Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody ever hear of this kind of Electric Cut-out???

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 03:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Anybody ever hear of this kind of Electric Cut-out???

I was at a car show the other night, and was talking to a guy who had some QTP electric cutouts on his car... he mentioned not being too happy with them, either leaking or not working properly... that's when I brought up the DMH's of course...

He said that a lot of the problem with the leaking is that fact that these types of cutouts use a "butterfly" method of opening/closing the cut-out... he said there was a company out there that made a better design that was like a guillotine type setup... which meant no leaks

only problem was, he couldn't remember who made them... anybody hear of these "guillotine" type cut-outs before?
Old 04-06-2009, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't remember who makes them, but I have seen them
Old 04-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Banned

We have never had an issue with QTP cut outs leaking. And as for not working, chances are when you hear this, the person who has them installed has them mounted too low and is bottoming the car out on the ground with them. That is the only time I have seen one fail. Any cut out will fail under those conditions. QTP makes a great cut-out. We have had nothing but great luck with those cut-outs.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:42 PM
11 Second Club

I just saw some of these on ebay forsale the other day...I was looking at getting one.

Just do a search for 3" electric cutout and you will find them.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Max@Cartek
We have never had an issue with QTP cut outs leaking. And as for not working, chances are when you hear this, the person who has them installed has them mounted too low and is bottoming the car out on the ground with them. That is the only time I have seen one fail. Any cut out will fail under those conditions. QTP makes a great cut-out. We have had nothing but great luck with those cut-outs.
I've got no experience with QTP myself. But I've heard many horror stories on here about them. Mainly the motors giving up sometimes as early as 3 months. They've gotten a bad rap for CS... Not to mention they don't even come close to DMH's 4 year warranty... Many guys have had both and just about always attest to the better quality of the DMH's...

but......... i'm not really asking about the DMH's so.....

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98
I just saw some of these on ebay forsale the other day...I was looking at getting one.

Just do a search for 3" electric cutout and you will find them.
just tried it... couldn't find any "guillotine" ones...
Old 04-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Max@Cartek
X2............Never have had a problem with my QTP's..............
Old 04-06-2009, 07:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
I've got no experience with QTP myself. But I've heard many horror stories on here about them. Mainly the motors giving up sometimes as early as 3 months. They've gotten a bad rap for CS... Not to mention they don't even come close to DMH's 4 year warranty... Many guys have had both and just about always attest to the better quality of the DMH's...

but......... i'm not really asking about the DMH's so.....

just tried it... couldn't find any "guillotine" ones...
Horror stories! Thats funny. I have had mine for 5 years or so. i dont remeber when i got it. Works like a champ. You yourself it spreading more hearsay just like others. You dont have personal experience. i do and its great. But you say motors giving up, but do you hear the other side to the story when the cutout is like a boat anchor and hits everything under the sun. People never say it was there fault.

I also laugh at the dmh warranty. I have yet to see this written warranty they have. If they were so great why arent they a sponsor. Why is there website look like it wade made with crayons.

The guilotine style is made by Dougs. I saw it on trucks. I never seen anyone with it or read anyone that had it on the net.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Here's the ones I was looking for.... Jag PMed me the info on them in the FS section

Old 04-06-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Hard Core Z28
Horror stories! Thats funny. I have had mine for 5 years or so. i dont remeber when i got it. Works like a champ. You yourself it spreading more hearsay just like others. You dont have personal experience. i do and its great. But you say motors giving up, but do you hear the other side to the story when the cutout is like a boat anchor and hits everything under the sun. People never say it was there fault.

I also laugh at the dmh warranty. I have yet to see this written warranty they have. If they were so great why arent they a sponsor. Why is there website look like it wade made with crayons.

The guilotine style is made by Dougs. I saw it on trucks. I never seen anyone with it or read anyone that had it on the net.
Yea I stated I didn't have experience so that I never claimed that I did... I guess it's sort of like Spec Clutches, all you hear about them are bad things... I suppose it's just after a while, if all you hear is negative feedback, there's got to be some truth to it. And how come you never hear negative feedback about the other companies?

I dunno... I don't thing their website is so bad...

Old 04-06-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Maybe because they dont sell as much. Oh btw i love my spec 3+ works great. Most people dont post or talk about products that work well. its when there is a problem that people feel they need to talk about it. Did you make a post or talk about every mod you did????
Old 04-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Launching!

that cutout looks really cool, definitely seems like it would seal up better with no leaks.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Hard Core Z28
Maybe because they dont sell as much. Oh btw i love my spec 3+ works great. Most people dont post or talk about products that work well. its when there is a problem that people feel they need to talk about it. Did you make a post or talk about every mod you did????
didn't know you had a Spec clutch also... what are the odds!?!

actually.... I pretty much have talked about just about all my mods...

Quick Reply: Anybody ever hear of this kind of Electric Cut-out???