Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my borla holding me back any?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my borla holding me back any?

I have an 01 z28 with lts, ory, torquer v.2 cam, lid, stall, etc. And I have a borla adjustable catback. I ran the catback wide open before the cam and lts and it sounded great. But after all the mods it was a little too loud and raspy. So I put in like the second smallest plate and it sounds alot better. But is this greatly affecting my cars performance? Is the borla system holding me back at all in general?
Old 07-04-2010, 12:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

get the e-cutout made for the borla. then you can adjust it to be as loud or as quite as you want. when at the track just open her up all the way. a 3" open exhaust is fine for your power level.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

^^^^^^^^

I agree with jerflash. I have the QTP made for the Borla catbacks. Works like a champ. Its been in for roughly 5 years now. I routed the wiring under the carpet and installed the switch in the ashtray.

I bought it from Thunder Racing.

R/

Frat
Old 07-04-2010, 01:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We just dynoed my car without my Borla dual exit catback to see if the 2.25 pipes were resticting my setup and if so add cut-outs. There was only a 2 rwhp increase with no exhaust... so the answer was it wasn't restictive and no need for cut-outs.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

QTP makes a cutout specifically for the F-Body Borla catback that mounts in the place of the plates. It saves time and effort unless one likes to get behind the car and change them out. I bought mine mainly so that I can quiet the car down when I enter and leave the neighborhood as well as when I happen to be around the always friendly local/state police. Long tubes, Mufflex ORY, and the Borla wide open makes for a rather loud car.

As for whether the smaller plate is affecting his performance..... I am with you.....not by much.

R/

Frat
Old 07-09-2010, 01:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

But what's a better sound, a cutout closer to the Y, or where the Borla plate adjustment is at? Or does it no really matter??

QTP:

Or DMH:

http://www.speedinc.com/catagory.cfm?catagory=Exhaust

Originally Posted by Fratsit
QTP makes a cutout specifically for the F-Body Borla catback that mounts in the place of the plates. It saves time and effort unless one likes to get behind the car and change them out. I bought mine mainly so that I can quiet the car down when I enter and leave the neighborhood as well as when I happen to be around the always friendly local/state police. Long tubes, Mufflex ORY, and the Borla wide open makes for a rather loud car.

As for whether the smaller plate is affecting his performance..... I am with you.....not by much.

R/

Frat

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 07-09-2010 at 02:54 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:46 AM
TECH Addict

So where did you route the wiring into the cabin at?

Originally Posted by Fratsit
^^^^^^^^

I agree with jerflash. I have the QTP made for the Borla catbacks. Works like a champ. Its been in for roughly 5 years now. I routed the wiring under the carpet and installed the switch in the ashtray.

I bought it from Thunder Racing.

R/

Frat
Old 07-09-2010, 06:12 AM
11 Second Club

I ran my cutout where it hooks to the borla and ran it in the I pipe. Made minimal difference in SOTP feel. The borla is pretty free flowing. But closing it up does make it signifcantly quieter.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
So where did you route the wiring into the cabin at?
If you mount it in the I pipe or at the back there are the rubber plugs you can pull the wire through. I did this and never had any leaks from doing it. If you are still worried just put some silicone around the wire where it goes through the grommet.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

What do you mean "AND ran it in the I pipe"? You had an I-pipe cutout too w/QTP there too?

My original question was to determine if the placement of the cutout/diverter/whatever matters much in terms of the quality of the sound?

Originally Posted by LeftySS
I ran my cutout where it hooks to the borla and ran it in the I pipe. Made minimal difference in SOTP feel. The borla is pretty free flowing. But closing it up does make it signifcantly quieter.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Teching In

I have the QTP cut-out for the Borla, and it's great. I have it cranked open most of the time, unless I'm driving around at night and don't want any more attention than I already garner from the po-po. Also running TSP LT's and ORY, the placement of the QTP Borla C/O is great because it blows out the back, so it's incredibly loud but not directly under the cabin. Perfect pick-up.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:33 PM
11 Second Club

I meant I had it in the back where the borla plates mount, for awhile. Then I decided to put it in the I pipe and run the full block off plate with borla. So I have had the cutout in both places and noticed very little SOTP difference. Running a cutout in the I pipe or running the borla wide open are both extremely loud. running a fully close borla is very quite and notice very little power difference open or closed.