Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moroso Spiral Flows Flow?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moroso Spiral Flows Flow?

Im about to order a tsp rumbler x setup and Im thinking the spiral flows would be the best for me since there not as load and they sound good. The only thing Im worried about is the stories Ive read about Spiral flows killing power I've searched there doesn't seem to be any clear cut answer. What im asking is on my car in a tsp true dual system will the spiral flows rob me of power? BTW if its like 5hp I don't care im just concerned about the stories of people losing 30rwhp. Thanks for the help guys
Old 07-07-2010, 08:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Doubt its 30 horsepower, my 98 a4 put down 38x cam only with tsp x pipe and spiral flows.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TA1364
Doubt its 30 horsepower, my 98 a4 put down 38x cam only with tsp x pipe and spiral flows.
How loud is this setup with the spiral flows vs lets say an open cutout? Also does it drag alot?
Old 07-07-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

This isnt' a good video of sound, but I'm the camera car and I have LT's, tru x, with proflow twisters and a CME. Its loud, not as loud as a cutout, but still loud (i'm getting older tho). I can't see that it robs much power, with bolt-ons, on a stingy dyno I put down 336/347 (headers, CAI, tune...M6, 10bolt). I think that is about average for the mods.

BTW it was entertaining...the mustang was trying to nag the vette into a little street race, then you will see once he saw what the vette had, he quit (BTW that vette makes 505rwhp + 200 shot).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw4au0f9h0k
Old 07-07-2010, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pharmd
This isnt' a good video of sound, but I'm the camera car and I have LT's, tru x, with proflow twisters and a CME. Its loud, not as loud as a cutout, but still loud (i'm getting older tho). I can't see that it robs much power, with bolt-ons, on a stingy dyno I put down 336/347 (headers, CAI, tune...M6, 10bolt). I think that is about average for the mods.

BTW it was entertaining...the mustang was trying to nag the vette into a little street race, then you will see once he saw what the vette had, he quit (BTW that vette makes 505rwhp + 200 shot).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw4au0f9h0k
I just went ahead and placed an order a texas speed for a rumbler x with moroso spiral flow mufflers.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mtuggle86
How loud is this setup with the spiral flows vs lets say an open cutout? Also does it drag alot?
I have had cutouts before, this setup is a lot quieter. Mine drags every once and a while.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:09 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Out of all the bullet style mufflers, the Moroso's are definitely my least favorite. Several of my customers swap over to the bullets from the Moroso's because they don't like the sound either. Bullets or 2 chamber flowmasters sound way better IMO.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is my car with TSP Duals and the Dynomax Bullets on it. It's loud and deep enough to set off car alarms, and screams bloody murder up high as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfJ_dNQe4G0
Old 07-08-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RikkiTorment
This is my car with TSP Duals and the Dynomax Bullets on it. It's loud and deep enough to set off car alarms, and screams bloody murder up high as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfJ_dNQe4G0
It sounds ok But I think the Sweet thunders or the spiral flows are more what Im looking for

Last edited by mtuggle86; 07-09-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I still haven't found a clear cut answer as top If the Spiral Flows flow good enough to not be an issue in a true dual setup at my power level. Do they only cause a bottleneck in systems that only use one of them?
Old 07-10-2010, 09:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked out POWERSTICKS?
They are cheap and sound great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmn9pYdoWd4

Now I actually just added two 3" Thunderbolt cats to it two days ago.

Has ZERO rasp, and sounds *****-deep.
Toned it down so it's not so ******* loud, and I actually am really happy with it.
I'll have to get another video with the cats added.
-Matt

EDIT: I was in the same boat you're in with Spiral flows at one time.
I found a few people on these boards and other's saying they gained at least 15WHP once they switched from spiral flows.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MattxFatal
Have you checked out POWERSTICKS?
They are cheap and sound great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmn9pYdoWd4

Now I actually just added two 3" Thunderbolt cats to it two days ago.

Has ZERO rasp, and sounds *****-deep.
Toned it down so it's not so ******* loud, and I actually am really happy with it.
I'll have to get another video with the cats added.
-Matt

EDIT: I was in the same boat you're in with Spiral flows at one time.
I found a few people on these boards and other's saying they gained at least 15WHP once they switched from spiral flows.
Those sound good how do they flow? Im sure the spiral flow chokes the exhaust if you have a y flowing into a single spiral flow. The thing Im not sure on is in a true dual setup where there only flowing for 4 cylinders. Moroso claims they flow 850cfm witch is more them enough flow for my engine since it should only need around 1000 cfm of exhaust flow. But yet people still say they kill power I dont get it. Maybe I should just send them back and get sweet thunders instead
Old 07-10-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mtuggle86
Those sound good how do they flow? Im sure the spiral flow chokes the exhaust if you have a y flowing into a single spiral flow. The thing Im not sure on is in a true dual setup where there only flowing for 4 cylinders. Moroso claims they flow 850cfm witch is more them enough flow for my engine since it should only need around 1000 cfm of exhaust flow. But yet people still say they kill power I dont get it. Maybe I should just send them back and get sweet thunders instead
I have no complaints about flow.
I have a single POWERSTICK in place of the I-pipe, and it's dumped right after that.

Here are some pictures to give you an idea about how little these should affect flow.

Sweet thunders:

POWERSTICK:

Spiral flow:

As you can see there is not a whole lot hurting it from flowing straight through.
The ridges in the sweet thunder's is much more pronounced than that of the POWERSTICK.
Strange part is, the spiral flow's ridges are even less than the sweet thunder's.

Maybe the reason the spiral flow sucks on flow so much is because they're are more ridges with a twist perhaps...?
I have no data or theory to back this up, as I'm talking out my ***.
However I have not really lost power due to the flow in my powersticks.
And I do know that people have with Spiral flows.
Not sure what else to tell you.
Powersticks are also really cheap to come by.
-Matt
Old 07-10-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MattxFatal
I have no complaints about flow.
I have a single POWERSTICK in place of the I-pipe, and it's dumped right after that.

Here are some pictures to give you an idea about how little these should affect flow.

Sweet thunders:

POWERSTICK:

Spiral flow:

As you can see there is not a whole lot hurting it from flowing straight through.
The ridges in the sweet thunder's is much more pronounced than that of the POWERSTICK.
Strange part is, the spiral flow's ridges are even less than the sweet thunder's.

Maybe the reason the spiral flow sucks on flow so much is because they're are more ridges with a twist perhaps...?
I have no data or theory to back this up, as I'm talking out my ***.
However I have not really lost power due to the flow in my powersticks.
And I do know that people have with Spiral flows.
Not sure what else to tell you.
Powersticks are also really cheap to come by.
-Matt
Thats not the right spiral flows heres the moroso ones. There still able to flow 850 cfm each moroso says so I cant see why people would lose power from them with true duals. Im getting the feeling only peps who have the y-pipe into a single moroso spiral flow setup lose power.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I removed my whole exhaust up to the headers to see if the 2.75 inch pipe was limiting me. After a short test drive it seems as though it was eating a nice chunk of power.

Any guess on how much power I was losing because of the stock 2.75 inch I-pipe?

Last edited by mtuggle86; 07-10-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This is the inside of a 3 inch Dynomax Bullet for comparison....

Quick Reply: Moroso Spiral Flows Flow?