Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JET-HOT not honoring warranty JET HOT

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 11:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default JET-HOT not honoring warranty JET HOT

Pictures speak for themselves. Driver side rusted thru in front of the clamp area and the pass side rusted thru behind the clamp area. I am being told over the phone that they will not fix? One of the reasons I bought jet hot was the warranty... Tried emailing a few people at jet hot but I think they are ignoring me?

Any advice?
Attached Thumbnails JET-HOT not honoring warranty JET HOT-warranty.jpg   JET-HOT not honoring warranty JET HOT-drive.jpg   JET-HOT not honoring warranty JET HOT-pass.jpg  
Old 10-10-2010, 02:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine are peeling / rusting from the outside, I bought
them used without any paperwork so I expect nothing.
But I bet the coating is holding up so poorly that they
are just giving up on reputation rather than giving up
cash.

Nowadays you can get stainless for cheaper anyway.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

how old is that?

ask to speak to a supervisor and threaten to call the BBB.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out post #8 of the following thread...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...questions.html

It may not be give you the results you would like, but it is another avenue to explore.

I would send JET HOT a PM. Well... multiple PMs, until they decide they ARE going to honor their Warranty.

Also, it'd be great if you keep this thread updated.

I have JET HOT LTs/Y-pipe on my car and have helped install sets in two other F-bodies as well. I'd really like to see how they decide to handle this situation before I'm in the same boat with the exhaust rotting off my car.

Good luck, man.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
how old is that?
ask to speak to a supervisor and threaten to call the BBB.
Its from early spring 2007, I will be doing several things if they continue to refuse to honor the warranty
Old 10-10-2010, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Check out post #8 of the following thread...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...questions.html

It may not be give you the results you would like, but it is another avenue to explore.

I would send JET HOT a PM. Well... multiple PMs, until they decide they ARE going to honor their Warranty.

Also, it'd be great if you keep this thread updated.

I have JET HOT LTs/Y-pipe on my car and have helped install sets in two other F-bodies as well. I'd really like to see how they decide to handle this situation before I'm in the same boat with the exhaust rotting off my car.

Good luck, man.
I emailed chris@jet-hot.com and Kevin@Jet-Hot.com last week but I have not heard back from them.

The really bad thing if your coating comes off and your past the coating warranty and then they rust off you are out of luck if they will not honor the lifetime rust warranty...
Old 10-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Launching!

bump for advise
Old 10-11-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by y2kmaroonz
bump for advise
What advise? Are you past the three years original purchase date? If not, call the CEO/President and if no satisfaction then small claims court it is. That's pretty much all you can do short of wearing a sandwich board expressing how angry you are and marching in front of their headquarters.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That warranty states that there is a lifetime warranty if the item is coated on both sides, and the metal underneath the coating rusts through. What are they telling you on the phone when you call. You haven't been very clear on how they are turning you down, or what their argument is.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wav3form
What advise? Are you past the three years original purchase date? If not, call the CEO/President and if no satisfaction then small claims court it is. That's pretty much all you can do short of wearing a sandwich board expressing how angry you are and marching in front of their headquarters.
Thanks for the advise, The 3 years was on the coating I have a lifetime rust through on the headers and y-pipe.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jimmy P
That warranty states that there is a lifetime warranty if the item is coated on both sides, and the metal underneath the coating rusts through. What are they telling you on the phone when you call. You haven't been very clear on how they are turning you down, or what their argument is.
They are telling me that they are not going to do anything about it, its that simple on their end I guess... Its a no-nonsense simple warranty that they feel they don't have to honor...
Old 10-12-2010, 09:17 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

if you went to the track once, or ever roll raced another vehicle, or even put your car on the dyno....
its voided

http://www.jet-hot.com.au/guarantee_memo.htm

JET-HOT Guarantee will not apply if there is obvious physical abuse of the coating, modification, welding of the components or when used for competitive racing of Motor Vehicles such as cars, motorcycles and boats, but not limited to these descriptions.

and you have track times....so that voids your warranty..
Old 10-12-2010, 09:46 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by soundengineer
if you went to the track once, or ever roll raced another vehicle, or even put your car on the dyno....
its voided

JET-HOT Guarantee will not apply if there is obvious physical abuse of the coating, modification, welding of the components or when used for competitive racing of Motor Vehicles such as cars, motorcycles and boats, but not limited to these descriptions.

thats not competitive racing IMO. If I go to test n tune night thats not the same as being in a league or series of events which is what I can only assume they are meaning. Dyno? How the hell could that possibly hurt their coatings?
Old 10-12-2010, 09:58 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by janaka
thats not competitive racing IMO. If I go to test n tune night thats not the same as being in a league or series of events which is what I can only assume they are meaning. Dyno? How the hell could that possibly hurt their coatings?

it doesnt have to be "your" opinion... if they find it to be competitive, then it voids your warranty..

test and tune is still considered competitive...
even if you are not racing for a prize, you are still racing

One Race is still competitive by definition

the dyno is a tool used to determine and dial in performance... which is used for competitive reasons....

if you want to get down to it, the law allows them to determine the exact things they deem as competitive....

which is unfortunate for many end users...
it doesnt make it right..it just makes it the cold hard facts..which sucks.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:06 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by y2kmaroonz

