General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Any suggestions on changing LT1 plugs/wires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 07:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any suggestions on changing LT1 plugs/wires?

I looked in the engine compartment of the '93 Z28 i just got and at first it looked easy, that was the driver's side. Then i looked at the wires for the driver's side and it looked a lot harder. Then I looked at the plugs on the passenger side, and the back couple look pretty hard. Then I looked at the wires on the passenger side, and those look impossible. Do I need to take stuff off of the car to do this swap or is there some way I'm not seeing to do this stuff?

Thanks
Old 04-13-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I took off my alenator, and jacked up the car pretty high b/c u have to diconect the wires from the OS(optispark) I used dielectric grease for the boots, a boot puller, and antisieze, i would go with MSD 8.5 mm wires they run anywhere from 75-90 dollars then i got NGK iridium plugs which are 7 bucks a piece, the two items i listed above are real nice, I would recommed doing OS, and etc later on, how many miles on your car BTW. Hopefully this help Devin
Old 04-13-2007, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Everything from underneath (obviously), just be ready for a little frustration and scraped forearms. A little persistance and you'll be cool. When my opti crapped out at 95K I just went ape **** and replaced everything, new MSD dist., wires, and coil I figured what the hell its all apart now no sense in not doing it all. And I figured wtf its almost got 100K miles and it has some issues so I might as well do the rest.....soooo I put in all new power steering lines and pump, all new a/c system (minus condensor) a new radiator, coolant hoses, and water pump. I spent more money then, but couldn't be happier with the results. My car was running on like 5 cylinders, a/c clutch was shot, and the pwr steering came and went as it pleased; but I'll tell you with all that junk out of the way in the trash the plugs were CAKE to get to haha
Hopefully you're not in that situation and only have to put up with a tight fit, good luck!
Old 04-13-2007, 10:42 PM
Teching In

btw I forgot to mention, I don't remember which # plugs they were exactly, but there were a few I was having a hard time getting my hand to and seeing at the same time, so I had someone spot the little bastard from above and guide me "up,down,left...the other left" that helped me out alot
Old 04-13-2007, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

could that be number 6 and 8 on the passanger side?
Old 04-14-2007, 12:43 AM
12 Second Club

Probably was. The car has 135k miles on it. I can't tell if the plugs or wires have been changed because I haven't gotten them off yet, but I did notice something strage with the wires. One wire on each side is the same kind that came on my LS1, and came in our Silverado and Suburban (so I'm guessing stock GM wires). Does that mean that some of the wires have been replaced but not all of them?

I got NGK TR55 V-power plugs for it and I can't remember the wires off the top of my head. They were the only ones that Advance Auto Parts had in stock right then. They were like $50. Maybe AC Delco. I'm not sure.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:58 AM
TECH Resident

I have heard so many horror stories on this. I no when i pulled my motor i just left all that stuff on cause i just couldn't get to all that stuff. now i Have Long Tube Headers so it is a breeze to do. Probably the best mode i have ever done
Old 04-14-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

the same kind like in brand then yes ACDelco, You should have a fun time doing this it just takes some time the first time around, heck i was 17 when i did opti, and everything like that and it was hard for a while then it got real easy, but take your time and you should be fine! good luck!