Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Descreen MAF with K&N FIPK??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Descreen MAF with K&N FIPK??

Tomorrow I'm going to clean my K&N FIPK and i figured i should just descreen the MAF.

I've seen threads on how to desreen the MAF when you have the stock intake, but i have the FIPK. Is their any directions on how to do this properly? When i pop the hood, it looks rather simple. As if their is only a couple bolts to undo...Do i have to unplug the MAF and the K&N before i start anything?

Also, can i just leave the MAF where it is and take off the screen without pulling it out? This sounds like it would be a lot easier, but i understand i need to be very careful not to hit the three sensors...

If it's too complicated, i might just leave it alone...Haven't decided yet. But, if any of you can give me some instruction, or a link, I'll be happy to get the job done! I just don't want to screw anything up!!!
Old 08-21-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey, I just descreened my MAF sensor, and it is very easy. I disconnected the battery then unpluged the MAF and little sensor that is on the air lid I pulled the aircleaner to throttle body assembly off. Then I used a torques head screw drive (Star head) and pulled the front assembly off the maf and punched the screen out from the inside out that way you don't mess with the MAF itself.

I must warn you I made the mistake of doing it on an automatic car, then I found out that it can possibly screw with transmission line pressure. Don't ask me how,it is long and complicated. So if you have an automatic, I would warn against it. I am still waiting for one I bought off ebay that still had the screen in it and I am not going to risk the transmission for a small horsepower gain.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

personally i wouldn't mess with the MAF... those things are so sensitive. And in my book aren't cheap and sucks to replace them just because you took the screen out gaining minimal hp. I know it has been done successfully from many members on here. So it's up to you...

good luck either way
Old 08-22-2009, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I did mine and its pretty simple but you will have to take the MAF all the way off. Just unplug it and remove it from the intake. Take a screw driver and push out the screen and be careful not to mess with the foils inside. Remove the whole screen then reinstall.

As far as autos go I heard that too but all corvette MAF's are unscreened and any aftermarket one is unscreened. Corvettes came with autos too. Plus if you plan on getting a tune or have had one with a auto they probably adjusted your transmission line pressure already.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:03 AM
Staging Lane

from what ive heard... the screen allow for a steady stream of air to the sensors.. thus give your sensor a steady consistent read. I doubt you'll get any gain out of taking out that screen.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls2supersport
from what ive heard... the screen allow for a steady stream of air to the sensors.. thus give your sensor a steady consistent read. I doubt you'll get any gain out of taking out that screen.

When in doubt, watch my video, we raced between each mod to see what actual difference it would make. Port and polished throttle body, de screened the maf, cold air intake... Check it out...

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/L...ing_643805.htm
Old 08-22-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the video .... it is kind of old news .. CAI is usually good for at least a 1/10th in the quarter and ported TB is good for 5/100s to a 1/10th along with the descreening mod you are looking at probably 2/10ths and maybe couple of more 100s for all the mods...thats a long time in a quarter mile which equates to the car lengths that your brother put on you in your races...thanks for your efforts..
Old 08-22-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slt200mph
Thanks for the video .... it is kind of old news .. CAI is usually good for at least a 1/10th in the quarter and ported TB is good for 5/100s to a 1/10th along with the descreening mod you are looking at probably 2/10ths and maybe couple of more 100s for all the mods...thats a long time in a quarter mile which equates to the car lengths that your brother put on you in your races...thanks for your efforts..
Its definetly old news. But it doesn't matter if you "say" it will make a difference, its just hear say to all the guys that say they don't think it will make a difference. Then they see the actual evidence in my video and you got all these guys under their hoods cutting out there Maf screens and emailing me, asking me how they can get their throttle body ported
Old 08-22-2009, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Its definetly old news. But it doesn't matter if you "say" it will make a difference, its just hear say to all the guys that say they don't think it will make a difference. Then they see the actual evidence in my video and you got all these guys under their hoods cutting out there Maf screens and emailing me, asking me how they can get their throttle body ported
Like I said thanks for your input ... but if you look around a little bit you will find real tests concerning these mods...off the top of my head years ago (at lest six or seven years ago) intalluniversity.com did a test at the drag strip concerning the gains made with the CAI mod done using a fast toys ram air system...this site has been here for a long time now and you can find test results as well as hot to do it discriptions of most of the free mods including porting a TB...you won't beleive what you can find by using the search function ...
Old 08-22-2009, 12:45 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i did this mod too, but i descreened it and ported it. it was pretty east but i didnt notice much difference
Old 08-22-2009, 02:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

