Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

e cutout ppl come in

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default e cutout ppl come in

i have a manual cut that i've left open since day 1, thats why i got the manual one. well its gotten to the point where im a bit annoyed by the loudness. im going to replace my flowmasters with amagnaflow pretty soon, but i know its going to be too quiet for my taste (im on a budget) ... i kno the e cutout can be adjusted as to how open you have it. i dont want to buy the motor for that .. can any of you guys maybe take a pi of the plate to where its not too loud nor toquiet ... i plan on useing the pic as aguied to cut my plate and hopefully achieve what im looking for.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont have one but it would probably be easier to start small and if its still a little too quiet make the hole bigger, just a thought. i have a manual cutout too and its stayed open its getting old the with no tone at all...im close to hacking the whole catback off and putting a dumped bullet on on it
Old 12-09-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had an ecutout too and I loved the adjustability...it's was probably the coolest feature of the car whenever I showed it to someone (demonstrated it). I too would just take a block-off plate and drill a small hole through it. If it's too quiet then just make the hole bigger as mentioned. With full bolt-ons and a cam w/o cats it still sounded like a dump truck at low rpms but boy did it sounds good at WOT!
Old 12-09-2008, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

i thought of that too ...guess il have to go with that.

thanks
Old 12-10-2008, 04:53 AM
Launching!

i have an E cutout on my setup and i love it i wired the switch to my ashtray ( i dont smoke and dont allow anyone to smoke in my SS) i can role around loud as hell and then cut it out when im not in the mood for it or if i role by a COP or something and dont want to get hastled plus when im on the highway i can just cut it out and chill and enjoy the music by far coolest feature on my car
Old 12-10-2008, 06:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blades11b
i have an E cutout on my setup and i love it i wired the switch to my ashtray ( i dont smoke and dont allow anyone to smoke in my SS) i can role around loud as hell and then cut it out when im not in the mood for it or if i role by a COP or something and dont want to get hastled plus when im on the highway i can just cut it out and chill and enjoy the music by far coolest feature on my car

Thats exactly what I use mine for too. I used to have a LM with no cats and a cam. Got to loud and raspy for me to drive everyday. Now I have a magnaflow cat back with no cats and a e cutout, best decision so far.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had my QTP electric cutout for a while now myself. I opted for the digital controller and I love that thing! I made a cut in my ashtray and slid it in from the back so when you open the tray it is facing up. I have LTs, no cats and a flowmaster. I usually drive with it open if the windows are down and tops off but if the windows are closed I always close the cutout because of the drone. I HIGHLY recommend the electric plate!
Old 12-10-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Regular

your going to have to play with different sizes yourself. I could take a pic of what I like but that doesnt go for everyone or every car. Use block off plates like Borla.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Launching!

Hello, I would really like to understand something. If almost everyone doesnt run cats anyways then why have an ecutout? Does the high flow aftermarket muffler even with NO CATS kill the power and sound that much???? I would have thought the ecutout was for people who killed there power and sound by having cats and then of course the mufflers aswell, so when they wanted the full power and sound then they would flip the ecutout open???..... But if you are running no cats to begin with, then just a high flow aftermarket muffler will kill your sound and power that much??? Even with longtubes, possible cam, and NO CATS, only mufflers????? Im just trying to learn as much as I can as im gettin an fbod soon thanks guys!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 10:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SimRacer1
Hello, I would really like to understand something. If almost everyone doesnt run cats anyways then why have an ecutout? Does the high flow aftermarket muffler even with NO CATS kill the power and sound that much???? I would have thought the ecutout was for people who killed there power and sound by having cats and then of course the mufflers aswell, so when they wanted the full power and sound then they would flip the ecutout open???..... But if you are running no cats to begin with, then just a high flow aftermarket muffler will kill your sound and power that much??? Even with longtubes, possible cam, and NO CATS, only mufflers????? Im just trying to learn as much as I can as im gettin an fbod soon thanks guys!!!
Well, I dont see how you would put a cutout before the CATS.. So, thats not even an option.

For me, it was the sound. I heard you may lose a little TQ down low, but that you gain some HP up top. Not a big deal, more of a noise maker, I have 2 ecutouts and sounds like a monster going down the track. This was a slower 11.2 run, but you can hear the cutouts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTpSC6ndT5w
Old 12-11-2008, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Can you guys with electric cutouts show pics of where and how you mounted the switch. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SimRacer1
Hello, I would really like to understand something. If almost everyone doesnt run cats anyways then why have an ecutout? Does the high flow aftermarket muffler even with NO CATS kill the power and sound that much???? I would have thought the ecutout was for people who killed there power and sound by having cats and then of course the mufflers aswell, so when they wanted the full power and sound then they would flip the ecutout open???..... But if you are running no cats to begin with, then just a high flow aftermarket muffler will kill your sound and power that much??? Even with longtubes, possible cam, and NO CATS, only mufflers?????
My last f-bod was LT's, ORY, magnaflow exhaust with a good sized cam and yes the cutout open makes a huge difference in sound. I doubt the power was that much better but the sound was MUCH louder with the cutout open.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

i cant decide if i want to pick up a magnaflow and a elec cutout or say screw it and just get duals...
Old 12-11-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Camaro8509
Can you guys with electric cutouts show pics of where and how you mounted the switch. Thanks in advance.
Can't find any pics but I just took the switch and cut a rectrangular hole in the bottom of my ashtray and it fit in there pretty tight. This way I could pop up the ashtray cover and operate the switch whenever i wanted...very stealth!
Old 12-11-2008, 12:36 PM
11 Second Club

i had a qtp one on my truck and i had it for about a week before it stopped working and its not a wiring problem. piece of junk
Old 12-11-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with everyone here. Cutouts make a big loud sound. I like the sound at low rpms too

I didn't want to spend money on a whole exhaust system, so I just got a cutout to make my car louder. I have passengers though and I turn it off for them and when a cop comes by lol. I couldn't do a manual one with the weather here.

-

if I could do it though i'd get duals instead... although I get headaches and want nice and quiet sometimes (specially listening to music)
Old 12-11-2008, 02:31 PM
10 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...ts-y-pipe.html
Old 12-11-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a manual cutout on my Z28. My GF got a ecout for her car, she did a nice job on it too. Her car is cammed and stalled so it can get pretty loud sometimes. LTs, ORY, and stock catback. Its a QTP, but we used a smaller switch in the ashtray to hide it a lil better.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's where I had it in my 99 TA.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
Where is that thread does it show the switch