Any advice?
Buy Stainless steel Headers

In the Future...
Dont Assume you will be able to replace them under warranty because your reading of their one page mailer warranty may not match their full definition of some of the terms in the legally documented warranty.
companies typically carry detailed warranty info, they typically ship out a minimalistic sheet of paper about the warranty because shipping a 42 page document would be too expensive.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So lesson is, don't buy "race only" parts with a "no
racing" warranty. Which is unfortunately not entirely
uncommon. But go figure, someone who will lie to you
(er, engage in selective reporting of performance gain)
at the front would lie to you at the back as well. That
is the automotive performance aftermarket in a nutshell.
Certain exclusions may apply.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:13 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
So lesson is, don't buy "race only" parts with a "no
racing" warranty. Which is unfortunately not entirely
uncommon. But go figure, someone who will lie to you
(er, engage in selective reporting of performance gain)
at the front would lie to you at the back as well. That
is the automotive performance aftermarket in a nutshell.
Certain exclusions may apply.

well said Jimy...

the only warranty I expect is that the parts show up at my door and in the condition described to me in the sales ad as I paid for it.

beyond that...there is no warranty.
I will always ask the manufacturer if they will warranty something if it breaks, but I dont expect it to be covered automatically.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John...

You should explain to everyone as you did in the PM you sent me, that JET HOT has already fixed these headers once under warranty.

its voided

If this is case, why would the warranty suddenly be voided the second time around?

Dont Assume you will be able to replace them under warranty because your reading of their one page mailer warranty may not match their full definition of some of the terms in the legally documented warranty.
companies typically carry detailed warranty info, they typically ship out a minimalistic sheet of paper about the warranty because shipping a 42 page document would be too expensive.
I generally agree with what you're saying about warranties on performance parts, but a business is still responsible, and should be held responsible, for the type of product is produces. Despite any warranty, disclaimer, or any other legal BS, they should have a little pride in the what they're bringing to the market and be willing to stand behind it when something goes wrong.

In this situation, I believe jimmyblue hit the nail on the head in his first post.

...I bet the coating is holding up so poorly that they are just giving up on reputation rather than giving up
cash.
Long story short, JET HOT is on a down hill slide.

Nowadays you can get stainless for cheaper anyway.
Buy Stainless steel Headers
Agreed.

That will most definitely be the route I take on my next set of LTs.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

y2kmaroonz,

The posts above are all individuals' opinions. Soundengineer's statement that guarantors of a warranty can retroactively set definitions of subjective terms in order to deny warranty coverage is false. With that in mind:

Manufacturers are indeed liable for warranties (expressed and implied--i.e. "satisfaction guaranteed") offered at time of purchase. Conditions may be set at that time as well, and the warranty is contingent on the consumer abiding by those conditions. This is, clearly, an expressed warranty. In circumstances where warranty service is denied due to negligence by the consumer, or failure to abide by the aforementioned conditions, the burden of proof lies with the guarantor offering the warranty (See the Magnuson-Moss Act for more information).

Based on the most recent post, I obviously don't have all the facts, but based on the information you've provided thus far, you are entitled to the corrosion warranty mentioned. It's simply a matter of how much it's worth to you to pursue it. If the company is going belly up, you may be wasting your time, but if you took them to court, the manufacturer would be required to prove that you, through unreasonable abuse or violation of unambiguous conditions set at time of purchase, caused the damage.

That's just what I know on the subject. Not legal advice, but hopefully helpful.

Last edited by nmbr5ml; 10-12-2010 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Misspelled Magnuson--fixed
Old 10-12-2010, 05:43 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by nmbr5ml
y2kmaroonz,

The posts above are all individuals' opinions. Soundengineer's statement that guarantors of a warranty can retroactively set definitions of subjective terms in order to deny warranty coverage is false. With that in mind:

Manufacturers are indeed liable for warranties (expressed and implied--i.e. "satisfaction guaranteed") offered at time of purchase. Conditions may be set at that time as well, and the warranty is contingent on the consumer abiding by those conditions. This is, clearly, an expressed warranty. In circumstances where warranty service is denied due to negligence by the consumer, or failure to abide by the aforementioned conditions, the burden of proof lies with the guarantor offering the warranty (See the Magnussen-Moss Act for more information).

Based on the most recent post, I obviously don't have all the facts, but based on the information you've provided thus far, you are entitled to the corrosion warranty mentioned. It's simply a matter of how much it's worth to you to pursue it. If the company is going belly up, you may be wasting your time, but if you took them to court, the manufacturer would be required to prove that you, through unreasonable abuse or violation of unambiguous conditions set at time of purchase, caused the damage.

That's just what I know on the subject. Not legal advice, but hopefully helpful.
I didnt say they could change it,.. I said they could set it...and that they most likely have a large legal document that they keep on file that defines every little detail...including what they consider to be the section I highlighted.
just because they only send a simple sheet of paper out in the email with their product does not mean that it is the actual warranty documentation in full.

example being.. I make a product.. and I sell it..I can set the terms under which I will warrant the repair or replacement of the item, and conversely the terms that I will deny warranty repair or replacement of an item.
simple example... If my product should be Damaged by combustible processes(Fire) then I wont repair or replace the product under warranty.
I can set that and I can deny warranty for that..

I am not taking their side... I think it sucks, but I do believe in being fair, and if their warranty documentation shows that the OP did anything that would be considered a void to that warranty, then they dont have to do a thing.
if they classify a trip down the drag strip as racing, then they can void his warranty for it.
the truth is that the company can determine what they will repair under warranty or not.
it does not mean that you cant challenge it and take them to court over if you desire... you can always try to go over their heads with the help of legal methods...its probably not worth it in this case as it would most likely cost you way more for a lawyer to deal with this than just buying different headers.

Last edited by soundengineer; 10-12-2010 at 05:49 PM.

Quick Reply: JET-HOT not honoring warranty JET HOT