Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand new air lid (MTI) has holes - worth trying to fix, or return?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new air lid (MTI) has holes - worth trying to fix, or return?

So I ordered an MTI air lid through one of the companies represented here. I'd actually ordered the carbon-fibre looking one, but they sent me the clear one. This alone doesn't bother me too much, but the seal between the top and bottom portions of the lid (where they come together to make the round portion of the lid to connect to the MAF) has several holes in it. Basically, it looks like a 10 year old slopped a bunch of glue on there to hold it together (I know it's melted/sealed/whatever) and missed a few spots where air leaks by.

The question is, is it worth trying to seal/fix, or should I just return it?
Old 01-22-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lopoetve
So I ordered an MTI air lid through one of the companies represented here. I'd actually ordered the carbon-fibre looking one, but they sent me the clear one. This alone doesn't bother me too much, but the seal between the top and bottom portions of the lid (where they come together to make the round portion of the lid to connect to the MAF) has several holes in it. Basically, it looks like a 10 year old slopped a bunch of glue on there to hold it together (I know it's melted/sealed/whatever) and missed a few spots where air leaks by.

The question is, is it worth trying to seal/fix, or should I just return it?
See if you can fix it your self with some silicone?
Old 01-22-2009, 02:28 PM
12 Second Club

I would definitly return it. You don't pay good money for a product just to have to fix it yourself.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by zracer323
I would definitly return it. You don't pay good money for a product just to have to fix it yourself.
That is just a hassel then. I doubt the holes are really that big. silicone is clear and i am sure it will not be noticable
Old 01-22-2009, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on your personality. Some people can just say f*ck it and use silicone. Others want the product they paid good money for to work properly and be made right. I'd return it, I wouldn't care for a little hassle to get a product thats made right and wasn't screwed up on the assembly line. I bet the company you got it from would be more than happy to get you what you paid for and will probably be embarrassed.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Launching!

Id say send it back and get the CF one you expected to get in the first place.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
That is just a hassel then. I doubt the holes are really that big. silicone is clear and i am sure it will not be noticable
I know nothing about trying to patch something like this though. My first instinct would be to slap duct tape on, which definitely won't solve the issue... And with the FTRA, how do you get a good seal so that you know it's pressurized?
Old 01-22-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

Trying to seal that is the most idiotic thing you can try to do. Send it back ASAP. The longer you wait the more likely it could be blamed on you for damages to the product. If you try to fix it and fail to fix it then the product is not in the same condition as when you recieved it and may be harder to get what you really want. DO NOT alter it in any way and just send it back and get what you wanted in the first place.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Adam1982
Id say send it back and get the CF one you expected to get in the first place.
Ya beat me to it
Old 01-22-2009, 05:42 PM
11 Second Club

definatelly send it back. From what I have heard there arent too many people impressed with the fitment of the MTI lids.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hell yeah, return that piece of **** and get the carbon fiber one you ordered and paid for. Maybe it'll be made right and you'll have what you wanted.

Don't the clowns at MTI at least take 5 seconds to do a quick quality check before shipping products out. Oh, wait, it has to have quality first.

Nobody takes pride in their work anymore. Pathetic.

Better yet, get a refund. Then go buy a good lid that will fit too.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

post pics of where there are holes.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:32 PM
11 Second Club

Ship it back and demand a refund or the actual part you paid for.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

If it is not the correct part that you ordered and is really defective you should not even ask our opinion. It should be sent back ASAP. But why dont you call them and try to figure out something first just to let them know there is a problem. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by HMERacing
If it is not the correct part that you ordered and is really defective you should not even ask our opinion. It should be sent back ASAP. But why dont you call them and try to figure out something first just to let them know there is a problem. Good luck.
I went to do just that, but they're closed till next month

Pardon the size, but I circled the holes. Excuse the BAD cell phone pic.

I may just try to get a refund for this one later, or charge back if necessary. Who makes a quality, GOOD lid that has both the IAT and AIR parts as needed?

And for that matter, where in the world does the AIR pipe go on this particular lid?? I got the filter for it, but I'm not seeing anything like the SLP lid pics/etc seemed to hint I would...
Old 01-22-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS6427
Hell yeah, return that piece of **** and get the carbon fiber one you ordered and paid for. Maybe it'll be made right and you'll have what you wanted.

Don't the clowns at MTI at least take 5 seconds to do a quick quality check before shipping products out. Oh, wait, it has to have quality first.

Nobody takes pride in their work anymore. Pathetic.

Better yet, get a refund. Then go buy a good lid that will fit too.
Amen @ that. Trust me, this is why I've been picking parts carefully... everything seemed to hint at "a lid is a lid", except I did see fitment issues on the SLP ones, so I nabbed the first one I saw.

Who makes a good one other than the FT85mm one? I don't want to have to drill a hole for the IAT like I would with theirs.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

dude for those TINY little holes, slap some silicone on it, let it sit over night and call it a day. That is not even noticable
Old 01-23-2009, 12:23 AM
TECH Regular

Because I'm not very good at that kind of thing and I'll probably make a huge mess, and in addition, the thing just looks cheap and nasty. Plus, I'll be damned if I can figure out how the AIR system is supposed to hook up to this thing... unlike the SLP lid pics I looked at, I can't see any place to make a connection either on the lid or on the remaining intake box. Looks like I'll have to drill a hole, and that's precisely what I was trying to avoid, and why I bought one that included the filter for that - I assumed that they'd have the place to make the connection for the filter they sold me, after all. The instructions mention ~nothing~ for this. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Lopoetve
Because I'm not very good at that kind of thing and I'll probably make a huge mess, and in addition, the thing just looks cheap and nasty. Plus, I'll be damned if I can figure out how the AIR system is supposed to hook up to this thing... unlike the SLP lid pics I looked at, I can't see any place to make a connection either on the lid or on the remaining intake box. Looks like I'll have to drill a hole, and that's precisely what I was trying to avoid, and why I bought one that included the filter for that - I assumed that they'd have the place to make the connection for the filter they sold me, after all. The instructions mention ~nothing~ for this. Correct me if I'm wrong.
You need a thin bead of silicone to get the job done. The air hose does not hook up to that, you need to get a little breather filter and attatch it to the end. You will need to drill a hole for your IAT sensor.

FWIW i too am running the MTI lid
Old 01-23-2009, 12:46 AM
TECH Regular

I've got the filter - where in the world do I put it though? That's what I'm not following, as the SLP one (the only one I've seen close) has a second attach point, much like the IAT point, on the far right (drivers side) for it, and this one does not. Do I have to drill?