Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another exhaust thread..need suggestions to quiet things down

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another exhaust thread..need suggestions to quiet things down

I have searched a bunch on many boards, ls1sounds, youtube, etc and found alot of info but still need a little more hopefully from some guys with first hand experience. Too bad I can't just try every exhaust out there myself, but time and money just wont allow that.

This car is new to me and came with a Futral F14 cam, QTP longtubes, Y-pipe with Maganflow cats, and the Borla adjustable cat back.

Short and sweet I need to quiet this thing down. The car started with the borla plate almost completely blocked off and I was not wild about the sound at all. Too high pitch and still too loud. I changed it to a about 1" dia hole plate and the tone is vastly improved but it is just too darn loud for my taste and especially my neighbors at 5am going to work. Wife says she hears me from several blocks away at essentially idle speed.

My previous LT1 Trans Am had shorty headers and the hooker cat back, and I loved it. This is kind of what I am going for again.

Where I need help is knowing if the long tubes and cam will really prevent me from getting this thing much quieter.

If I change cat backs it seems I need to go Magnaflow or Hooker again for the quietest. Can someone with good experience with both tell me which of these is quieter?

Does the pipe and muffler configuration of the borla prevent just swapping the mufflers?

If they still made it I would sure try the SLP dual dual but that seems to be out as its no longer available. I am guessing their new quietest Powerflo (loudmouth with extra mufflers at tips) is much louder?

For a potential different approach. Has anyone tried to add anything to an existing borla or other cat back to quiet things down? Additional muffler like the PowerFlo's at the tips maybe? I saw Summit and Jegs have an exhaust insert but it only lowers sound by 2 dB, which hardly seems worth the trouble.

I know this is long and appreciate the time you took to read and any help you guys can offer.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Magnaflow Catback or a muffler should square you away.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might just install a bullet in the I-pipe and block the borla completely off. I had this setup with LTs and Cam and it was really quiet. At the same time or later you could then do a e-cutout in the borla and make it louder out on the road and when you pull into the neighborhood close it up.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:04 AM
Staging Lane

Ya those bullet mufflers are pretty well priced and would probably do the trick. When you say install in the I-pipe, I am assuming that is the straight pipe coming off the Y-pipe? Just anywhere between the Y-pipe and prior to it going over the axle?
Old 02-24-2010, 08:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have kooks 1 7/8 headers, 3" hooker y pipe and high flow cats, and a magnaflow cat back and it was too loud for me. I installed a magnaflow resoniator just before the rear axle and it is much quieter now. My wife no longer complains about the sound of the car and when i step on the gas it still has a great sound. I'll try to post a sound clip within the next two days.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

^ That would be great. The resonator, is that same as the Magnaflow bullet then?
Old 02-28-2010, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

I am looking to do the same thing - I have a dynomax muffler set up off of pace setters, magnaflow dual cats, and 3 inch pipe. I am getting old - it is too loud for me now.

I want to quiet down with little/no impact to performance.

Is this the type of "resonator" you are talking about?
http://www.magnaflow.com/02PRODUCT/u...sp?shape=Round

What about this type of cone? Anyone have experience with this?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTC-72-32520/
Old 02-28-2010, 10:44 AM
11 Second Club

Magnaflow bullet #14419 I had two of these on my previous true dual setup. They are baffled with fiberglass packing. This should do the trick for you. Of course, with TD's and a cam they were loud by themselves but sounded really good. Alot of guys use one of these or something similar to replace the resonators on the Loudmouth to tone it down and so far from what I've been reading they really seem to like it as a replacement. This coupled with a your borla muffler closed off should be about what your looking for. Search Magnamouth and you should come up with some threads on that. Here is the bullet: http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/14419/10002/-1
Old 02-28-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

i just got done putting the 14419 magnaflow bullet on my loudmouth and it sounds alot better. not so cheap sounding.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Launching!

Magnaflow too quiet, slp too loud. go with corsa
Old 03-02-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My cam is close to a f14. I run ARH headers/catted Y with a Hooker CB and it IS NOT QUIET. Hooker is very tame stock but really changes with headers and cam....... Just saw you mentioned Hooker in your first post and thought I would give my .02....
Old 03-02-2010, 03:04 PM
12 Second Club

slp loudmouth is not for everybody...i loved it but my neighbors didnt care for it at 5 am when i left for PT...some people run a corsamouth...just something to think on.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

SLP Powerflo
Old 03-02-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

magnaflow round muffler in the I-pipe should help quiet things down,

Originally Posted by mfb_birdman
I saw Summit and Jegs have an exhaust insert but it only lowers sound by 2 dB, which hardly seems worth the trouble.
2 dB drop will cut the sound in half which is not that bad.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:26 AM
Launching!

Yeah 2dB is actually not bad. Decibels are measured on a logarithmic scale so to reduce it from say 100 dB to 98 db would be about a 40% reduction in the sound which is pretty good. For example standing 30 feet from a busy street is 80-90 dB and standing 3ft. from a jackhammer is 100 dB.

How much is the insert? If it's cheaper than a whole new catback I'd go with that.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

What about this type of cone? Anyone have experience with this?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTC-72-32520/[/QUOTE]

Anybody have any experience with this cone product?