Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arcing iginition wires

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking Arcing iginition wires

Went to Cartek for a dyno with my infamous ticking sound, and the guys said it sounds a lot like arcing ignition wires.

Should I replace the plug? Is there any ill affects to having the wire arc?

Thanks

BTW, since the ticking noise seems to be coming from the passenger side, I am going to do this only on passenger side.

Take out all spark plug wires
Take out all spark plugs (anything I should inspect for?)
Put spark plugs back in
Use OEM spark plugs wires
Fire up car
Listen for ticks
Turn off car
Remove last 2 plug wires and replace with MSD wires that I currently use
Pray to God for no ticking
Fire up car
Listen for ticks
Turn off car
Remove front 2 spark plugs wires and replace with MSD wires that I currently use
Pray to God
Fire up car
Listen for ticks
Old 11-09-2003, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

If a wire(s) is actually arcing, using a tol like autotap to see what cylinder is misfiring is a quick way to check....
Old 11-09-2003, 04:12 PM

Maybe I can help. You serioulsy need to invest in some super quality ignition wires, and I'm not talking about the garbage that the "round-the-corner" speed shop sells. All iginition wiring is not created equally. I am using Magnecor ignition wires to prevent the very problems that you are having a dilemma with. As somebody that has fiddled around with race cars and the ignition systems that are on them, I exclusively used Magnecor, so did a hell of alot of guys over the other stuff. I quickly learned how valuable a properly functioning ignition can be. It's even more important with these cars that use sophisticated electronics. They do make a set of wires for the LS1. Here's the site www.magnecor.com
I guarantee with these that **** will stop,,,for good! You'll need to download their catalog to Adobe, or give them a call.
Old 11-09-2003, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Have you opened the hood in the dark with it running to see if they are arcing? Just a thought.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

I did open the hood looking for arcing, I assume it should be some kind of spark right? If not then I didn't know what to look for.

Oh yeah I didn't see a spark.

Sawedoff: So MSD wires are not that good? It seems like a ton of people use them, maybe I got a bad set?
Old 11-09-2003, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
I did open the hood looking for arcing, I assume it should be some kind of spark right? If not then I didn't know what to look for.

Oh yeah I didn't see a spark.

Sawedoff: So MSD wires are not that good? It seems like a ton of people use them, maybe I got a bad set?
Yes, when I wire arcs, you will not always be able to see it. The jacket insulation in the wire may have had a flaw, or has failed for some reason. Yes, MSD, as well as alot of the typical brand name wires do use cheap ****. They can get the speed shops to buy more of their stuff, because it's cheaper for them to make. So, there fore they can sell more of it to the market, because it becomes price competitive. They buy wire in large looms, with their name stamped on it, and they sell it like it's their own. Ignition wires will not yield more horsepower. If they do when you swap em' out, then something else in the system wasn't up to par. In my case, I went with Magnecor, because of the things I learned in racing. I know their quality, and it speaks well. I would replace the wires if it were my problem to deal with.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the info!!!
Can't wait to get rid of this ticking

Why do I always get the lemon?
Old 11-09-2003, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
Thanks for the info!!!
Can't wait to get rid of this ticking

Why do I always get the lemon?
Hell, we all land a lemon sometimes. I just wasted good money on the VR Velocity Stack and the airfilter that they sell. I installed neither one, and am in the process of sending them back. Thank God we've got this board. You probably won't be bale to get Magnecors from the speed shop. You can instead get them direct. You won't be sorry.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

I guess I have just run into a bit of a rut.

I had a header leak (taken care of already)
blown window motor
blown blinker light
and ticking noise

Its all little things, but annoying the **** out of me and I haven't had anytime to fix things lately because of family matters that needed to be attended to, and school has decided to drop a bomb on me and give me a big test in every class....Guess I am still playing the violin

Hopefully in the next week or 2, i'll find out I failed all my tests, fix the ticking, and take the car to the dealership to fix the warranty stuff. Then it'll be time to start shopping for christmas.

Hmmm heres my list
Mom-gift certificate to hair salon
brother #1- ???
brother #2- Socom 2
sister- Finding Nemo DVD
Dad-???
girlfriend-some jewelery
Trans Am- Yank SS3600