Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E Cutout Wiring Pics Requested

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 01:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default E Cutout Wiring Pics Requested

Yes, I did search and I read a bunch of the old ecutout posts, but I wanted to see if anyone had some pics to show me how to get the wire from grommit to console ash tray.

I have 6-speed so I want to put it in the ash tray in between the cupholder and the console storage area. How do I get the wiring from the rear grommit to that area? Is there any worry of the whole console unit pushing down and crimping the wire? Do you fish the wire as far forward as the shifter and fish it through where the 2 cig lighters are? Or do you fish it from behind where the back 2 cupholders & over the airbag sensor box thing? On top of that, I have no clue how you can fish the wire from the grommit to that area, the carpet is pretty much stuck to the floor, no?

The How To that has the pics of the ecutout switch in the driver seat controls was really helpful, but I want to put it in the ash tray and wanted some pics that might show me how to get there. Can anyone help?

Not that it really matters for this, but I bought a QTP Oval.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my power from the cig lighter. Then I ran the wires through the front of the console, under the glove box, down the passenger side of the car under the door trim, and through the grommet under the passenger side rear seat.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Schuby,

now when you say "under the glove box", you mean under the carpeting under the glove box or just behind the storage part of the glove box (the area where sometimes the stuff you put in your glove compartment magically disappears to)?

And did you remove the passenger hinge panel trim and run it along that side? Any worries of crimping the wire?
Old 05-08-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

I ran mine exactly the same way. I had the switch in the ashtray, ran it down under the radio and under the glove box right above your feet and down behind the kick panel, under the floor sill away from the screws and under the back carpet out the hole.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'd recommend running to the ignition wire (Large pink wire running from the ignition harness). My friend had his wired to constant power and it would run his battery down over if left off for a week or so (not sure why). Running to the ignition will only give it power when the car is on or in accessory. I ran my wire from the rear grommet, under the passenger side door sil, up the back side of the kick panel, under the glove box (just remove the glove box and the plastic panel running under it in the passenber side foot well), and then I ran it to the switch (I put mine next to the fog light switch since I have no traction control).
Old 05-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Launching!

my buddy used the stereo power wire !! ... Stereo turn's on only when the key is eqquiped so save the time of ignition wire search & all =}
Old 05-09-2010, 03:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Reaperchild
my buddy used the stereo power wire !! ... Stereo turn's on only when the key is eqquiped so save the time of ignition wire search & all =}
Thats a good idea, just running it to behind the stereo then where the wires hook into the main harness?
Old 05-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
Thats a good idea, just running it to behind the stereo then where the wires hook into the main harness?
Actually my freind spliced the power wire from the connector going to the stereo at the back
Old 05-09-2010, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ah, found my old thread. Here is the pic of what I did for my switch. I think it came out nice.

http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...ad.php?t=54865
Old 05-09-2010, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

I tapped into the tcs for power. I ran the wire from the grommet under the carpet to the console and back out the ashtray. ended up with a bit of excess wire, but it was the easiest way imo.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cigarette lighter has i think a 10 gauge wire, or so my shop said, so they used that.

Oddly enough, my tcs doesn't light up anymore on the switch, only sometimes? lol
Old 05-09-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by phantazn
I tapped into the tcs for power. I ran the wire from the grommet under the carpet to the console and back out the ashtray. ended up with a bit of excess wire, but it was the easiest way imo.
Ok...I got the main wire routed. I went from grommet to beneath the door hinge panel, to the plastic panel thing behind the glove compartment, out to my shifter boot area, and then up to the ash tray. I'll post pics later, as I'm hoping to eventually make this a "Cutout for Dummies" thread with a lotta pics.

However, next chapter. Electrical Wiring. Though I've heard several stories of hooking it to cig lighter and having no issues, I've read enough stories of doing that with problems because the LED is always on to make me look for a switched source. Radio or ASR/TCS switch sound to be the best.

I started, but then the radio doesn't pull out all the way. It's being held by the wiring harness and antenna wire, but since the radio unit only pulls out halfway, I can't see what I'm pulling on and don't want to force it. Is there some tab you push down before pulling the wires out or do you just yank? I have limited hand access too, so it's hard to pull with too much force.

Also, with either of these, does anyone have a wiring diagram to know which line I should splice?
Old 05-09-2010, 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, if I use the TCS switch, this is what I got out of the GMSPO service manuual. Do I use the grey one then?

Connector Part Information
1217-7195
6 Way F Metri-Pack 150 Series (BLK)

Pin
Wire Color
Circuit No.
Function

A
PPL/WHT
Service traction system indicator control

B
BRN
Ignition 3 voltage

C
GRY
Instrument panel lamp supply voltage - 1

D
--
--
Not used

E
BRN/WHT
Traction control switch signal

F
BLK/WHT
Ground
Old 05-10-2010, 12:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, it ended up being the "Brown" wire...except the wire wasn't brown, it was red.

I don't know what gauge the stock wires are, but my guess is 18...I had already assumed 16 and bought that, so I used that to splice the TCS/ASR power wire and Cig lighter ground to the cutout switch.

Anyone know if that's a problem (splicing 18 gauge with 16)...or if stock wires are in fact 18 gauge?

And holy crap, I was scared shitless cutting my car's wires!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

bump

Anyone know if that's a problem (splicing 18 gauge with 16)...or if stock wires are in fact 18 gauge?
Old 05-10-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Reaperchild
That is what I ran mine from.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cyberkill
bump

No problem at all.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Awesome!

Anyone know if the stock wires are 18 gauge or what gauge they are?