Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catback help..

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catback help..

okay, first of all, I have picked out the bbk headers and 2.5 ory to get this spring... keep that in mind. my car is also an a4.

I'm looking for a catback that would give me a decent amount of sound volume around 2500 rpms or so... I guess this stems from my absolute hatred for seeing an a4 car go by and hearing no sound after it passes. I currently have a Flowmaster (40 series?), and I don't really have the rumble I'm looking for. I find myself driving around in 2nd and 3rd gear sometimes to get the sound where I like it. I don't really like the idea of having a loudmouth exhaust with lts and no cats either. I thought maybe a cutout, but I honestly don't know where to even begin with that. thanks in advance for the help.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron Fist
okay, first of all, I have picked out the bbk headers and 2.5 ory to get this spring... keep that in mind. my car is also an a4.

I'm looking for a catback that would give me a decent amount of sound volume around 2500 rpms or so... I guess this stems from my absolute hatred for seeing an a4 car go by and hearing no sound after it passes. I currently have a Flowmaster (40 series?), and I don't really have the rumble I'm looking for. I find myself driving around in 2nd and 3rd gear sometimes to get the sound where I like it. I don't really like the idea of having a loudmouth exhaust with lts and no cats either. I thought maybe a cutout, but I honestly don't know where to even begin with that. thanks in advance for the help.
I have LTs, TSP Catted Y with a 40 series. I am in the same boat you are so I am installing a lm1 on monday. Ill let you know how it sounds. From what I hear without cats its too raspy.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
I have LTs, TSP Catted Y with a 40 series. I am in the same boat you are so I am installing a lm1 on monday. Ill let you know how it sounds. From what I hear without cats its too raspy.
that'd be great, thanks!
Old 03-18-2011, 02:56 PM
Teching In

anybody else?
Old 03-18-2011, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

true duals? or are you trying to keep the catback and just switch out the muffler?
Old 03-18-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either go TSP Duals or hooker catback!! Alot of people will say magnaflow, but i wasnt impressed with it and i switched to duals. So much better. Hooker has a deep, and muscular rumble sound.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RoidedSS
true duals? or are you trying to keep the catback and just switch out the muffler?
I was planning on doing a whole new catback when I get my new longtubes installed. I am definitely shying away TDs though because I want to get the car lowered, and I live in central Il where the roads are ****.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the "factory" SLP CME catback and I guarantee you there's
some sound coming out. If you can't hear the car, blame the cats
and the cam.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ya i'm from chicago, i'm running the flowmaster catback with the 40 series muffler on it...pacesetters LT's just got here, along with the dump. the cops around me suck so anything louder than a honda gets pulled over lol. I would go on youtube and look at some videos of different catback systems to get an idea. also, there should be a 'sticky' of ls1sounds
Old 03-26-2011, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Iron Fist
that'd be great, thanks!
Just finished the car. Posted a review in this section
Old 03-27-2011, 04:15 AM
Captain Double Post

Honest if your looking for loud,and looking to keep a cheap budget,you can pick up a lm1 for under 140,I can't even sell the one I have and I'm pretty much giving it away lol,and if it ever was to much throw a borla xr1,or magnaflow bullet in there and it sounds much better,
Old 03-27-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

Check out LS1sounds.com. You will find many different header/y-pipe/catback setups so you can hear how each will sound with its counterparts