General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Losing coolant (Foaming too!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losing coolant (Foaming too!)

Hey guys,

For the last few months my coolant has slowly been leaking out. I haven't really had the time or the money to get the problem resolved, but I just assumed it was a small leak from the radiator. Every now and again I'd just fill up with some water to get the Low Coolant Light to turn off, and that would be about it.

On a recent 4 hour trip, I overheated twice, having to stop to fill up the coolant. At one of the rest stops, a guy was nice enough to give me a bottle of coolant. I used that to fill up, and have been adding water when it gets lower ever since.

Now I noticed that after getting out of the car, there is foam and bubbles all in the water, and foamy bubbles coming out of the reserve tank. I've heard that bubbles = blown head gasket, but I really don't think thats the problem, as the car runs perfectly fine. However, I'll be checking the oil just in case this weekend.

Is it possible that the random coolant isn't mixing right with something else in there and is causing the foam? I'll be getting under the car this weekend to check and see where the leak is, I just want to make sure that its not a head gasket or something other than just the wrong coolant and a leak before flushing the radiator.

Thanks
Old 01-31-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Regular

First step for you will be to replace the radiator cap. I had this problem to and would burn through a full radiator in about 2 days time. Get one of the regular caps from autozone and put it on to see if it changes anything. If the cap is bad it won't keep the pressure in the system which will cause it to boil over at a much lower temp and you will run out of water quick. Try this its only a few bucks and post up what happens.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Since the coolant is coming out of the resevoir cap, I think its safe to say that the radiator cap is working. If it weren't, wouldn't it visibly be coming out of there if anywhere?
Old 02-01-2008, 08:05 AM
TECH Regular

No it will come out through the reservoir cap because as the water boils it goes into the overfill tank until it to gets full then it will come up the cap there because it has holes in it to prevent pressure buildup. I you let the car get real hot and you drive it around for awhile, then lift the hood after you turn it off do you hear bubbling going on inside the overflow or radiator? If you do then it is boiling away the water and it is the cap. The other thing to do is to start the car up with the cap off and let the car get hot. Look and see if the water is bubbling. If it is then you may have compression going into your coolant system which means head gasket. I would definatly lean towards the cap though. I have been through tons of issues on my cooling system so if it doesn't work let me know and ill point you somewhere else.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

With the cap off and the car running, there are bubbles coming from the tube that is connected to the cap. I *think* thats the overflow tube though, but it kind of looks like a return hose or something. The bubbles are tiny and foamy, like soap bubbles, and I'm kind of hoping that they're just because of the odd mix of random coolants that are in the car now.

It also might be bubbling because I've been leaving the cap only halfway tightened (something I probably should have included in my original post) to prevent the leak from leaking at its full potential.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Veteran

mixing different coolants is always a bad thing.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would drain your complete coolant system and go get the correct coolant, and a new cap...try that. In the future DONT mix coolants
Old 02-04-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you got coolant comming out of the overflow thats blown headgaskets man. Thats the combustion chamber pressure pushing the coolant back out the only open source. You can try replacing the cap, but dont hold your breath
Old 02-04-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NBM99SS
If you got coolant comming out of the overflow thats blown headgaskets man. Thats the combustion chamber pressure pushing the coolant back out the only open source. You can try replacing the cap, but dont hold your breath
The cap was only halfway tightened, preventing the system from pressurizing and thus letting the coolant boil. I'm assuming that its the boiling water thats coming up the overflow.

What are some other symptoms of a blown head gasket? The car runs otherwise perfectly fine.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Amoretti
The cap was only halfway tightened, preventing the system from pressurizing and thus letting the coolant boil. I'm assuming that its the boiling water thats coming up the overflow.

What are some other symptoms of a blown head gasket? The car runs otherwise perfectly fine.
I was going off when you said you had the cap off and it was bubbling. Even so if you have the cap off and its bubbling out, coolant comming out of the overflow thats a sure sign of headgaskets. Another sign is when your heater is blowing hot air and then all of a sudden just starts blowing cold/warm air. Loss of coolant and no leaks anywhere obviously.

