Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

define "sealed lid" and pressurization for Under car ram air please

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 02:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default define "sealed lid" and pressurization for Under car ram air please

So i've been trolling this section looking at SSRA/FTRA threads and noticed a bunch of topics on sealing the lids.

so i search for those threads and noticed 1 clear definition and about 8 vague definitions.

the 1 clear one was the OP used weatherstripping to prevent air leakage between the inside of the lid and the filter used.

the other vague definitions talked about:

sealing the ftra/ssra lips
sealing the outside of the lid?
sealing the tabs?!

I am slightly confused. Are we trying to create a Volant style closed system here or just trying to keep a barrier for the air so that any air entering the MAF housing must first pass through a filter instead of just seeping in above the filter?

someone mentioned pressurization for better results on ftra/ssra/slp cai setups. are these people just sealing the filter+lid as well or is there some other method utilized in order to turn the whole lid into a closed system?

just curious. i apologize if there was a thread already made for this specific purpose but i couldn't really find any clear answers, and only visual (torched 02 ta's video has a quick glimpse but nothing more)
Old 01-08-2009, 02:51 AM
TECH Regular

dot. I'm about to get these parts too and want to make sure I'm doing it all right.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

well, you don't want unfiltered air going into your engine hence sealing the lid. The ram air gets pressurized at speed forcing air into the filter- thats the FTRA
Old 01-08-2009, 07:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...sults-tom.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...ome-tests.html

Use weather stripping on the unside of the lid to seal the lid to the air filter, also use weather stripping to seal up the front slit where it used to take in air stock…(usually requires to stack 2-3 pieces of weather stripping on top of each other to get the 1” or so required to seal nicely…also add weather stripping to the top of the ftra to seal it to the complete lid assembly base…so everything is tight and sealed up now you will enjoy the gains…
Old 01-08-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like chris said use weather stripping under your lid. Seal all the edges under your lid. Seal the front portion of your lid where air goes under your air box. If you click the link in my sig, you will see when i pop the hood you will see weather stripping in front of my lid. And lastly beafore you put your radiator support back on, put weather stripping on the top of the FTRA/SSRA
Old 01-08-2009, 10:47 AM
12 Second Club

thanks fellas for helping out a fellow illinois dude!

nothing personal lopoetve :-)
Old 01-08-2009, 12:15 PM
11 Second Club

my ram air to rad. support is sealed, but i never thought about lid to filter
Old 01-08-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Regular

Why would the lid to filter need any more weather stripping than it all ready has? If unfiltered air was getting in I'm sure more weather stripping would have been included witht the after market lid. For example how SLP only gives you weaather stripping for the back side of the lid. If the lid didn't seal I would think they would have gotten complaints by now.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

i saled lid refers to a WS6 style car where you put filler in between where the opening to the air lid is and the hood. this seals the lid to cooler outside air. On a camaro a FTRA or SSRA is a tunnel that goes in front of your radiator and picks up cool air from under the car. the SSRA is the best one you can get for a camaro IMHO
Old 01-08-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CayenneRedV6
Why would the lid to filter need any more weather stripping than it all ready has? If unfiltered air was getting in I'm sure more weather stripping would have been included witht the after market lid. For example how SLP only gives you weaather stripping for the back side of the lid. If the lid didn't seal I would think they would have gotten complaints by now.
If you look at the back of your lid eye level where the 4 nubs are, you will see a gap there. I put 2 layers of weather stripping going around my lid
Old 01-08-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

is this stuff they include, or parts we have to buy separate?

and is the sealed lid issue only for the WS6 cars, or anything using one of the SSRA/FTRA kits?
Old 01-08-2009, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Lopoetve
is this stuff they include, or parts we have to buy separate?

and is the sealed lid issue only for the WS6 cars, or anything using one of the SSRA/FTRA kits?
Fast Toys will include the part that goes in front of the lid.

For sealing under the lid and radiator support you will need to by your own weather stripping.

Anyone who is using the FTRA/SSRA should pressureize the airbox.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Regular

Any good instructions on how to do that? No offnese, but I don't exactly have any experience weather stripping anything
Old 01-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Fast Toys will include the part that goes in front of the lid.

For sealing under the lid and radiator support you will need to by your own weather stripping.

Anyone who is using the FTRA/SSRA should pressureize the airbox.
I have a fast toys and Ive always wondered why you wouldnt want to utlize the factory ram air scoop in the front for air from the hood as well as ftra. Seems to me the more air coming in the better. If you look at the filter over time its not like much of the other air is coming in there anyways because you can see perfect rectangles of particles on the air filter where air is directly going in from underneath. I left the front blocker off, and with my ram air air box the weatherstripping they gave with the ftra didnt even seem to be high enough on the sides to completely seal it.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

I'm just curious why they'd sell something that requires me to go to the hardware store to pick up a bunch of weatherstripping or caulk to fix.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by redfbird99
I have a fast toys and Ive always wondered why you wouldnt want to utlize the factory ram air scoop in the front for air from the hood as well as ftra. Seems to me the more air coming in the better. If you look at the filter over time its not like much of the other air is coming in there anyways because you can see perfect rectangles of particles on the air filter where air is directly going in from underneath. I left the front blocker off, and with my ram air air box the weatherstripping they gave with the ftra didnt even seem to be high enough on the sides to completely seal it.
Well, the FTRA is way more effective than the factory ws6 ram air and you need to have the lid sealed completely in order to get the full effect. Also the ws6 ram air lid is raised another inch or so than a non ram air car so that's what i believe your problem is with the weather stripping not fitting.

Originally Posted by Lopoetve
I'm just curious why they'd sell something that requires me to go to the hardware store to pick up a bunch of weatherstripping or caulk to fix.
x2.... I think fast Toys should come out with a product that will completely seal the lid up, like an entire new lid support, so it looks professional instead of using weather stripping.

This thread reminds me that I still have yet to purchase the FTRA. GP anybody???
Old 01-08-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

amen. Does the super sucker have this same issue, or is their design better?

I mean, I'm sitting here thinking and trying to figure out where all you'd need to strip, and it'd almost be easier to just cover the whole thing with Duct tape. Where all are you supposed to cover, and why wasn't it done that way from the get go (or at least stripping provided)?
Old 01-08-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

You seal up everything (pressurizing) so that air can travel to the path of least resistance.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
You seal up everything (pressurizing) so that air can travel to the path of least resistance.
I understand that, but with the engine acting as a huge vaccum it doesnt seem like it would hurt at all to let even more air come in from the front. I cannot imagine the FTRA even forces enough air to "pressurize" as you are talking about it. In fact if it was pressurizing anything then it would be basically providing boost in a sense, and that definately doesnt occur. Going way up the ducting I see it as nothing more than a cold air intake, sealing off everything properly just keeps the heat from the engine from heating up the incoming air, pressurization is not the issue. IMO but what do I know? lol
Old 01-10-2009, 10:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand that, but with the engine acting as a huge vaccum it doesnt seem like it would hurt at all to let even more air come in from the front. I cannot imagine the FTRA even forces enough air to "pressurize" as you are talking about it. In fact if it was pressurizing anything then it would be basically providing boost in a sense, and that definately doesnt occur. Going way up the ducting I see it as nothing more than a cold air intake, sealing off everything properly just keeps the heat from the engine from heating up the incoming air, pressurization is not the issue. IMO but what do I know? lol
Sorry bud you are wrong and here is the proof, should make argue with torchd, he has read my thread, haha...jk

check this out

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...ome-tests.html

might find this one interesting too i was pretty close with my 20rwhp guess in the first thread

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...sults-tom.html