Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowmaster vs magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 11:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flowmaster vs magnaflow

I'm getting true duals in a few days and I'm wondering what would sound more muscle car like flowmaster or magnaflow?

I'm sick of hearing my motor over my exhaust it's annoying and I wanna be heard but not loud I just want to be able to notice a difference at idle
Old 12-29-2010, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds wise, their not comparable. I own a magnaflow exhaust system with an ory pipe and long tube headers and my exhaust is very quiet at idle, but opens up when accelerating hard. I personally don't care for flow masters but if you want the loudest out of the too it would be the flowmaster.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

if your running true duals, i know the flowmaster 1 chambers are popular. I just got rid of my magnaflow for a TSP true duals with dynomax bullets and ****** love it. Its not too loud honestly. Hardly no drone. Sounds sick.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:53 PM
Teching In

well i have had both flowmaster and magnaflow from my experience flowmaster has a louder idle and its a lot more scandalous on top end on the other hand agnaflow has a quiet idle and on top end its loud and it just sounds crazy they are both bad *** but im now runing magnaflo
Old 12-30-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you like not being able to hold a conversation in the car while cruising or driving then get the dronemasters.....

I like magnaflow or any straight thru muff design... I don't like the idea of having a baffle(s) or anything impeading the exhaust flow going out the system....

Bozz
Old 12-30-2010, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have heard the dynomax bullets , my friend had some spiral flows I think they were called Texas speed has them on one of there kits I think and they have a nice tone without being too loud and they sound good also you could get 2 slp lm2 mufflers. The magnaflow catback is.popular but I don't know anyone who runs true dials with them.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Flowmaster is THE muscle car sound. They do drone and thats one of their only bad qualities. However, they make more then just one kind of muffler, so you can choose exactly how much sound you want, or don't want. This, is pure sex:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcZGEd0AYDE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNmnW...eature=related
Old 12-30-2010, 12:22 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
If you like not being able to hold a conversation in the car while cruising or driving then get the dronemasters.....

I like magnaflow or any straight thru muff design... I don't like the idea of having a baffle(s) or anything impeading the exhaust flow going out the system....

Bozz
I agree I've got true du magnaflows on my truck and like them way better than the 40 series flowmasters I had on before
Old 12-30-2010, 01:03 AM
11 Second Club

Will the magnaflow sound better at idle the stock exhaust??
Old 12-30-2010, 01:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

I thought it was gonna be too loud inside the car with my True duals with dynomax bullets dumped. But surprisingly it is not loud at all inside. I am able to carry a conversation also. Barely any drone, or rasp.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
Barely any drone, or rasp.
You stand outside, and have someone else drive your car. Listen with an open mind. Most bullets are raspy as hell.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:37 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Justinktm
Will the magnaflow sound better at idle the stock exhaust??
If you've got long tubes then yes it will be louder at idle. When I put my magnaflow on with stock ypipe and manifolds it was louder
Old 12-30-2010, 10:10 AM
12 Second Club

Magnaflow FTW. Flowmaster is to loud for my liking. The magnaflow sounds nice and quiet at idle and really has a good drone once you open it up in the upper RPM's.

Tyler, fix your "sig" lol
Old 12-30-2010, 10:35 AM
11 Second Club

Flowmasters are louder than Magnaflow, but IMO Magnaflows sound quality is a lot better and it sounds great at WOT
Old 12-30-2010, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

i run magnaflow bullets in my true dual setup. loud and agressiveoutside but quite in the car.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I will say this I have had Magnaflow,Hooker Maxflow,Flo Pro's and flowmaster....

The Magnaflow,Hooker Maxflow,and Flo Pro's are all the same design basically
straight thru design.... with a perforated tube..... no baffles to echo or resignate the sound waves..... Or backpressure as dronemaster toughts...WTF

They all were easy at idle, normal grown crusing, but not unbearable.... Not cop bait, did not have to turn the radio up to 30 out of 35 to listen to my music or damn near yell on the freeway when on the phone or talking to someone riding with me... But at wot, they would sing and sing loud, but thats what I want, something cool at idle and crusing but when you punch it, it sings.... and yes it is a more raspier sound at wot vs deep bass....

The flowmasters were horrible...... I bought the car and the guy had the 50 series, which was not too bad, but still loud and 3 chamber baffles..... Can we say power killer.....

I took the dronemasters off and used the Hookers Maxflows, then when I upgraded to 3" pipe the Flo Pros... I had the Magnaflows on another car.....
But when I upgraded to the 3" pipe my exhaust guy said to try out the dronemasters Super 44's and I said nall bro... but they did not have but one 3" Flo Pro in at the time, so I said ok.... I drove that **** one day and was ready for those MOFOZ to come off..... Loud, too much drone, could not hear myself think or the radio, or my wife..... So I went back the next day and told him we got to do something, so I they found another 3" flo Pro accross town and I waited until it came to get those dronemasters off........

I guess I am old school beacuse we never picked muscle car sound based from the muffs, but the cam....... I let the cam do the talking not the muffs...

Bozz
Old 12-30-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Regular

will you have an x pipe? if so it will clear up drone also and makes true duals sound ten times cleaner in my opinion. i have a 91 chevy with 10 series/ single chamber flows with an x pipe and it sounds quiet at idle but after 3500 rpm it starts screaming .
Old 12-30-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
You stand outside, and have someone else drive your car. Listen with an open mind. Most bullets are raspy as hell.
Im tellin you man, there is hardly any drone or rasp at all inside the cabin. Loudmouth for sure is raspy and all sorts of drone. I have been really surprised with my dynomax bullets honestly. I can carry a conversation no problem. cruising speeds, its actually pretty mellow.

After i installed it, i was scared to start it because i thought it would be too loud, but it really isnt. Lontubes and ory and LM1 is alot louder than a true dual setup.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:44 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
x2 got magnaflow bullet and cant stand it, gonna do a dump and see if that works
Old 12-31-2010, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...pointment.html

Quick Reply: Flowmaster vs magnaflow