General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Starter shield??

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 06:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Starter shield??

Hey all, I've just got a quick question. My starter is finally starting to give me problems. It starts one day, the next day it wont start for a week. So, I wanna put a new one in and was wondering if there is any company that makes a shield or anything for it to protect it from the heat of the headers. Or is there anyone out there that has made one before and could maybe give me some ideas on how to make one? I really appreciate it.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Launching!

Hey all, I didnt realize that I was logged in under my brothers name. It is actually for my car. He doesnt have headers one his car. Anyways, I appreciate any kind of help or ideas from anyone that has some input. Thanks guys.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lingenfelter makes a carbon fiber one. Runs $79 on their site and $67 on ebay.

Jegs carries thermoctec's universal aluminized starter wrap for $29.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Launching!

Thank you for the reply and the help. I like the looks of the Carbon fiber but the wrap is alot cheaper lol. I appreciate the help. Now I've got a decision to make.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:58 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Lingenfelter starter heat shield

The Lingenfelter starter heat shield isn't carbon fiber. It is two layers of stainless steel with a high temperature ceramic heat shield material in between.

Carbon fiber wouldn't make a very good heat shield since carbon fiber conducts heat fairly well and the epoxy resins used to bond the carbon fibers together don't hold up to very high temperatures.

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Lingenfelter makes a carbon fiber one. Runs $79 on their site and $67 on ebay.

Jegs carries thermoctec's universal aluminized starter wrap for $29.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Skeet Skeet
Hey all, I've just got a quick question. My starter is finally starting to give me problems. It starts one day, the next day it wont start for a week. So, I wanna put a new one in and was wondering if there is any company that makes a shield or anything for it to protect it from the heat of the headers. Or is there anyone out there that has made one before and could maybe give me some ideas on how to make one? I really appreciate it.
I had the same problem and just replaced the starter and the car works fine, has anyone used the lingenfelter heat shield? Im probably going to get it
Old 02-04-2009, 12:05 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I find it hard to believe that heat from the headers can affect the starter at all. Too much air flow while moving.

My starter is 11 years old, factory original. About 150,000 miles. About 100,000 miles with my 1 7/8" LT's on my 427ci.

Or are there some kind of wierd headers I don't know about that are right next to the starter for some strange reason?
Old 02-04-2009, 10:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS6427
I find it hard to believe that heat from the headers can affect the starter at all. Too much air flow while moving.

My starter is 11 years old, factory original. About 150,000 miles. About 100,000 miles with my 1 7/8" LT's on my 427ci.

Or are there some kind of wierd headers I don't know about that are right next to the starter for some strange reason?
I dont know about LTs on LS1/4th gens but heat soak was definitely an issue on my 383 IROC with Edlebrock LTs. I ended up running some high quality 4 gauge cabe and wrapping the headers (I know, everyone says that is bad).

Quick Reply: Starter shield??