Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worst thing that could happen??

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Worst thing that could happen??

So in the middle of the cam/head/intake/headers swap and here is the issue.

When I was unbolting all the original items I was sorting all the bolts in bins and bowls on my shop bench. You can see where this is going...... and my punk *** nephew decided to move some stuff around so that everything would match in each bowl so now my bolts are all messed up.

Is there a link or diagram for the bolts on an ls1 engine that will inform me on what bolts go where. I only have about 12-15 of them that I am really unsure of where they go. The ground wires for the back of the heads along with the bracket bolt is where I stopped and noticed thay were wrong.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:53 AM
TECH Veteran

It's pretty simple, but if it's your first time it's easy to get confused. Head bolts have two shorter ones that go in the front and rear of the heads on each side, for one. Did you get the heads off yet or no? Said you were disconnecting the driver's side grounds. I could go take pictures of some if you want.

Maybe check here and see if you can recognize any of them.
http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=2
Old 04-11-2011, 08:54 AM
12 Second Club

Without reading the post, the worst thing that can happen in most situations is death. So, worst case scenario, you die from whatever I am about to read.

Update Edit: I am not sure how likely it is you will die from that. So, one can safely assume it could always be worse. In your case you may just have to check around. Post some pictures of said bolts? Maybe people can identify them? Likely you will just have to scour the internet.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

Thats almost close to the respone I thought I was going to get from someone.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
It's pretty simple, but if it's your first time it's easy to get confused. Head bolts have two shorter ones that go in the front and rear of the heads on each side, for one. Did you get the heads off yet or no? Said you were disconnecting the driver's side grounds. I could go take pictures of some if you want.

Maybe check here and see if you can recognize any of them.
http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=2
No I have taken everything off already but the heads are on that I knew but its all the smalle bolts. I will add a photo tonight then.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:42 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Texas-Firehawk
Thats almost close to the respone I thought I was going to get from someone.
Glad I didn't disappoint.

Seriously though, I had the same problem a few years ago with my old MR2 and it sucked. Took me about 4 hours of internet searches to figure out what went where. I wish the best of luck to you.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Default Here are the pictures

http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_0080.jpg

http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_0084.jpg

http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_0085.jpg

Last edited by Texas-Firehawk; 04-11-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:18 PM
10 Second Club

which bolts are you needin to know where they go?
Old 04-11-2011, 10:20 PM
TECH Veteran

^ All of em, I guess. They can only go in one place, but just gotta watch the length issue. First time: Sammich ziplock bags and a sharpie works great! AND for long term dismantle work.

OP: How much did you take apart? Post a pic of how it is now. That will help.

The bolts with the "ball" on top are for the coil packs. Should be 8 or 10 of those.

There is one for the pass side coolant bypass, that can be bolted down and a spot for the PCV mount to bolt to that. Driver's side is just a bolt. 10mm head, about an inch long. -Same with the back two coolant plugs. So three there.

Bottom left of the first pic is for the rad support.

A tapered thread bolt always goes into a sheetmetal mounting point.

2 on the bottom left-ish look like the Alt bolts.

PS pump takes shorter ones.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 04-11-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

I have the heads on and bolted down, I have the three front rockers in on both sides. This way I have room to work without the back two rockers on. room...now thats funny.

What I really need to know is what bolts go to the electrical connections on the back of the heads?
Old 04-12-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Resident

Looking at your first picture:

the 14 bolts that have the nut cast half way down are all coil pack bolts.

The thirteen long bolts that you have on the right of this picture are rocker arm bolts.

The 4 bolts in the lower lefthand corner are the bolts that hold your radiator support down.

I'd say the 3 larger bolts on the bottom are for the AC compressor bracket.

The 6 in the middle look like manifold/header bolts.

The silver one in the middle top right is either the dipstick bolt or a ground.

The six bolts together in the top right I would say are for your coolant cross over and plugs(need 4 not sure about the other 2)

Hope this helps.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ss1le02
Looking at your first picture:

the 14 bolts that have the nut cast half way down are all coil pack bolts. Check...

The thirteen long bolts that you have on the right of this picture are rocker arm bolts. Header Bolts.....

The 4 bolts in the lower lefthand corner are the bolts that hold your radiator support down. Check

I'd say the 3 larger bolts on the bottom are for the AC compressor bracket. ???

The 6 in the middle look like manifold/header bolts. Nope???

The silver one in the middle top right is either the dipstick bolt or a ground. ???

The six bolts together in the top right I would say are for your coolant cross over and plugs(need 4 not sure about the other 2) ???

Hope this helps.

I will check this further and thanks for the help. I really need someone with an LS1/LS6 to just stop by and let me just look at theirs. Thats the only way I can do this I think. Ill have to make some calls.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:07 PM
11 Second Club

This is why I usually put the bolts in small ziplock bags and label them with a Sharpie!!! You never know when things can be misplaced. Looks as if you have recieved some good info. Good luck putting it back together. This is not a bash... Just info for future use.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

Old 04-13-2011, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Old 04-13-2011, 08:56 PM
TECH Veteran

The two bolts pictured alone are the ground bolts for the back of the head. (pic4)

And you can take a lot of that wiring stuff and tuck it in back of the engine out of the way..

-=EDIT=-
Here's all I can figure out right now. Just put the rest aside and bag what you haven't taken off yet. You can't *** it up. They only go in one place. just use some common sense when putting it back together. And when in doubt, check the depth of the bolt hole with a piece of coat hanger or something. I just haven't seen most of these in a while since I deleted a lot of unnecessary crap on mine.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 04-13-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

I remember that I had to undo two things on the right(drivers side) and only one on the left side but the three ground wires are all close together??? I do not see one on the left for some reason. There are two short wires that are close and then one longer one.

Does the longer one go all the way over to the left? Then the two lottle ones go on the right together.

When I am installing the LS6 intake DO I need the hose that runs from the passenger header around to the back thru the little black round cannister and then it goes over to the passenger side and looks like it ends pointing down to no where behind the drivers head light??
Old 04-13-2011, 10:15 PM
TECH Veteran

^IIRC, there were three ground locations on the driver's head, but I consolidated mine down to two. About prolly 6 wires, but they go on two or three botls. All of them go to the driver's side. Just divide them into two and fasten them to the back of the head with two bolts. Just do not forget any of them. They're pretty crucial.

There's no grounds on the pass head.

And it sounds like you're talking about the AIR system. I see you still have the diverter valve on the driver's side. (Round black UFO looking thing with a small vacuum line in the center.) You can delete it if you don't have emissions. The air pickup/intake tube is on the driver's side under the fuel block in the very front. The hose normally runs to the lid, or can have a small breather filter installed on it. Feeds air to the diverter valve, and that feeds air to the exhaust as needed.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 04-13-2011 at 10:21 PM.