Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going for a really cheap exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 03:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going for a really cheap exhaust system

So im planning to keep the stock headers, cats, and y pipe for now, but im wanting to go a little bit louder then the stock exhaust setup, so im thinking of just buying a single bullet muffler cutting it from the i pipe and just clamping it down and dumping it before the axle.

But my question would be to you guys is that what is your opinion on what muffler I should get, and is the stock I pipe diameter 2.75?

I know there is a exhaust thread, but im needing your guys opinion. I was thinking about Spiral Flow muffler, not to loud nor to quite.

Thanks
Old 09-22-2010, 03:52 PM
12 Second Club

SLP LoudMouth 1..i have it on stock stuff and i love it..i mean its gonna be kinda loud but no one has complained to me about it..i have people tell me it sounds good..heres the video of my car on the dyno to help you out with the sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0dDbD3KO_E
Old 09-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

Is it just the bullet muffler? Or the whole catback?
Old 09-22-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man, I know you don't want to spend a bunch of money right now. But honestly, if you hold out for a bit and save up some cash to get full exhaust from the headers back, you will be a lot more happy then what you are wanting to do now. Of course it's your car, so do what you want to do. This is just my .02 cents.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KevinR
Man, I know you don't want to spend a bunch of money right now. But honestly, if you hold out for a bit and save up some cash to get full exhaust from the headers back, you will be a lot more happy then what you are wanting to do now. Of course it's your car, so do what you want to do. This is just my .02 cents.

I know what you are trying to say because this is what I first thought of. But for me I really hate the stock muffler just because it so restrictive and too quite, and I told myself, why not just buy a bullet muffler and clamp it before the axle and call it a day?

Overall the price should be about 60+ and thus having a better flowing/louder exhaust. THEN now save up and get a full exhaust. i think the 60 dollar is well spent from the time I should be getting a better exhaust. but I respect that.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Befwazie
I know what you are trying to say because this is what I first thought of. But for me I really hate the stock muffler just because it so restrictive and too quite, and I told myself, why not just buy a bullet muffler and clamp it before the axle and call it a day?

Overall the price should be about 60+ and thus having a better flowing/louder exhaust. THEN now save up and get a full exhaust. i think the 60 dollar is well spent from the time I should be getting a better exhaust. but I respect that.
I'm with ya on this one. I didn't know you were talking about a temporary fix.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Dumping it before the axle is going to make the back end look bad without the tailpipes. The Trans Am bumper needs tailpipes to complete it imo. It will also drone a lot inside the car, and its novelty will wear off after a couple days of driving it. If I were you, I'd spend the extra for a catback and leave it there for now.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it'll sound really good dumped, especially coming off the stock y-pipe. Why not just replace the stock muffler in the back with a y-split, then a bullet before each tip?
Old 09-22-2010, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Element
I don't think it'll sound really good dumped, especially coming off the stock y-pipe. Why not just replace the stock muffler in the back with a y-split, then a bullet before each tip?
**** like I mean I don't have that money yet to get a full exhaust, I just want something that is louder for now, Eventually I will get a better exhaust.

Right now I have nothing else to do with my car, its basically on hold on performance parts after winter then I would have money to blow.

But other then that I didn't know that dumping bullets before the axle was bad
Old 09-22-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

get an electric cutout. you can make it as loud as you want.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

**** like I mean I don't have that money yet to get a full exhaust, I just want something that is louder for now, Eventually I will get a better exhaust.

Right now I have nothing else to do with my car, its basically on hold on performance parts after winter then I would have money to blow.

But other then that I didn't know that dumping bullets before the axle was bad
It's really not "full exhaust", you'd just be replacing the stock muffler with two bullets (they're pretty cheap) and a little pipe...shouldn't cost more than $125 to do that, with parts.

Dumping bullets before the axle is pretty common with duals, I just think it sounds weird dumping a single-pipe setup, especially on stock manifolds.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Element
It's really not "full exhaust", you'd just be replacing the stock muffler with two bullets (they're pretty cheap) and a little pipe...shouldn't cost more than $125 to do that, with parts.

Dumping bullets before the axle is pretty common with duals, I just think it sounds weird dumping a single-pipe setup, especially on stock manifolds.
Yea I know what a full exhaust is, I meant that I will actually get a "Full exhaust" after winter. Headers, Y, cats, the whole nine yards, I just want something louder.

And as for a single y this is how it would farily sounds like, Not exactly maybe quiter with the stock setup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYhKo5coDNI
(Forum member's car)
Old 09-22-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey OP, what else is done to the car? Do you already have bolt ons or are you wanting to start with the exhaust? If you don't have any bolt ons, then you may want to start there.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would go cutout, I had it with stock manifolds, sounded good. Now that i have headers and a cam, it sounds great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEHBzZbXJpo
Old 09-22-2010, 08:47 PM
12 Second Club

no...its the full cat back
Old 09-22-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea I know what a full exhaust is, I meant that I will actually get a "Full exhaust" after winter. Headers, Y, cats, the whole nine yards, I just want something louder.

And as for a single y this is how it would farily sounds like, Not exactly maybe quiter with the stock setup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYhKo5coDNI
(Forum member's car)
That's why I was suggesting bullets in the back, it'd be a pretty cheap setup, would be louder than stock, wouldn't be too expensive, and if you decide to go with duals (or hell, even if you stuck with a single pipe setup) you'd already have your mufflers to use for the full system.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

Okay, im just going to go with an e-cutout, on the I-pipe,

What is the correct sizing for it to fit?
Old 09-23-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Regular

cheap and best power is TSP rumbler just like a SLP LM minus the stainless steal and tips. May even be able to get a custom setup like that using a different bullet muffler at a local exhaust shop for slightly cheaper.