Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 02:57 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alternator DIY?

Just wanted to make sure since I don't wrench much, but to replace an alternator I just undo the bolt for the pulley, and then the two long bolts that hold it onto the bracket, then reverse the steps to put in the new one, right? I don't have to disconnect the battery or anything like that?

I'm almost sure its the alternator because I was driving on the expressway and my lights were dim for a while, then I thought nothing of it (silly me) but later my car wouldn't start. It started on its own after a few hours somehow, then I drove for a few minutes... the lights dimmed, my radio turned off and it died again. Friend jumped the battery, moved for about 10 feet and the car lurched then died.

Alternator, right? Any fuses or wires I should check for corrosion? I tried looking on install university but couldn't find the main ground cable
Old 10-24-2010, 03:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ALWAYS DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFORE WORKING ON ELECTRICAL. YOU WILL GET SHOCKED.

There is also a small bracket behind the alternator that you will have to unbolt. Have your battery checked at an autozone or something, they do it for free. Make sure to disconnect the plug for the alternator before moving it since the wire is stretched all the way, it will break if you're not careful.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:24 AM
Launching!

Thanks! Will keep that in mind.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Launching!

Hmm.... I've having trouble with a few things. I'm not sure where that bracket is, maybe today I'll be less pissed off and be able to find it. I'm having trouble unplugging that plug for the alternator (it's just pushing in the tab and pulling it off, right? awkward positioning) I tried reaching from underneath the car, with my arm from the front of the car, with my hand back over the alternator. Is it easier to pull the plug from the top cause I couldn't even get my scrawny forearm down there.

Another thing is the positive cable just spins with the nut, I think they're stuck together. I loosened it to where it got easier to spin (I could turn the nut/wire back and forth with just my hand) BUT at one point it seemingly gets stuck, even when using the ratchet and it looked like and felt like the wire was stretching so I didn't wanna overdo it.

So far, I took out the two long bolts that go through the alternator mount, and I got the shorter one that's on the back of it. That back bolt actually wasn't too bad... but now I need help.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Staging Lane

Hmm... The alternator and the water pump are the only two things I have had to change on my car in 220,000 miles lol. I did the alternator not too long ago. Wish I could remember more about what "tricks" I ended up doing. I think I got the alternator loose and "dangling" before I tried to remove the wires because I couldn't get them off otherwise. That's about all I can offer right now.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:27 AM
Launching!

Lucky me, huh?

I tried driving it home and it ended up killing the battery too. It was stupid, but the car was parked in a not-so-nice area and I couldn't be bothered to get it towed.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Definately unplug the alternator first, I forgot to do this and ending up having to repin the connector which isnt fun. In the process I also added 6 inches of wiring to harness to prevent this from happening in the future.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Launching!

How did you unplug the connector though? From the top? I tried from the bottom, maybe I need to slither my hand through a different way.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

while under the car, dislodge the alternator with your main arm and keep a good hold on it when it comes loose, unplug the connector with remaining hand. done it twice now. there is enough slack to do this without worry. drop the alternator though...
Old 10-27-2010, 02:21 PM
Launching!

Got it... Almost! Connector is off (only one pin... Right?) but the positive cable is still spinning. I can't get a wrench over the bottom nut. So frustrating
Old 10-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Ok now I'm scared. I kept on loosening it, but the positive battery cable is starting to bind and wrap around itself. Will it snap if it gets pinched too much?

I need to get this crap done already.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Turd Gen Guy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i believe the threaded end that goes inside the alternator is spinning too instaed of just the nut. try holding the cable and turning the nut.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Launching!

Ok. I got ot out. Thanks foro all the tips guys. My first alternator removal, lol

now to put the damn thing in.

Again, does the connector only have one pin? I hope I didn't rip any out...
Old 10-27-2010, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

Yes only one pin, be careful! I ripped mine out not too long ago and had to wait a week to get a new one shipped.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AnnivSS
Definately unplug the alternator first, I forgot to do this and ending up having to repin the connector which isnt fun. In the process I also added 6 inches of wiring to harness to prevent this from happening in the future.
same here...cept i didnt repin the connector...ironically, the alt connector on a 3.1 monte carlo is the same.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by bww3588
same here...cept i didnt repin the connector...ironically, the alt connector on a 3.1 monte carlo is the same.
I did mine at 11:30am on a sunday, I was screwed for buying parts lol.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:21 PM
wum
Teching In

sorry to dig up an old thread, but I removed the alternator and when I tried reinstalling it, I didn't find anything that the small 13 mm back bolt connected to. I connected the large battery cable to the alternator at attaches near the bracket (near the top of the alternator). But what connects to the bolt at the back of the alternator? Am I missing something? I tried connecting a wire to it b/c there was a loose wire and when I tried hooking up the battery I got a lot of sparks! Thanks in advance for any help!

Quick Reply: Alternator DIY?