Go to a carquest or napa and buy the tool that checks for combustion gases in the coolant. Its a Lyle tool. Cost about $40. You fill the tube with the fluid, stick it in the radiator neck, and hook the line to manifold vacuum. Watch the color of the fluid, if it changes blue to yellow its headgaskets
Old 02-04-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

blown head gaskets will produce coolant mixing in with the oil AND/OR lots of smoke out the tailpipes (in the early stages, your exhaust develops a sickly sweet smell). It has to go somewhere after all.

Bubbles in the overflow don't automatically mean blown head gasket. Hot spots in the engine can cause parts to boil when not under pressure due to a failed rad cap. Then due to the way the pump flows the coolant, the bubbles may find there way to the overflow rather than the cap area.

On my previous camaro, I had an overheating issue due to a messed up computer throwing timing completely off. I had bubbles coming through the overflow. It was tested for exhaust gases during the months long diagnosis and repair. Once the ECM was replaced, the car ran great. No overheat and no bubbles.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SladeX
blown head gaskets will produce coolant mixing in with the oil AND/OR lots of smoke out the tailpipes (in the early stages, your exhaust develops a sickly sweet smell). It has to go somewhere after all.

Bubbles in the overflow don't automatically mean blown head gasket. Hot spots in the engine can cause parts to boil when not under pressure due to a failed rad cap. Then due to the way the pump flows the coolant, the bubbles may find there way to the overflow rather than the cap area.

On my previous camaro, I had an overheating issue due to a messed up computer throwing timing completely off. I had bubbles coming through the overflow. It was tested for exhaust gases during the months long diagnosis and repair. Once the ECM was replaced, the car ran great. No overheat and no bubbles.
I agree with you on the bubbles. On our cars though unless you have the overflow tank filled completly to the cap you cannot see the coolant thats why it has a dipstick on it. Thats why im assuming his "bubbles" might be a little more "bigger" bubbles. I could definately be wrong.

I have heard of cars where they had the timing completly off having overheating issues. Too much detination
Old 02-05-2008, 01:47 AM
TECH Addict

Get the cooling system flushed and replaced with either red or green coolant. You can use either one, just don't mix them. Everytime I've seen foamy coolant it was just bad coolant that needed to be replaced plus I'm sure your mixture has been diluted so much from adding water.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, today is car maintanance day, after class that is.

Draining the radiator, then dumpin the oil out to make sure that no coolant is mixed in. Then I'll find the for sure leak on the radiator (I'm thinking thats where it is), and I've got a buddy who can weld the aluminum up for me in a jiffy for free.

Then its time for a good flush and a fresh mixture of the appropriate coolant and distilled water.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/858634-quick-picture-question.html

I don't know if these are related but I found them while checkin things out under the hood.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Amoretti
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=858634

I don't know if these are related but I found them while checkin things out under the hood.
Alright, so those are the TB coolant bypass. No big deal.

Now I've noticed some coolant leaking around the overflow resevoir. I'm thinking that somethings happening around there because it was filled up too high. Now I don't have the appropriate dipstick for this resevoir, how filled should it be?

EDIT: When filled to the brim (which it shouldn't be), the resevoir leaks from the top. Is this normal, or does the resevoir need to be replaced? Also, does the resevoir seperate from the battery tray? They seem to be one peice, stuck together. I can't find any sensible way to seperate them, so I'm assuming that they're one peice. I ask this because the leak is right between the resevoir and the battery tray.

The resevoir doesn't pressurize, does it?

Last edited by Amoretti; 02-05-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reservoir isn't pressurized. Without the dipstick it's really hard to tell how much fluid is in there. It's not supposed to be filled to the brim.

Quick Reply: Losing coolant (Foaming too!)