General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

loud ping when A4 LS1 goes into gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Q for you LS1 guys...

Friends at work just bought an automatic TA LS1 Conv. 99 or 00 I think. They are experiencing a loud ping when it goes into gear. Sounds alot to me like a u-joint maybe?? The driveshaft really amplifies the ping. Didnt they change to a dampened driveshaft a certain year? They have heard everything from tranny to shiftkit. I say its a driveshaft problem. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you sure its not the shifter itself
Old 07-14-2006, 12:53 AM
TECH Addict

Oh yea...I mean if you are standing next to the car you hear a pronounced short ping when it goes in gear from underneath... hard to pinpoint it but it definately is resonating through the driveshaft...it just sounds like u were to tap the shaft almost but it wont ring out. just a quick clank.. But as far as I can tell, there isnt too much play or slack in the joints etc. But it sounds like crap when it goes into gear.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

mmk cuz i was gonna say some manual shifter will make some amount of sound but if tis a ping somethings hitting. hmmm thats an odd one there. how about the heat sheilds and such, are they hanging down or anything
Old 07-14-2006, 01:04 AM
TECH Addict

Its an auto car, and no nothing is touching the shaft. Its almost an internal ping. Thats what makes it so hard to figure out. Any thoughts on the shaft not being a newer style dampened shaft? Maybe thats why they went to a dampened shaft??
Old 07-14-2006, 01:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

umm some cars have the aluminum DS other have steel but they switched over due to vibration occuring at 99mph
Old 07-14-2006, 01:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sadly, I'm fairly certain that sound is "normal". My '01 Z28 does it constantly too, mainly when putting the car into reverse, or shifting from reverse to drive. Only a minority of LS1's do it because it's only an issue with the aluminum driveshaft, which came with the 3.23 option on automatic cars. I *think* all T/A's have that standard, but it's not as common on Z's although I do have it. I'd bet dollars to donuts if you look on the option sticker in the door he has GU5. It's just the aluminum driveshaft engaging. I wondered that too when I first got my car and had a surprisingly difficult time finding info on it, but that was the consensus and I've had no real issue with other than a pretty ghetto sound. I guess some people successfully got it "fixed" under warranty with a new driveshaft with slightly better sound deadening, but I suspect the typical fix was replacing it with the stock steel one so I just deal with it. The plus side is at least you have the 3.23.....
Old 07-14-2006, 03:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check the rearend. The sound you are describing I have heard alot and alot of those times it's the pinion gear hitting the ring gear do to an excessive amount of slack between the two. You can check by putting the axle on jackstands and the tranny in neutral then turning the driveshaft until the wheels start moving. Then turn it back the other way. If this is the problem you will hear the pinion gear hit the ring gear and if you turn it hard enough you should hear a similar sound just not as loud.

This is just a suggestion like many others will offer you. But it's better to check things before your friend spends money on parts he doesn't need.