General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

power steering problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering problems

hey guys to make a long story short this little coward comes to my house and shoots the breeze for about 30 min. about cars. Then when he gets ready to leave we shake hands and i turn my head and he sucker punches me. I start to chase him and he jumps in in his friends camaro which by the way he started up before the punch i guess to make sure it would start...lol. Hes screaming to his friend go Randy go as i kick and punch the car car cause he had the window up. I jump in my car and i'm so mad i pay no attention to what i'm doin and leave traction control on tach to about 4 or 5 grande dump the clutche and bog out. Then i turn traction control off take back off and experience some terrible wheel hop...then i get took off and tach it out in first get to the end of my drive and my wheels will barely turn no matter how much muscle u put in it. I checked my belt and its still on and power steering pump is full of fluid but the check engine light is also on. Any ideas what coulda happened.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Regular

Hmmm...

when the car is running do you hear a whining noise?.. probably not since you said the reservoir is full. So does it feel like you are using non-power steering hard?

Hmm I'm lost on this one, your check engine light is on?.. not service vehicle light right?

Now that I have been no help, how about some more information about this whole incident?
Old 04-27-2007, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tell the rest of the story. Why would some ****** mutt sucker punch you while the two of you are just shootin the **** about cars and such?

Sounds like your ps pump isn't working.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think its because i screwed his ex. but on my car the check gauges light is on and my power steering pump is makeing a grindin raddleing noise and the wheels are extremely hard to turn.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EarlSS
I think its because i screwed his ex. but on my car the check gauges light is on and my power steering pump is makeing a grindin raddleing noise and the wheels are extremely hard to turn.
LOL and yea it sounds like you pump is trashed man...........
Old 04-28-2007, 01:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yea now this dude called my cousin and told her he didn't want to hit me but he did it because i grabbed his friend by the arm and he was scared i was gonna hurt him so he hit me... so now he says he wants to appalogize and be my friend...lol I just might let him think we are friends and then get him back but 10x worst maybe even put him in the hospital but i wonder why my pump went out all at once cause it aint made anynoises or anything...anybody got anyideas
Old 04-28-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I took the belt off today and examined my power steering pump. I wiggled the pully and it shook pretty good so i wiggled and pulled out on it at the same time and the shaft that the pully is connected to slid almost all the way out of the pump. So i guess i broke the shaft off some how in side the powersteering pump. I never have seen or even heard of this happening. Has anybody else?
Old 04-28-2007, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

There was actually a recall for the pumps on certain trucks, but I don't think there was ever one for the F-bodies. You need a new pump, there's no way around it. They are easy to change as long as you have the puller/installer for the pulley.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blue by you
There was actually a recall for the pumps on certain trucks, but I don't think there was ever one for the F-bodies. You need a new pump, there's no way around it. They are easy to change as long as you have the puller/installer for the pulley.
Yea i ordered my pump today but i dont got the tools to change it with...so i guess i'll have to pay some one to change it but i dont think it should cost much...at least i hope. Have you ever seen a pump break from revving hard and fast and droppin the clutch?
Old 04-29-2007, 08:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Not in my lifetime. You should be able to rent or borrow the puller/installer from Autozone and for the rest you just need simple hand tools. They are pretty easy to do.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blue by you
Not in my lifetime. You should be able to rent or borrow the puller/installer from Autozone and for the rest you just need simple hand tools. They are pretty easy to do.
Thanks i'll see about getting a puller/installer and doin this myself and possibly saving some money.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Heres what my pump looked like guys after i took it off and got the other one put on. The install went pretty good...its just a tight place to work. Has anyone here ever seen a shaft break on a power steering pump like that?
Old 05-03-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes indeedy! Mostly on light trucks and a few astro vans.