9 out of 10 times Ported MAF = Ruined MAF
Old 08-22-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh snap! Camaro 0wner, I tripped over so may dead horses on the way in here that I forgot what I was gonna say.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From the way it sounds, I'm just going to leave the MAF alone...I have an A4 and minimal HP isn't worth the risk...I'll save my time and use it towards spark plugs or something...

I'll just clean out my K&N tomorrow and not worry about the descreen. I don't need to unplug anything when cleaning my K&N FIPK, correct?
Old 08-22-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Every GM I've ever owned has had a descreened MAF, on a stock tune it leans it out, when you get a performance tune it is no longer a restriction.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro 0wner
From the way it sounds, I'm just going to leave the MAF alone...I have an A4 and minimal HP isn't worth the risk...I'll save my time and use it towards spark plugs or something...

I'll just clean out my K&N tomorrow and not worry about the descreen. I don't need to unplug anything when cleaning my K&N FIPK, correct?

Good choice & FYI, I didn't descreen my MAF until it became the restriction (measured MAP reduction) in the system, which was @ about 377 g/s through a ported LS6 & AFR 205 heads. MAP was dropping from 100 kPa down to 94 kPa. After de-screen, it only dropped down to 98 kPa. So, at that point, it was the cause of the restriction & had to go. Not to say that one wouldn't gain a few ponies by de-screening early on in the mod's stage, I just chose to wait until it truly became a performance issue. Gotta have logged info &/or tuning software if you truly want physical air movement mods to perform @ their peak.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Frost
9 out of 10 times Ported MAF = Ruined MAF
0% true, we have ported dozens of mafs at our shop, every single time the owner reported seat of the pants gains. 0 ruined mafs.

op, take it to someone who knows what theyre doin. not one of these guys who herd from their brothers neihbors son that it will screw it up.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:36 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001ws6-500hp
0% true, we have ported dozens of mafs at our shop, every single time the owner reported seat of the pants gains. 0 ruined mafs.

op, take it to someone who knows what theyre doin. not one of these guys who herd from their brothers neihbors son that it will screw it up.

I can back up what I say with logs from the dyno with wideband and MAF data. Cars with raped MAFs go on the dyno, with NO offsetting LTFTs you make 3 pulls at WOT logging AFR with NO PCM UPDATES... At the end, you have 3 pulls with 3 different AFRs. I have before and after logs from your ported (raped) MAFs swapped for stock [often] de-screened MAFs that show WOT repeatability immediately returning. Not every ported MAF acts this way, but the large majority do. Don't take my word for it, look at your wideband data logs afterward... Oh wait, you aren't doing that or you'd have seen it.

I don't sell MAFs, so it's not like I have some agenda. I have, however seen the real world wideband results of at least 50 of them.

Of COURSE the owner feels it, it LEANS THE CAR OUT. Descreen it (if you want) and tune the car with a wideband. That's the right way to do it. Try porting a MAF on a car that was descreened and tuned. You WON'T find a gain, but you will dick up the repeatability.

Don't argue your opinion, post your data that proves I'm wrong.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:52 PM
Banned

sotp, thts my data
Old 08-24-2009, 03:35 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
When in doubt, watch my video, we raced between each mod to see what actual difference it would make. Port and polished throttle body, de screened the maf, cold air intake... Check it out...

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/L...ing_643805.htm
vid not working
Old 08-24-2009, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HTX
vid not working
I just clicked on it, works for me. If your at work, filters may be keeping you from watching it.

Quick Reply: Descreen MAF with K&N FIPK??