup compared to a motor exposed to stop/go or city driving (like a cab). You could always run a can of seafoam (or other cleaner) thru the fuel system to start off.

I have used sea foam for almost ten years since i started driving. I have never done the sucking of sea foam into the intake yet. But used it alot in the gas tank and engine oil. I have never had a problem.

As for your high milage car your friend is correct. Carbon deposits are very hard. If your scared of doing the full service. Atleast use it in your gas tank. That will help clean your injectors and some of the carbon in your cylinder heads. Do this several times. That way you have emlimanted alot of the basic carbon in your motor. Also do the oil change. And if it was a ex cop car im sure it was ran hard. I would sujest letting it soak over night. or do this a couple times with small amount each time so you dont tax your cat all at once.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

when i removed my brake booster vacuum hose my engine just died and didn't idle at 2,000+ rpm like it was supposed to.? I let the car warm up for 10 minutes and unless i keep my foot on the gas it will just die. I can't figure it out. I don't know much about the car i just bought it this week. It is a '95 formula LT1 and has 106,xxx miles and i thought i would do the whole seafoam procedure before i changed the oil.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bore.me
when i removed my brake booster vacuum hose my engine just died and didn't idle at 2,000+ rpm like it was supposed to.? I let the car warm up for 10 minutes and unless i keep my foot on the gas it will just die. I can't figure it out. I don't know much about the car i just bought it this week. It is a '95 formula LT1 and has 106,xxx miles and i thought i would do the whole seafoam procedure before i changed the oil.
Put a small vice grip on the hose, or just have a friend hold onto it with a pair of plyers to crush it, then take it off. THEN, have a friend slowly release it as you pour the Sea Foam into the line.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS6427
Put a small vice grip on the hose, or just have a friend hold onto it with a pair of plyers to crush it, then take it off. THEN, have a friend slowly release it as you pour the Sea Foam into the line.
Ok thanks i'll try that. Would anyone suggest just having a friend hold down the gas to make sure the engine doesn't die while i pour seafoam down the hose? I'll have the hose clamped with vicegrips too.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:51 PM
12 Second Club

I did this today and it worked great, car runs so much better is alot smoother and much better throttle response
Old 03-21-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

I Seafoamed my car again for the second time in a year plus deep creep. I did something new this time. I sprayed a good amount of deep creep in the manifold PCV port. For Seafoam it says to use only 1/3 but I used half and put the rest in the gas. Easiest way to do it is have one person start the car while you hold your thumb over the brake boster hose, fill a spray paint cap 2 times and suck it up.

I did this twice because I am changing my plugs and O2s this weekend and I dont plan on seafoaming again. There was just about the same amount of smoke as the first time I did it.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:54 PM
12 Second Club

in the process of doing this right now, in the 15 min idle after adding SF through the booster line stage. Quite a bit of smoke for an engine that was supposedly rebuilt 15k ago, we'll see what happens when i open 'er up on the road. very easy to do so far, i used 2 keg cups to split the last can into 2 equal parts

***edit

well i just did the WOT runs, although it smoked quite a bit at idle there was only one little puff at WOT then it was clean as could be, i dunno, although the initial SOTP testing feels like it spools up a little quicker, i dunno, all i know is that its cleaner than it was and was cheap

Last edited by evilbeef54; 03-26-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:43 PM
Launching!

yeah, just got back from the drive after letting it soak. did the fuel injectors this morning when i got gas, had about a half tank and poured it in with a gas can mixed with some 93, filled up the other 8 gallons. rode around sloshed it around and just gonna run that tank another 200 miles then refill and the injectors will be clean. i just did the top end stuff. used the brake booster, didn't even need the pliers (bought some locking pliers since i didn't have a set anyway and a funnel with an extension.) just kind of pushed the clip on the brake booster in and slid it, used the screwdriver to help it off then just used my fingers. started the car, it idled at around 500-900ish without the vacuum hose on it. i just took a 16 oz cup and filled it halfway, stuffed the funnel in the hose and poured slowly 1/3rd, then another 1/3rd, stopping when it sputtered. poured the rest down quickly and it stalled. i then took the air cleaner off and the elbow off the tb (goddam that donky dong is annoying! buying a 1le elbow as soon as i get paid!) and sprayed like 1/4 a can up down and around in the blades while my buddy mike helped me by opening them. got it really good, put some on the front where an airfoil would go, etc. etc. waited about 30 minutes, went out and went to start it. while i was cranking it, the rpms went up like 200-300 each time, eventually it started after like 5 seconds. went straight up to about 1500 rpms, then settled down around 950 (m6.) let it idle for 10-15 minutes, lots of blue smoke out the exhaust at first. blipped the throttle up in neutral to about 1200-2000ish a few times (every five minutes.) just for a second each time. After about 15 minutes it cleared up, was smoking just a little bit barely noticeable (like on a cold day when you first start the car.) went for a drive, dogged the **** out of it..actually got it to go up to 5500-6000ish (the solid redline) for the first time i ever remember... it smoked a LITTLE LITTLE bit at first when i left the house, but not at all while ******* the hell out of it. drove maybe 10 or 15 miles, 50-60 percent of the time in 2nd or 3rd at 3000 to 4500ish, hehe. seems like it runs a little cleaner and faster. glad that it didn't smoke a lot, great knowing that someone may have kind of taken care of the car, except for not changing the passenger side spark plugs for 90k miles lol.

Quick Reply: How To Seafoam Your Car